It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
(female)

DeniseA HB UserDeniseA HB User
muscle twitching, spasms and tingling= iron deficiency?

For a little over 2 months ago, I have been experiencing wide spread muscle twitching (chin. lips, tongue, calf, hand..everywhere!) as well as muscle stiffness in my right calf muscles. I also have facial tingling on the left side of my face. Its been really scary. I went to the hospital yesterday and was diagnosed with Iron deficiency anemia. I don't know if the count is different in the States but my iron count was at 18 and my hemoglobin was in the hundreds. I believe it was 130. My doctor said that I have thalassemia. My red blood cells are small. The red blood cell count is normal however. Does that make sense? Could that be the cause of my twitches, tingling and spasms? Should I start taking iron supplements?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: muscle twitching, spasms and tingling= iron deficiency?

I'd make an appointment with your family doctor before you start supplementing - although your iron sounds low, thalassemia can cause iron overload, in which case supplements would be a bad idea. I'd take a copy of your test results and ask for a treatment plan and propper diagnosis

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks Jonnstar for your response. I was able to get my report today.
Some of the results were abnormal.

RDW: 16.0 --high---- Normal range: 11.5-14.5
MCH: 25.5 --low---- Normal range: 27.5-32.5pg
MCV: 78.4 --low---- Normal range: 80-98 fL
RBC: 5.32 -- high---- Normal range: 4.0-5.1 x10**12L

Hemoglobin is normal at 136 normal range is 120-160 g/L

My test also states that I'm low in chloride. 100 normal range 101--111 mmol/L

Do you think this could be reason why i have all of those symptoms?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Denise, I'm not sure why you have those symptoms, but I doubt that they are due to Thalassemia. I have Thalassemia too, and the only symptom people may have is some fatigue. And not everyone will even feel this symptom. Just like jonstar said, DON'T take iron supplements. I would ask your doctor to give you more info about this anemia. Take care,...janiee

Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks for the response Janiee! I spoke to my doctor yesterday and she said that I'm definitely anemic. She diagnosed me with Iron deficiency anemia. I was given a prescribtion for Euro-Fer. I was told to take it for 4 months and and come back. I also dont believe I have thalassemia. Hopefully this will work

Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Why did your doctor say that you had Thalassemia?...janiee

Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
(female)

I dunno? She's the doc.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
(female)

hmm82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseAnnette View Post
For a little over 2 months ago, I have been experiencing wide spread muscle twitching (chin. lips, tongue, calf, hand..everywhere!) as well as muscle stiffness in my right calf muscles. I also have facial tingling on the left side of my face. Its been really scary. I went to the hospital yesterday and was diagnosed with Iron deficiency anemia. I don't know if the count is different in the States but my iron count was at 18 and my hemoglobin was in the hundreds. I believe it was 130. My doctor said that I have thalassemia. My red blood cells are small. The red blood cell count is normal however. Does that make sense? Could that be the cause of my twitches, tingling and spasms? Should I start taking iron supplements?

I don't think the muscle twitching is from iron deficiency but who knows..

did they not test your ferritin?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #9
(female)

Yes, they did check my ferritin levels. It was 18. Normal range being between 11 and 307 g/L accord to my records. My doc said it is in the normal range but on the lower end of course. Mostly now what I get are headaches, paresthesia of face, fatigue, stomach aches and random twitching. I'm pretty sure that I'm low in vitamin d as well. I'm thinking of getting it checked but my doctor doesn't seem concerned. "everyone is low on vitamin d in Canada..." EMG was normal. I'm going to insist on getting a MRI of spine and brain for MS. Wish me luck guys.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
(female)

hmm82 HB User

Quote:
Yes, they did check my ferritin levels. It was 18. Normal range being between 11 and 307 g/L accord to my records. My doc said it is in the normal range but on the lower end of course. Mostly now what I get are headaches, paresthesia of face, fatigue, stomach aches and random twitching. I'm pretty sure that I'm low in vitamin d as well. I'm thinking of getting it checked but my doctor doesn't seem concerned. "everyone is low on vitamin d in Canada..." EMG was normal. I'm going to insist on getting a MRI of spine and brain for MS. Wish me luck guys.
how about checking vitamin B12 levels?

