It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

S Babush HB User
Iron stores

I had gastric bypass surgery in 2005. I have been doing well. Then, in March, I began to feel week and dizzy and experience hot flashes though I am definitely post menopausal. I checked myself into Beth Israel hospital in New York for 4 days. They told me I had been exatremely anemic and gave my 3 iron infusions. They sent me for and outpatient endoscopy and colonoscopy to make sure that there was not internal bleedking. I passed with flying colors. The assumption seemed to be that my surgery had made it difficult to absorb iron from food. I now take 120 units of iron a day in pill form.

Last week I went to see hemotologists PA and take blood tests. She answered me back yesterday and told me that while my"iron is fine" my "iron store" was low. Frankly I do not understand the difference. She left a message and had clearly not spoken to my doctor because she was recommending another colonoscopy.

What is the difference?
What can cause low blood stores?
Has anybody else had gastric bypass surgery and had this result? What do you do about it?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
(female)

Gailflorida HB User
Re: Iron stores

Hi, I can share my experience. I had gbypass in Aug 1989, in Dec 1990 i developed awful stomach pain, went to ER, they did nothing, ended up a week later passed out at work.
taken to ER again with bleeding ulcer, ( I guess from stomach acid from Gbpass) got 2 pints blood ) I thought I was fine. However in 1998 getting ready for jaw surgery MY blood count was too low for surgery 7. So I was sent to a hemotogist who said my iron was low and need infusion. I had one 1998 and 2000. Got my iron stores up he said.
Recently June 2011, I felt very fatiqued, so I went to walk up clinic and asked for iron blood test said it was 9.5 very low. So i went to Hemotogist again and he gave me another
infusion treatment last Tuesday. I did not feel this bad last time in 1998. So I am hoping to feel better soon. He did recommend a colon check since I am 62. So I dread that.
The way he explained it to me, Your Iron stores deplete if you have a bleed or your body does not absorb iron due to the gastric bypass. One or the other. Keep me posted on your
condition hope it gets better soon. My H told me not to both taking
iron as It is waste of time, not being absorbed. So will she follow up test to see if your iron is being absorbed.

Last edited by Gailflorida; 07-31-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply