It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

jlstx3500 HB User
Cant stand suppl. help please!

I have iron def. anemia my hem. stays between eight n nine. doc had me on Ferrous Sulfate 325 mg twice a day i thought i would die it made me sooo sick but stuck with it for three months. then switched to slow release tabs that were ok for about a month then they started making me feel very ill too. now i am just trying to manage with diet n taking vit c n b12. would love some advice from people managing their anemia with diet. just fyi i hate all things fishy... seafood etc. I have to get this under control the symtoms i have are too many to list without putting you to sleep but they are bad enough that I cant lead a normal active life and its sad cause I have my first grandbaby n I am missing soo much of her life because of the way i feel ALL the time. please help, Jeanette

Old 04-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Cant stand suppl. help please!

Try Sundown Perfect Iron, 2 tabs twice a day being equal to one of the ferrous sulphate twice a day. Best taken with some orange juice or a vitamin c pill.

If you cant find it localy, it can be brought at a well known online drug store that I cant name here, about $6 for 200 tablets.

It has a much better side effect profile than ferrous sulphate, and is unlikely to upset the stomach. If you do feel any stomach doscomfort, take it after food.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
(female)

jlstx3500 HB User

Ty I will definitely give it a try

Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

teri579 HB Userteri579 HB User

JLSTX, You probably have your supplement problem fixed by now (I hope you do anyway)... Do you??? I'm curious if you took your iron supplements with a stool softener? I am not reading anything about anyone doing this that has the problems with the iron and my doctor didn't tell me either. I did ask the pharmacist when I bought my Farrous Sulfate some questions though since this was my first time on iron and he said to make sure I take each one with a stool softener. So I bought them together and have been taking them together for 2 weeks with no stomach problems.

I hope that the stool softener doesn't get in the way of the absorbtion or anything. I am taking them with vitamin C each time and staying away from dairy for 3 hrs after to help absorbtion (thanks to all the great advice here on this forum!).

Are you feeling any better? I hope so. My levels will be re-rested today after 10 days on the iron... wish me luck!

Michelle

Last edited by teri579; 05-16-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
(female)

jlstx3500 HB User

it is getting better finally.. last check up hem. was up to 10. highest its been in two years. my doctor did tell me to buy stool softeners but only take them if i needed to.
every meal i eat i include at least one or more foods on my high in iron list. i take a mult b vit. as well as vit. c every day. i still have days i am sooo tired. dizzy n just want to barf but i keep going hoping that i will reach a point one day that i will have normal levels again n feel good . ty for your post i hope your doin ok too???

Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
(female)

hmm82 HB User

I don't think you can sort this by diet change only.

I can recommend ferrochel... the s. vitamins version of ferrochel seems pretty good and cheap and very gentle on the stomach. not that my experiences mean anything because I tolerate ferrous sulfate just fine too (in liquid form, never tried tablet form).

mjinteriors, initially I ate bran instead of sool softeners to add extra fiber to avoid constipation and it worked well but a few days later I figured out that I didn't need it anymore. I dunno, maybe my body got used to the iron or something. might be worth a try for you to go without the stool softener.
also, I did not eat it along with the iron, I spaced it out so it wouldn't interfere with absorption.

Last edited by hmm82; 06-14-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Reply Reply