B12 deficiency can cause paresthesias and anemia

Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm82 View Post
how about checking vitamin B12 levels?

B12 deficiency can cause paresthesias and anemia
Vitamin B12 is normal at 361. Normal range being 133-675 pmol/L. Just got back from my appointment with an internist. (i was reffred to her) she told me that in fact i dont have anemia. My iron is low, probably because of that time of the month. But its not that low to be causing my problems. I'm thinking magnesium or vitamin D deficiency but I'm losing hope on that too. I dont want to think that it's neurological but unfortunately I'm starting to believe so. Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
(female)

hmm82 HB User

Quote:
Vitamin B12 is normal at 361. Normal range being 133-675 pmol/L. Just got back from my appointment with an internist. (i was reffred to her) she told me that in fact i dont have anemia. My iron is low, probably because of that time of the month. But its not that low to be causing my problems. I'm thinking magnesium or vitamin D deficiency but I'm losing hope on that too. I dont want to think that it's neurological but unfortunately I'm starting to believe so. Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions.

well, some people say 361 is far from optimal. did they check homocysteine? better test for B12 (and folate) deficiency.

but I just reread your first post you say your hemoglobin was 130?? you are right that's definitely not anemic. also, how was your MCV?

anyway I hope you can figure out the cause of this issue.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
(female)

Actually, my hemogolbin was 136. My MCV was 78 which is low. 80-98 fL being normal. I don't think that it's low enough for me to be a anemic or cause my symptoms. Like the doctor said. It just might be my B12? Maybe I should try a low dose supplement and see if the that works. I'll def look into folate deficiency. Thanks again for everything!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
(female)

debmul HB User

Please, please have them check your potassium, calcium and magnesium levels!! Magnesium is not often checked as routinely as potassium and calcium, but a deficiency causes the exact symptoms that you've described. It can be very dangerous for the levels to go low. I know...I've had those exact symptoms and am currently taking a huge amount of magnesium to stay within normal limits. I also took calcium and potassium for a while, but those are normal now. I'm also anemic. No answers (yet, but I'm hopeful!) as to why I'm losing the magnesium, but I am taking 3,200 mg per day in order to stay 'normal'. If I cut it back, the level drops and I have to get emergency care (IV infusion), so I stay on the 3200 mg and maintain the normal level.
One doctor described magnesium as the "******* electrolyte" that no one ever checks because it's rare for it to be abnormal. Thank goodness he had the experience to check it after seeing and hearing my symptoms! Please get checked soon and let us know what you find out!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
(female)

hmm82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmul View Post
Please, please have them check your potassium, calcium and magnesium levels!! Magnesium is not often checked as routinely as potassium and calcium, but a deficiency causes the exact symptoms that you've described. It can be very dangerous for the levels to go low. I know...I've had those exact symptoms and am currently taking a huge amount of magnesium to stay within normal limits. I also took calcium and potassium for a while, but those are normal now. I'm also anemic. No answers (yet, but I'm hopeful!) as to why I'm losing the magnesium, but I am taking 3,200 mg per day in order to stay 'normal'. If I cut it back, the level drops and I have to get emergency care (IV infusion), so I stay on the 3200 mg and maintain the normal level.
One doctor described magnesium as the "******* electrolyte" that no one ever checks because it's rare for it to be abnormal. Thank goodness he had the experience to check it after seeing and hearing my symptoms! Please get checked soon and let us know what you find out!

interesting. the problem with diagnosing magnesium deficiency is that supposedly serum magnesium can be still in the normal range while being symptomatic. I'm not sure how but that's what they say. according to recommendations, in this case if deficiency is still suspected, it's worth trying a bit of magnesium supplementing for a few days and see if it helps. anyway when I had mine done, that was in the higher part of normal range, so I should be good to go I guess. not that I have these muscle twitching symptoms but sure good to know.

anyway I will be curious to hear the results if the OP gets it checked.

Last edited by hmm82; 07-26-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Reply Reply