It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

eveintexas HB User
Should I be alarmed?

Hello:
I don't know what to make of all the info I am reading about anemia so if anyone can look at the numbers below, and offer some insight, I would appreciate it!
I don't have health insurance but I have been soooo tired for so long (years, and it is getting worse) that I finally ordered some lab work on my own. I am 42 y/o female, packed on 60+ lbs (from 120-180 in the last few years). I walk daily (3 miles) and go to the Y about 4 times per week. The rest of the time I struggle through life--lots of naps. Don't sleep well at night. Am I anemic? Will OTC supplements help? Does this explain the exhaustion and weight gain?
Here are the numbers:
TIBC: 468
UIBC: 434
Iron saturation: 7
Ferritin: 11
Iron, serum: 34
Hemoglobin: 11.4

My platelets and eos are high (but they have been in previous blood tests and doctors did not seem concerned).

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
(female)

teri579 HB Userteri579 HB User
Re: Should I be alarmed?

Hi Eve; I'm not a doctor and just started learning about this stuff based on my own situation about 2 weeks ago (less actually). But I'll try to help.

No, I would not be alarmed. I would see your doctor to have him/her interpret this for you though. I stayed away from the doctor for more than 10 yrs, thinking I was healthy (I do take my kids to the doctor though)... but now that I got my own crazy test results (mine are alarming) and the diagnoses that are coming from them, I see that I should have gone to the doctor for a routine physical at least every couple of years and this might not have turned into such a big deal (I now have to have surgery but my blood levels are so dangerously low that it's dangerous but I can't avoid the surgery or that would be dangerous too bla bla bla). This should have been caught years ago and it's my fault for avoiding the doctor.

I'm wondering since your levels don't look 'that' low to me, could it be your thyroid? I don't recognize some of your numbers, maybe some of those are thyroid and I don't know how to interpret them. Doesn't a thyroid problem cause fatigue and weight gain?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I do think that you could have a doctor interpret them for you though - either through a routine visit, or maybe make a copy for your doctor and ask if they can look over your numbers and if you could have a quick consult rather than a full blown office visit since you don't have insurance? I don't know if they do that or not.

Good luck!

Michelle

Last edited by teri579; 05-11-2011 at 05:40 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teri579 For This Useful Post:
eveintexas (05-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Should I be alarmed?

I don't think your tet results are low enough to cause weight gain and being tired.

Your ferritin level is a little low and you may need some extra iron in the form of chelated iron -- produced by Solgar.

I think you need to have your thyroid checked. The wieght gain could be caused by hypothyroidism.

I wish you well---Harry

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
eveintexas (05-14-2011)
Reply Reply