It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
(male)

argons HB User
How much iron is too much?

Approx 6 weeks ago, my last blood test showed that my ferritin was at <2, which she said meant it was basically 0 or not registering at all, because "<2" was the lowest possible number they had. I've been on 150 mg elemental iron (FeraMax 150) once a day, since then. I'll be going to get retested next week to see if it's helping.

Obviously I'll ask this to my doctor when I go see her regarding my test results, but what I'm wondering is if it's ok for me to take TWO 150 mg capsules of elemental iron per day (at one time, because that's what works best for me at the moment) ?

Is it totally pointless, can you ONLY do that if you split it up throughout the day, will that much kill me? I just want to start feeling better sooner than later, cause this really sucks.

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
(female)

Clare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB User
Re: How much iron is too much?

Hi Argons, I was wondering if you knew the reason why your level was so low? With thanks. Clare x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
(male)

argons HB User

I've had some stomach issues for a few years that have resulted in a lot of vomiting... and that has resulted in lack of absorption. It's gotten 75% better over the last 2 months, and with my doctors, I AM working on having it completely resolved soon, I hope. For now, the only time I can be almost positive I'll have a good length of time with no vomiting is overnight, because I'm asleep. That's why I like to take all my pills just before bed, if at all possible.

The following user gives a hug of support to argons:
Clare1975 (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
(female)

hmm82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by argons View Post
Approx 6 weeks ago, my last blood test showed that my ferritin was at <2, which she said meant it was basically 0 or not registering at all, because "<2" was the lowest possible number they had. I've been on 150 mg elemental iron (FeraMax 150) once a day, since then. I'll be going to get retested next week to see if it's helping.

Obviously I'll ask this to my doctor when I go see her regarding my test results, but what I'm wondering is if it's ok for me to take TWO 150 mg capsules of elemental iron per day (at one time, because that's what works best for me at the moment) ?

Is it totally pointless, can you ONLY do that if you split it up throughout the day, will that much kill me? I just want to start feeling better sooner than later, cause this really sucks.

Thanks!
if your stomach can tolerate 300mg at once then it's OK.

however, probably not a lot more iron will absorb from 300mg than from 150mg. so I don't think it will speed up recovery that much, just a little

Old 07-30-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
(male)

argons HB User

(xtremefatloss: )That means nothing to me. Especially because I'm speaking about elemental iron. I have virtually NO iron in my system, so you're telling me I should be aiming to get the same as a normal person?

Anyways, I asked my doctor if I could double my FeraMax150, and she said sure, as long as I can handle it and it doesn't cause mega constipation. Been doing that about a week.

My last blood tests showed my Ferritin finally registering at "2" (after 6 weeks of iron supplements), and my hemoglobin had actually gone down a little. She said probably because it was SO depleted, it's kind of still going down before it starts going up. I dunno. This is gonna be a LONG road.

Last edited by argons; 07-30-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Reply Reply