It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
(female)

LueQ HB User
My iron level is 8...

Hi,
I'm new to this board.Today, I was told that my iron level was 8! I am worried and not quite sure what my immediate future will be like or what I can do to deal with my active and demanding life.

I am 48 years old married with 4 children (11-15-18-21) and I work full time. My symptoms are ; always tired, out of breath, lightheaded, heart palpitations and I"m having more and more issues with my concentration at work. Tomorrow morning, I will start taking iron supplements...

What else can I do? Any suggestions?

I just want to curl up in my bed and not move for a while...but I need to go on as a wife, mother and at work! I would appreciate any help or advise you may have.

thanks,

Lue

Old 10-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
(female)

Diamond20 HB User
Re: My iron level is 8...

Hi Lue,

Sorry to hear your in the same boat as i've been, my readings was as low as 8.0 and 9.0 that's when you at your lowest because for a woman in good health it should be 13.5.

I've got megolablastic anaemia through it again and i'm taking a folic acid tablet daily and a B12 Jab every 3mths for life.

I recommend you ask what anaemia you have plus it sounds like you need building up with the B12 injections, sometimes they stop them after so long or give them you for life but i know what your going through symptoms wise and sleep is the worst part of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
(female)

Monetg98 HB User

Hi there I was diagnosed with Moderate Microcytic Anemia.... here are my numbers from Late august 2011 CBC:
RBC 4.68 (3.80-5.10)normal ranges
WBC 6.5 (4.0-10.5)normal ranges
Hemoglobin 9.3Low ((11.5 -15.0)normal ranges
Hematocrit 32.9Low (34 -44) normal ranges
MCV 70Low (80-98)normal ranges
MCH 19.9Low (27.0-34.0)normal ranges
MCHC 28.3Low (32.0-36.0)normal ranges
RDW 19.5High (11.7-15.0)normal ranges

Symptoms: Lightheadedness, weak/fatigue,easy excertion, dizziness, arm&hand tingling and slight numbness on and off in arms and hands. My thought process is foggy, sometimes i can not concentrate or think clearly, mild chest pain or palpitations. Doctors tell me im slightly anemic...but ive been told being slightly anemic is not the same as low iron. I would have to go to a hemotalogist to get the numbers on my iron count.
Doctors tell me I have vertigo because i am dizzy. Others say I have anxiety and panic disorder thats why im having all these symptoms. I dont think so! Yes Im having anxiety and panic attacks, because I am stressed out and worrying about these Anemia symptoms! Im tired of feeling this way, and these regular doctors dont listen and I cant afford to go to a Hematologist until november! Also I have very heavy periods each month, Gushing blood on the first 36 -48 hours of my period, because of my fibroid. It was 5cm last March 2010. My entire cylce last 6-7days. No bleeding in between periods.
I took iron 325mg for late august and all of september 2011, once a day.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
(female)

Corindu HB User

H there,

My situation is quite similar and I'm so glad I found this information. I thought that I was going crazy and didn't think that simply life stresses could cause my symptoms of lightheaded, dizziness, anxiety, heart palpitations, difficulty concentrating, fatigue, poor memory, sore eyes and head pressure etc.
But found out last week that my iron level is 8, which I understand is quite low.
I'm 47 and have 4 adult children, my period is now really short 3-4 days with only 1 heavy day. I was also diagnosed with a cyst on my left ovary and she said it looks like it's bleeding or had been bleeding, however I don't bleed between periods, so I'm really confused. I'm also lacto-ovo veg (fish at least 1x/week) and eat really well so I'm not sure if my iron stores are depleted b/c of my diet or some other reason. She said to take proferrin 2x/day and she'll recheck my iron stores in 3 months and also check for celiac. Also, another ultrasound in 1month. Has anyone else felt these same symptoms and thoughts on this problem. Even concentrating to write this was tough, Thanks!

Corindu

Reply Reply