It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
(female)

neeta123 HB User
Unhappy Low Ferritin, High B12 and Transferrin Saturate

Hi, to try and cut a long story short. My ferritin levels were found to be low years ago. I finally found the correct iron tabs (Fersamal 210mg, high in elemental iron) and after 3 months they shot up to 88. Great, but then if i don't continue with the iron tabs they go back down again (now 29). I put it down to heavy periods, but for 4 months now I have been taking a contraceptive pill (Cerazette) to stop my bleeds (which has it's own side effects) to help me retain my iron. This so far has not worked. Looking back over the years my B12 has also been above normal levels and my doctors say it's nothing to worry about, and my transferrin saturate has also been above normal levels but my GP tells me the same thing. I just want to understand (1) why my ferritin keeps getting low (and when it does I normally catch everything under the sun and get sick and have no energy to do anything and work is not happy with me takin so much time off, and I then feel depressed because I can't do my sport, which is worrying) - (2) why my B12 is above normal levels even though I don't take any supplements and (3) what it all means. I just want my mojo back, this has been going on for 10 years now after taking anti-depressants (which i now refuse to go back on) and not being able to pursue sports because instead of invigorating me, it exhausts me. Please help, am so fed up!

Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
(female)

neeta123 HB User
Re: Low Ferritin, High B12 and Transferrin Saturate

Hello out there? Is there something I am doing wrong, as I see alot of people have viewed my question, but no one has responded after several days of being posted, I could really do with some help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
(male)

DaleP HB User

Before anyone tells you anything you should get advice by a licensed physician and run some labs on you. If your anemic I encourage you to ask your doc to consider a high potency prescription iron supplement - don't waste your time and money on the OTC stuff. There is a popular new prescription liquid iron out called NovaFerrum and don't be concerned about the taste - it has a good taste to it. I know it's helped lots of folks get the zing back in their step... You can look it up on the web - ask your doc about it.... hope this helps

Last edited by DaleP; 11-29-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Why not just keep taking the iron every day, if it keeps you healthy?

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
(female)

neeta123 HB User

Thanks so much for that, I will give the liquid iron a try as you have mentioned. I do take iron supps (fersamal 210mg x 3 a day) but that causes other side effects (mainly stomach probs and joint pain). Can you tell me what OTC means? Thanks again, much appreciated for your response!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
(female)

neeta123 HB User

Hi, I do take iron tablets (fersamal 210 mg x 3) but as you can see it's quite a high dosage with its own side effects taking them long term (ie. stomach and joint pain). I am also taking a contraceptive pill purely to stop my months so that my iron levels do not fall, but after 4 months on this (and these too have their own side effects) it doesn't seem to making any difference. As soon as I stop taking fersamal my ferritin drops from 88 down to 29 and I feel exhausted. I've even been tested for Coleac (as my brother and sister have it) but I am negative. I just want my energy back and after years of this, it becomes rather frustrating. What I really want to know is why I my body doesn't seem to retain my iron levels and what I can do to help myself (as naturally as possible). Thanks for your response.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
(male)

DaleP HB User

Oh my gosh neeta, Fersamal, aka ferrous fumarate, is an iron salt and wreaks havoc on your GI track. You're taking it three times a day and after theses three doses you're only getting 60mg elemental iron which is the key iron component that addresses anemia. In addition, ferrous fumarate, being an iron salt, that is the transporter of the elemental iron, is not absorbed well at all and in the end you're not getting much of the iron you need.
OTC, Over The Counter, irons are not regulated by the FDA and in my humble opinion, are mostly junk.
The NovaFerrum I mentioned to you about is a gastroferrin and is readily absorbed in the small intestine bypassing the stomach. You only take it once a day and you're getting 100mg of the elemental iron you need minus all the side effects. Go to your doctor, if he or she hasn't heard of it, tell them to look it up on the internet, there is a website on the product.
It's available only by prescription and so you will have to visit with your doctor, but "please" I encourage you to visit with your doctor and ask to be switched from what you're taking. NovaFerrum is popular for doing the job minus the side effects. Keep us apprised - all the best..

Old 12-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
(female)

neeta123 HB User

Hi again, thank you for that, I just hope I can get it over this side of the planet, i have emailed my doctor's surgery but have not heard back, however a friend who is involved in the pharmaceutical business has come back and said "if she is in UK she can go in the pharmacy and ask them for NIFEREX PAEDIATRIC SYRUP 30ML ... this product has same Polysaccharide Iron Complex".... do you know much about that and whether it's as good please?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

OTC means over the counter

As you're in the UK, you wont be able to get the iron supplement dale suggested (its American)

Can I suggest you buy some Vitacost Ferrochells 45mg? They are avaliable off of the internet for about $12 for 300 capsules, the dose is one a day, prferably with either a glass of orange juice or a vitamin c tablet.

This wont cause the stomach problems your regular iron does.

A daily multivitamin such as Centrum (or the Tescos generic) would also be a good idea.

