It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

happylittlefami HB User
Quick question from someone who understand anemia levels!

I've been battling anemia since birth, but didn't know it. However, it's become a major problem in the last couple of years.

My question right now is, I had a blood draw done in December and my hemoglobin was 10.6. I had another blood draw done on Monday of this week and it has dropped to 9.2. I am a menstrating female, however, my cycles are not heavy at all. In fact, my last cycle was very light.

Last year, I had 8 weekly iv iron infusions and the blood work revealed after those infusions that my ferritin actually dropped about 6 points to 10. My hemoglobin rose to 11 after those 8 iv infusions.

I'm currently taking 1-2 cabonyl iron supplements daily, along with my multivitamin supplement. I take it with vitamin C, as I know it encourages the absorbency.

With the drop from 10.6-9.2 in the last few weeks, is that much of a drop in that period of time or is that considered normal? I've been having belly pain and I had gastric bypass surgery, so they are currently exploring the possibility that I may have internal bleeding causing the anemia. However, if that range of a drop isn't that big of a deal, I will wait the 2.5 weeks until I can get in for my upper GI study and it's going to be about 2 months before I can get in for an upper endoscopy to see inside my "pouch" which is my gastric bypass belly.

I just want to make sure I'm not having internal bleeding that can't be found because my stomach can't be accessed anymore, you know? So, would a drop of that amount be considered average for an anemic person? Also, anyone else have iv iron infusions and them NOT make your anemia better? What was the next step?

I'm also B12 deficient, so they bumped my b12 shots up to weekly instead of monthly, so that will hopefully help as well Thanks for anyone who can help me!! Still waiting on my full iron study to come back to find out the remaining levels to see what ferritin and other readings are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
(female)

rosary HB User
Re: Quick question from someone who understand anemia levels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylittlefami View Post
I've been battling anemia since birth, but didn't know it. However, it's become a major problem in the last couple of years.

My question right now is, I had a blood draw done in December and my hemoglobin was 10.6. I had another blood draw done on Monday of this week and it has dropped to 9.2. I am a menstrating female, however, my cycles are not heavy at all. In fact, my last cycle was very light.

Last year, I had 8 weekly iv iron infusions and the blood work revealed after those infusions that my ferritin actually dropped about 6 points to 10. My hemoglobin rose to 11 after those 8 iv infusions.

I'm currently taking 1-2 cabonyl iron supplements daily, along with my multivitamin supplement. I take it with vitamin C, as I know it encourages the absorbency.

With the drop from 10.6-9.2 in the last few weeks, is that much of a drop in that period of time or is that considered normal? I've been having belly pain and I had gastric bypass surgery, so they are currently exploring the possibility that I may have internal bleeding causing the anemia. However, if that range of a drop isn't that big of a deal, I will wait the 2.5 weeks until I can get in for my upper GI study and it's going to be about 2 months before I can get in for an upper endoscopy to see inside my "pouch" which is my gastric bypass belly.

I just want to make sure I'm not having internal bleeding that can't be found because my stomach can't be accessed anymore, you know? So, would a drop of that amount be considered average for an anemic person? Also, anyone else have iv iron infusions and them NOT make your anemia better? What was the next step?

I'm also B12 deficient, so they bumped my b12 shots up to weekly instead of monthly, so that will hopefully help as well Thanks for anyone who can help me!! Still waiting on my full iron study to come back to find out the remaining levels to see what ferritin and other readings are.
HappyFeet77, First I would like to say I feel most Doctors blame anemia on gastric by pass so you will now hear that from them all. I have had anemia since I was a teenager they blamed it on my period then tumors from endometriosis, then I had a hysterectomy and they blamed it on a gastric by pass...I had a blood transfusion in 1995 when I still had my period and then again in 1997. I had my by pass in 2000 and hysterectomy in 2003. My hemoglobin’s have always been below 8 when I had my hysterectomy they were 3.5 and had to transfuse me before they could do the surgery.

Now it is 2011 I had to have another infusion and the red cells are very small and my hemoglobin levels are still 8 or below. Unfortunately they do not know enough about enema no matter what they say so its easier to blame it on things like the gastric by pass and mal absorption from things like blind loop that can be caused by the gastric by pass.

I am afraid to tell you that at this point unless you get a Dr that is open minded and not afraid to look at anemia in a different light from his or her fellow Physicians you will be having B-12 shots and infusion’s the rest of your life. As time goes on your organs will become affected because of the lack of hemoglobin’s as mine are now. I have tried to tell them it is not the by pass I have been like this my whole life as my mother. They will not hear me! As a menstruating women you are at 9 that is not unusual and the drop I’m sure happened during your period; we never realize just how much we are bleeding to us it does not seem like a lot but it is usually more then you know. I say take the iron and a stool softener from time to time take b-12 shots if you can get it and do not use anti-inflammatory mediations because they can help with the loss of blood and cause more anemia. I don’t know if this will help but make sure you eat a lot of high iron and b-12 foods and enough fiber to help process it.
I’m sorry you are going through this and I hate to sound negative but when a Physician gets his head wrapped around this it is hard to move him from it. I think there are more of us out there then we will ever know and us former fatties that chose the by pass way will get the blunt of it for this form of anemia.
I wish you luck
Rose

Old 02-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

When you say "1-2 carbonyl iron supplements a day" how many mg of iron does each pill contain?

You should be aiming to get 100mg of iron per day atleast.

You might do better on ferrous sulphate tabs 65mg, taking one twice a day with some vitamon c, giving 130mg of iron per day ?

Gastric bypass can reduce iron uptake, so it might be that you will need iron infusions regularly over time to keep ypur iron topped up.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 02-20-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
(female)

carolpruitt HB User

i too had a gastric bypass the old one where about 5 feet of my small intestines were bypassed. that was 23 yrs ago. back in 2003 i started feeling like a piece of dead tissue nothing wanted to move. went to a blood doc got 3000 mg of iron within a 6 hour infusion it took 4 to 6 weeks but i felt like a new person. had so much energy. i had no idea how low my level was at that time. now here it is 2011 dragging again. went to the doc iron level was 5 hgb was 7 so got sent to a doc--he wants to give me just 500 mg at a time up to 1500 over 3 months then told me i will need to come back three times a yr. great but being retired having to pay out of pocket the first 2500 a yr (crap insurance) i want it all at once. going in tomarrow called last week asked that they give me 750 the next two visits in two weeks. of course they want to do blood work like the iron is going to raise anything in 7 days just want the money. but the bypass does do it...all the people i know that have had a bypass have the same thing it goes with the surgery . does not matter if you were anemic before this just makes you more anemia more often.

Reply Reply