It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

chickeb2 HB User
Question Help - Mom Anemic,going to oncologist, cbc reading

I hope someone can get me an answer. My mom just told me that she had been to her Dr. to get routine blood work after her 70th birthday. Here are the results:
WBC L 3.7 K/uL
RBC L 3.8 M/uL
HGB L 12.3 gm/dL
HCT L 36%
MCV 95 fl
MCH H 33 pg
MCHC 34 gm/dL
RDW 13.9%
Platelet 209 K/uL
MPV *8.2 fl
Absolute Neut 2.10 K/uL
Absolute Lymph L 1.20 K/uL
Absolute Mono 0.30 K/uL
Absolute EOS 0.10 K/uL
Absolute Basos *0.00 K/uL
Neutrophils 56%
Lymph 31%
Monocytes 8%
Eosinophils 4%
Basophils 1%

She was confused and I spoke to her nurse, she didn't give me a lot information, but she did say she is Anemic and her Dr has sent in a referral to an oncologist. Someone please help me understand what they are seeing. I am driving up so I can go with her to the Dr. As you can imagine, she is worried, I have brought down some of her anxiety by telling her that you hear of people all the time with Anemia and that's nothing to worry about. Clearly, I'm concerned would just like to have a heads up what all this means before hearing it the first time with her.

THANK YOU!

Connie

Old 11-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
(male)

DaleP HB User
Re: Help - Mom Anemic,going to oncologist, cbc reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickeb2 View Post
I hope someone can get me an answer. My mom just told me that she had been to her Dr. to get routine blood work after her 70th birthday. Here are the results:
WBC L 3.7 K/uL
RBC L 3.8 M/uL
HGB L 12.3 gm/dL
HCT L 36%
MCV 95 fl
MCH H 33 pg
MCHC 34 gm/dL
RDW 13.9%
Platelet 209 K/uL
MPV *8.2 fl
Absolute Neut 2.10 K/uL
Absolute Mono 0.30 K/uL
Absolute EOS 0.10 K/uL
Neutrophils 56%
Lymph 31%
Monocytes 8%
Eosinophils 4%
Basophils 1%

She was confused and I spoke to her nurse, she didn't give me a lot information, but she did say she is Anemic and her Dr has sent in a referral to an oncologist. Someone please help me understand what they are seeing. I am driving up so I can go with her to the Dr. As you can imagine, she is worried, I have brought down some of her anxiety by telling her that you hear of people all the time with Anemia and that's nothing to worry about. Clearly, I'm concerned would just like to have a heads up what all this means before hearing it the first time with her.

THANK YOU!

Connie
From my understanding a normal RBC for Women is 4.2 to 5.4 million/uL
Anemia can be serious if left untreated, "please" consult with your doctor before doing anything. NovaFerrum is a good prescription iron that you may want to consult with your doctor about. A good physician will guide you on what you need to know. All the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

Pax1 HB User
Re: Help - Mom Anemic,going to oncologist, cbc reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickeb2 View Post
WBC L 3.7 K/uL
RBC L 3.8 M/uL
HGB L 12.3 gm/dL
HCT L 36%
MCV 95 fl
MCH H 33 pg
MCHC 34 gm/dL
RDW 13.9%
Platelet 209 K/uL
MPV *8.2 fl
Absolute Neut 2.10 K/uL
Absolute Mono 0.30 K/uL
Absolute EOS 0.10 K/uL
Neutrophils 56%
Lymph 31%
Monocytes 8%
Eosinophils 4%
Basophils 1%

THANK YOU!

Connie
They sent me to an oncologoist too..but it was just because if one of those numbers is low the other one is too high or the other way around...the oncologist didn't seem concerned about it and said that the numbers would be right again once the anemia was under control.

How did it work out with your mom?

Reply Reply