It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
(female)

ReallyTruly HB User
Won't stop bleeding!

I'm 48 and have been taking iron and provera for anemia for about a year. If I miss a dose of iron...just one dose, I get breakthrough vaginal bleeding. It's pretty heavy too...last time this occurred(two weeks ago!), I had to double up on my iron and provera to stop it. Does this happen to anyone else?

My hemoglobin was 13 last month, so I thought I was getting better!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
(female)

hmm82 HB User
Re: Won't stop bleeding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyTruly View Post
I'm 48 and have been taking iron and provera for anemia for about a year. If I miss a dose of iron...just one dose, I get breakthrough vaginal bleeding. It's pretty heavy too...last time this occurred(two weeks ago!), I had to double up on my iron and provera to stop it. Does this happen to anyone else?

My hemoglobin was 13 last month, so I thought I was getting better!

I guess you mean you missed the dose of provera, not the iron. hemoglobin level doesn't have anything to do with breakthrough bleeding (in terms of it not causing it)... progesterone withdrawal does.
what doesn't sound too normal is that it would not stop...you should ask your doctor about that.

Last edited by hmm82; 06-17-2011 at 09:16 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to hmm82 For This Useful Post:
ReallyTruly (06-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

ReallyTruly HB User

No, I absolutely did not miss the provera dose...which is why I'm a little concerned. I wasn't sure about the iron, but it was the only obvious possibility.

Since then I've quadrupled my provera dose; I'm still bleeding. With my platelet number being, well, not low in the sense of dangerous because platelet levels can go much much lower, but low enough to contribute to this bleeding, once it got started. My legs are a bit better, but last week it looked like someone hit me repeatedly with a stick; I was black and blue all over! No petechiae or nosebleeds, though, that's good. I'm going to keep increasing the provera until the bleeding stops. I've also left a message with my doctor to confirm that it's safe for me to do so.

I've done some research, and the most likely cause of the bleeding is uterine fibroids. Of course, the treatment is often provera, so that's convenient. You are correct, I must go to the doctor, and soon.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
(female)

jocool HB User

HI there

Is it possible your estrogen levels have spiked at all? If you look up Estrogen Dominance in Google you will find a wealth of info related to fibroids and heavy bleeding in general. (and allergies which shocked me to be related)

I once took to many BC Pills and the bleeding was intense. Since then I have learned a ton about the body having too much estrogen (it's amazing how many corners of your life are bombarding you with it every day). I had fibroids and cysts for four years causing all kinds of fun inside but educating myself did make all the difference.

I had also learned through a ton of hormone tests that I was ovulating two times each month.. causing added bleeding out of the blue. Because my doctors (no doctors it seems) can't relate fibroids to estrogen, they will not bother testing you for imbalances.. but when I corrected that problem it also stopped some bleeding. So I had a few things going on and when I got to them all.. I got better.

So if you get the popular "watch and wait" don't get down, don't get frustrated.. get busy! Do some homework and start at estrogen dominance in Google. The fixes seem so darn simple.. (which is why they are so worth a try!) and they work for so many women. But for sure see the doc to eliminate anything else first and get an actual diagnosis.

Reply Reply