It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

blondeandblue HB User
IV Iron Infusion vs. Iron Injections

Hi everyone,

I am new here and there seems to be alot of confusion over IV iron infusion vs. iron shots. I have chronic Iron Deficiency Anemia, and have been this way for a couple of years. My Hemoglobin is currently in the high 70's, but it has sometimes reached the 100 mark (normal range is 120-150) so after discussions with my Hematologist, I will start IV iron infusion at the hospital (they do this closely monitored at the cancer centre where I live) next week. If I tolerate the first 2 infusions, then I have the option of seeing my family doc for shots or going to a private clinic for future infusions. I was assured that there is no difference between the shots and the IV (the IV simply requires an hour more of your time....lol) and the side effects are rare. I will let you know how I make out, but for those of you who are anxious, dont worry!!

Michele

Old 10-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
(female)

Alexis8368 HB User
Re: IV Iron Infusion vs. Iron Injections

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeandblue View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new here and there seems to be alot of confusion over IV iron infusion vs. iron shots. I have chronic Iron Deficiency Anemia, and have been this way for a couple of years. My Hemoglobin is currently in the high 70's, but it has sometimes reached the 100 mark (normal range is 120-150) so after discussions with my Hematologist, I will start IV iron infusion at the hospital (they do this closely monitored at the cancer centre where I live) next week. If I tolerate the first 2 infusions, then I have the option of seeing my family doc for shots or going to a private clinic for future infusions. I was assured that there is no difference between the shots and the IV (the IV simply requires an hour more of your time....lol) and the side effects are rare. I will let you know how I make out, but for those of you who are anxious, dont worry!!

Michele
hello:

I have been on Venofer 100 mg. IV infusions for 4 years now. No side effects. I have to go every 8 weeks to a hematologists office in my area for the infusion. It takes about an hour or so, and is more annoying than anything else. I am also iron deficient aenemic, my ferratin is always very low.. the lowest being 2 back when I started. I first tried the iron shot (IM) intra-muscle (buttocks) and that did nothing to move my stores after 8 weekly injections! The only thing it did was leave dark spots at the injection site! Nice! I was always slightly aenemic, but having gastric bypass surgery in 11 years ago made it much worse due to malabsorption issues. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply