It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
(female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User
Re: Had my first iron infusion and extremely fatigued

@geogal--how low were your ferritin levels pre and post iron infusions?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
(female)

lfurer HB User

@geogal - Thank you so much for sharing your experience! My doctor told me that, after my first iron infusion (two weeks ago), I'd feel like a million bucks the next day. And then I spent the following day completely unable to make it out of bed. When I went in last week for the second infusion, I told her about how tired I had been, and she blamed it on the rainy weather! I felt like maybe I'd been making the whole thing up. After the second infusion (last Friday), I was tired again. I've been searching online for someone to confirm that it's possible that an iron infusion could be what caused me to feel to tired. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
(female)

geogal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness Seeker View Post
@geogal--how low were your ferritin levels pre and post iron infusions?
I had no detectable ferritin apparently before the infusions. I don't remember the numbers after but the nurse said they were awesome! I am starting to get a bit exhausted again. I'm holding off going back in. I have a check up in two months and unless it gets really bad, I'll just wait.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
(female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User

@geogal--how long do u have to be on infusions? Mine is a single digit very low too. I'm taking poly iron. i have /had fibriods so my monthlies are super heavy, which may contribute/compound to the situation.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #20
(female)

geogal HB User

Well, seven months later and had my third infusion. Did not go well. The infusion itself was much easier. I just slept through the entire thing and didn't feel really ill the next morning. However, by that afternoon, I was so sick. I had a headache that felt even beyond migraine strength. I couldn't even rest my head on my pillow because the pressure was too much. I had violent vomiting for two days and could not keep any medication or food down. I ended up having vomiting and diarrhea for the next two weeks. It was not fun. It has been several days since I got sick and I am hopeful there is still iron in me and that I'll have energy soon. I'm still napping daily. I've been told that because of my reaction, they'll be switching my iron and they want to wait a month before trying a new one. Sort of makes me sad because I've been told that the Dextran is the quickest acting and it sure worked for me back in December but I just cannot go through this again. It really was so awful.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
(female)

geogal HB User

Just another quick reply. After having an upper endoscope, they found esophogitis and a hiatal hernia. There is a possibility that that is causing the anemia. They want to do another colonoscopy though just to rule out anything else.

I had that bad infusion a couple months ago. A month later my ferritin levels were at 40 or so so no infusion needed. One month later, they are down to 19. I have another check in a month to see if I need another infusion with another type of iron. I am just dropping iron quickly it seems. Would love to hear some other updates from the folks that have posted on this thread.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #22
(female)

mystikk HB User

Hi, I am having my first iron infusion on Monday Dec 24, my level is at 5 right now, dr is concern, so I will have this done for the next few weeks, I am worried about being so tired since I am flying to DR on Tuesday Dec 25, not sure how I will feel on my vacation, kind of worried after reading some of the post here. Due to my anemia I have developed PICA, I would eat at least two cups of uncooked brown rice, and it is so satisfying to me. I am hoping this craving goes away once my iron level goes up. will post my updates

Old 10-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #23
(female)

bella blue HB User

Hello, I just had my first blood transfusion because of anemia. It was at 7.5 and when I left the hospital it was 9.5. I took 150MG of Elemental Iron and when I got rechecked almost 2 weeks later, it is 11.5 and normal is 12. I am still tired and fatigued with overall good health but I had a nurse tell me it could take several weeks. Anyway, something I found out from my Nutritionist which a Doctor will not tell you because Doctors know medicine, not nutrition. Most Iron and Vitamins have Magnesium Stearate and this coating on the pill keeps it from absorbing into your system. You can check the ingredients but most likely if it is a pill form, it has Magnesium Stearate. I could never understand why I could not absorb over the counter Iron. My Iron is Elemental Iron (the best and easiest to assimilate) and it is in a gelatin capsule. Try it, it worked for me and brought my Iron levels where they need to be.

Reply Reply