It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
(female)

khy HB User
Low ferritin and B12 - no diagnosis

Hi all,

This is my first post so bear with me.... I am a 26 year old female and I had a low ferritin (11) picked up on a routine blood test, along with a slight high ESR of 25. My GP put me on Ferrous Sulphate 200mg twice a day for 3 weeks and then tested me for Coeliacs, which came back negative. My ferritin had increased to 43, my ESR was slightly raised still and they also found that my B12 was a bit low at 169. They've prescribed B12 injections and tested me for Pernicious Anaemia which has also come back negative so seem to think it is dietary. I really doubt this as I have quite a good diet, eat meat pretty much every day (although not always red meat) and also dairy products every day, along with lots of vegetables. I've read that dietary B12 deficiencies are usually only found in strict vegans?

I have some vague gastrointestinal problems such as bloating, occasional constipation/diahorrea but generally feel well. Had some fairly bad food poisoning a few years ago while in S. America which my GI tract seems to have never fully recovered from.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? My GP seems to want to think it's dietary and leave it at that but I'm not sure.

Last edited by khy; 11-11-2011 at 03:48 AM.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
(female)

lyssabugg HB User
Re: Low ferritin and B12 - no diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by khy View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post so bear with me.... I am a 26 year old female and I had a low ferritin (11) picked up on a routine blood test, along with a slight high ESR of 25. My GP put me on Ferrous Sulphate 200mg twice a day for 3 weeks and then tested me for Coeliacs, which came back negative. My ferritin had increased to 43, my ESR was slightly raised still and they also found that my B12 was a bit low at 169. They've prescribed B12 injections and tested me for Pernicious Anaemia which has also come back negative so seem to think it is dietary. I really doubt this as I have quite a good diet, eat meat pretty much every day (although not always red meat) and also dairy products every day, along with lots of vegetables. I've read that dietary B12 deficiencies are usually only found in strict vegans?

I have some vague gastrointestinal problems such as bloating, occasional constipation/diahorrea but generally feel well. Had some fairly bad food poisoning a few years ago while in S. America which my GI tract seems to have never fully recovered from.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? My GP seems to want to think it's dietary and leave it at that but I'm not sure.
I can't tell you what's wrong, but I'm going through something similar. I'm more anemic than you, and your b12 is lower than mine. I had a celiac blood test which was negative, but my doctor still thinks it may be celiac so I did a barium swallow, and I'm going to do an endoscopy. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about running those tests? My doctor said anemia with Def b12 is normally an obsorption issue, like celiac. Don't cut glutton until u have ruled out celiac. If its still negative, try cutting glutton and see if it helps with your stomach... And good luck on anemia. Read my post and see of it sounds similar. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply