It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
(male)

md55 HB User
How Long for Low B12 Symptoms to Improve?

Hi everyone,

For about a year, I was suffering from major fatigue and trouble concentrating. 2 months ago, I found out my B12 level was around 240, so my doctor put me on 1000 mcg/day sublingual B12 tablets. I just went back to get my tests done (after 2 months) and my levels are now up to around 675. I feel a bit better in terms of the fatigue and concentration but the symptoms are still bothersome. My question is, how long does it usually take for the symptoms to clear once my levels are back up?

My iron levels are normal and I am going to get my folate levels checked as well since I've read all 3 should be within normal range.

Thanks for all your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
(female)

hmm82 HB User
Re: How Long for Low B12 Symptoms to Improve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md55 View Post
Hi everyone,

For about a year, I was suffering from major fatigue and trouble concentrating. 2 months ago, I found out my B12 level was around 240, so my doctor put me on 1000 mcg/day sublingual B12 tablets. I just went back to get my tests done (after 2 months) and my levels are now up to around 675. I feel a bit better in terms of the fatigue and concentration but the symptoms are still bothersome. My question is, how long does it usually take for the symptoms to clear once my levels are back up?

My iron levels are normal and I am going to get my folate levels checked as well since I've read all 3 should be within normal range.

Thanks for all your help.
hemoglobin normal too? by iron did you mean they checked ferritin too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

teri579 HB Userteri579 HB User

I don't know specifically about the vitamin B12 deficiency but I know by reading lots of posts about other deficiencies and since I had a few of my own recently that everybody is different. Our chemistry is so different that no two are alike. I was convinced that my hemoglobin and ferritin levels would take months to rise based on what I read and it simply was not true for me. My dangerously low levels rose pretty dramatically after only 10 days on Farrous Sulfate. But there are others on this forum that took a year to make the progress that I made in that 10 day period.

Drink lots of water too, I know that years back I was on a diet and doing well on it but was getting tired and somebody told me to make sure I was drinking lots of water, it can make you cranky and fatigued if you are dehydrated. To this day, I need to remember to force myself to drink water - it's like keeping a machine (our bodies) well oiled

Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
(female)

hmm82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjinteriors View Post
I don't know specifically about the vitamin B12 deficiency but I know by reading lots of posts about other deficiencies and since I had a few of my own recently that everybody is different. Our chemistry is so different that no two are alike. I was convinced that my hemoglobin and ferritin levels would take months to rise based on what I read and it simply was not true for me. My dangerously low levels rose pretty dramatically after only 10 days on Farrous Sulfate. But there are others on this forum that took a year to make the progress that I made in that 10 day period.

Drink lots of water too, I know that years back I was on a diet and doing well on it but was getting tired and somebody told me to make sure I was drinking lots of water, it can make you cranky and fatigued if you are dehydrated. To this day, I need to remember to force myself to drink water - it's like keeping a machine (our bodies) well oiled

well haha after reading stuff here I myself thought I would be like at 20 (for ferritin) when I went for follow up blood test after 2.5months of iron supplementing. nope, it was about 100! just fine, no longer need to take the load of iron.

I think that should be the normal response, if someone doesn't respond to the treatment fast, then they have either 1) absorption issues or 2) still losing iron in an undiscovered way or 3) bad at taking their supplements. or +1 maybe thyroid issues mess with iron metabolism too? not sure but I seem to recall someone here said that

Last edited by hmm82; 07-26-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Reply Reply