Your high B12 is probably just good luck - your body is efficient at adsorbing and storing it, it isnt anything to worry about.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 12-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
(female)

neeta123 HB User

Thank you Johnstar. It's so lovely when people are out there supporting people like me. You have no idea how hard it is to get this support where I am from and it's been a long and lonely road at times as this has been going on for years, so it 's uplifting when people like you and DaleP bother. I will do as you suggest in the hope that my energy levels return and I can get back into doing some sport that I miss so much. Thanks again x

Old 12-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
(male)

DaleP HB User

Hello neeta,
Once again, what jonnstar is recommending to you is an iron salt and is not what you need. The Polysaccharide Iron Complex is Nifrex is a good call and will be absorbed in to your system - far better than an iron salt. And please, don't take Centrum, in my opinion it's junk and it certainly isn't the quality of iron you need. Ultimately do not listen to me or to anyone else on this board, but listen to what your doctor has to say. If that doctor doesn't give you the answers you need than find another. Bounce what information you have received on to him and let him make the final decision.

Last edited by DaleP; 12-14-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
(female)

neeta123 HB User

- Hi DaleP, Thanks again. The Polysaccharide Iron Complex (Nifrex) that you mention, is this something I can buy OTC or does it need prescribing? I appreciate too what you say about not listening to you or anyone else on this board and listening to what my doctor says, but unfortunately this is my third doctor and tbh they don't take much notice with low ferritin levels and don't know alot about it this side of the planet. My current level is 29 and the normal range is 8-205 so they consider mine to be normal (so therefore ignored) even though my symptoms of fatigue and picking up every God forsaken virus and infection are very real to me and have dehabilated my life in rather an extreme way. So, I have to do all my own research as they don't seem to be interested. I found out on the internet to have optimal health your ferritin levels need to be at least 70. It may be hard to believe, but I have met other people here who have exactly the same problem with other ailments that seem to go on and on and on with no answers or support from their GP's or Consultants, at least in that I am not alone. It's very hard to find a doctor here who (1) isn't rushing to get you out of the door with a common prescription that covers alot of ailments as they have a queue of people to see and (2) wants to get to the bottom of why you're not improving, they're happier with giving you repeat prescriptions and so therefore it seems more of a money making exercise. Cynical as it sounds, that's been my experience in the last 12 years. This is why I joined such a board, I need as much support as I can get.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
(male)

DaleP HB User

Hi Neeta,
I regret to hear that you have been challenged in the field of medicine where its left you to your own accord. That being the case, to answer your question, I'm not certain if you can or not where you live, but you should be able to get Nifrex without a prescription (if not ask your doctor to write you a script). If you cannot find it, just as long as what you do get has Polysaccharide Iron Complex you should be good. Also, make certain what you have has a good dose of elemental iron in it - that's what gets your ferritin levels to goal.

Last edited by DaleP; 12-15-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
(female)

Pax1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeta123 View Post
- Hi DaleP, Thanks again. The Polysaccharide Iron Complex (Nifrex) that you mention, is this something I can buy OTC or does it need prescribing? I appreciate too what you say about not listening to you or anyone else on this board and listening to what my doctor says, but unfortunately this is my third doctor and tbh they don't take much notice with low ferritin levels and don't know alot about it this side of the planet. My current level is 29 and the normal range is 8-205 so they consider mine to be normal (so therefore ignored) even though my symptoms of fatigue and picking up every God forsaken virus and infection are very real to me and have dehabilated my life in rather an extreme way. So, I have to do all my own research as they don't seem to be interested. I found out on the internet to have optimal health your ferritin levels need to be at least 70. It may be hard to believe, but I have met other people here who have exactly the same problem with other ailments that seem to go on and on and on with no answers or support from their GP's or Consultants, at least in that I am not alone. It's very hard to find a doctor here who (1) isn't rushing to get you out of the door with a common prescription that covers alot of ailments as they have a queue of people to see and (2) wants to get to the bottom of why you're not improving, they're happier with giving you repeat prescriptions and so therefore it seems more of a money making exercise. Cynical as it sounds, that's been my experience in the last 12 years. This is why I joined such a board, I need as much support as I can get.
I ran into the same kind of problem in that I suffer from Fibromyalgia, which has similar symptoms (apart from the not being able to breathe well thing) so I didn't think there was anything additionally wrong with me. Being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia sucks, but teh worst part is that if you have anything else that they can't figure out they think it's Fibromyalgia..especially if you have a doctor who doesn't put much stock into Fibromyalgia. My anemia brought me dangerously close to a heart attack or stroke and if it weren't for a standard blood test for something else it would have been missed entirely. You have to take control of your own health issues and not assume that the doctor knows everything

Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #15
(male)

DaleP HB User

Pax makes a good point, that's why they call it the "practice of medicine." Like any profession, there are good doctors and bad doctors. This is when you go get a second opinion or even a third one. Hear what worked for other people on this board, but then take it to your doctor. I agree with Pax in respect that you need to find a doctor who will spend time with you and not just rush you out of his office.

Reply Reply