It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

geogal HB User
Had my first iron infusion and extremely fatigued

Hello.

I have struggled with iron-deficiency anemia for about a decade. My hemoglobin levels bounce around between 6 and 9 and have actually been lower on a few occasions. I began the iron infusion therapy on Friday. Now, granted, when my levels are low, I am tired. However, I slept a lot during the next two days after the infusion. Four days later and, after minimal activity (i.e. doing dishes), I feel I need to lie down.

Has this happened to anybody else? My next infusion is next week. Should this get better soon?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
(female)

geogal HB User
Re: Had my first iron infusion and extremely fatigued

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogal View Post
Hello.

I have struggled with iron-deficiency anemia for about a decade. My hemoglobin levels bounce around between 6 and 9 and have actually been lower on a few occasions. I began the iron infusion therapy on Friday. Now, granted, when my levels are low, I am tired. However, I slept a lot during the next two days after the infusion. Four days later and, after minimal activity (i.e. doing dishes), I feel I need to lie down.

Has this happened to anybody else? My next infusion is next week. Should this get better soon?
Well, six days later and yesterday I woke up and felt like I came out of a fog. Still a bit tired but the absolute fatigue is gone. I also gained a good amount of weight after the infusion (from the IV???) but that suddenly dropped off yesterday and today as well. I see people are reading this so I'll try and update after my second infusion next week to let you know if I have the same side effects or not.

Last edited by geogal; 12-07-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I'd think that within 10 days you'd start to feel better, as the new blod cells begin to percolate through your system.

A daily Centrum with dinner might be a good idea, to provide all the other bits and peices the body needs to make blood apart from iron.

If you're still feeling this way after 14 days, speak to your doctor.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 12-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
(female)

wandtmac92 HB User

I hope you're feeling better today...

The 1st time I received treatment I felt horrible even fluish for days which is normal. I had to receive 3 treatments in a 6 week period before the word normal was used. I now receive them ever 8 to 10 mos. Not everyone has to continue to be monitored but my body simply refuses to absorb any iron it consume. I've been a very good eater my adult life and for some reason my level have been low since the age of 30. I'm now 41 and I've learned to not push myself when extremely tired.

I wish you the best of luck.
Traci

Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
(female)

Pax1 HB User

I had four infusions, one a week for four weeks. After the first one, I kind of got a rash, but after that they were fine.

It's hard to tell if the infusion makes me tired as I feel tired anyway. My level was also at 6 but it's come up considerably now. I am not symptom free however which is what I want.

the good part of the infusions is that you get the iron without the side effects of the iron pills.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
(male)

DaleP HB User

Pax,
Your level is at six your gonna need seething a bit stronger than an OTC. It blows my mind how some people on this board are recommending a daily supplement to someone who is anemic. If you take an oral, stay away from the iron salts - especially if your on a PPI or an H2 antagonist. I understand that you want to have a clearer sense for a solution, but some of what is said on this board is scary. Please go see your doctor, let them run a lab, and make a determination. They have a much clearer understanding about you than some people on a chat board. Hope you get better - all the best.

Last edited by DaleP; 12-14-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
(female)

geogal HB User

I really appreciate the replies. Thank you! Two weeks later and I feel quite a bit better. I'm not fatigued. I am still taking a late afternoon nap when the tiredness really sets in but afterward I have some energy which was not happening before. I was supposed to have my second infusion yesterday. I had changed it from the week before and had to change it again. I now have it Monday. I'm a bit nervous because I don't want to go through that intense fatigue and flu-like feeling again. I do really think this is working though so I am hopeful that my levels are a bit higher and it won't be so tough on me?

Interesting side effect of the infusion though...I have been a serious ice chewer for the last couple years due to the anemia. The craving has been overwhelming and I go through cups of it daily. Immediately after the infusion, everything tasted odd and I no longer wanted ice. I am not craving it and it does not taste good to me anymore. Has that ever happened to anybody else?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
(female)

geogal HB User

Update two days after my second infusion:

Felt really fatigued again after the infusion. Slept most of the day and a bit of the next. I wonder if it is not so much the iron as the Benadryl. I tend to be really affected by medications. They Benadryl pretty much knocked me out both times after they started it in the IV. Last time I did feel ill and I am sure that was the iron but this time I am only tired. Had more energy today though so I am really thinking this iron is working. I have an appointment to check my levels the first week of January. I'll post and update then as well.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
(female)

Pax1 HB User

Quote:
Update two days after my second infusion:

Felt really fatigued again after the infusion. Slept most of the day and a bit of the next. I wonder if it is not so much the iron as the Benadryl. I tend to be really affected by medications. They Benadryl pretty much knocked me out both times after they started it in the IV. Last time I did feel ill and I am sure that was the iron but this time I am only tired. Had more energy today though so I am really thinking this iron is working. I have an appointment to check my levels the first week of January. I'll post and update then as well.
It is the Benadryl. It wipes you out. But the first infusion I didn't have the benadryl and I got hives. I finished my fourth infusion a few weeks ago and I'm feeling pretty good now. I still get worn out kind of quickly but not nearly as much as I was before the infusions

Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
(female)

geogal HB User

Just had to leave an update. I am sure my exhaustion after the infusion was the Benadryl. But, like the other poster stated, I'd rather be exhausted than rashy (or worse!). I had two infusions and, oh my goodness, I feel so much better. I cannot even begin to tell you how wonderful it feels to have energy. I've gone so long without it!

I had two infusions. No, they weren't easy on me physically but I am so thankful for them. I had my check up several weeks ago and my iron levels look excellent! They couldn't even detect iron in me before the infusion. My hemoglobin levels are up to 11 which is still just a little low but I haven't had levels that high since I can remember! I feel so much better. My next check up, if there are no issues, is this summer.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
(female)

bleetchblonde HB User

Please, Geogal,
Keep us updated (me)about your iron infusions.
I've been severely iron deficient for 2 1/2 years now & think I'm getting closer to the infusions. (can't tolerate oral iron).
While I'm a bit nervous about the infusions, I get a better feeling reading more recent posts about them. When I hear you're feeling better, it gives me hope, where I feel pretty hopeless now.
Good luck, I hope you continue to feel alive again!!
Thank you,
Debbie

Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
(female)

bleetchblonde HB User

Please, Geogal,
Keep us updated (me)about your iron infusions.
I've been severely iron deficient for 2 1/2 years now & think I'm getting closer to the infusions. (can't tolerate oral iron).
While I'm a bit nervous about the infusions, I get a better feeling reading more recent posts about them. When I hear you're feeling better, it gives me hope, where I feel pretty hopeless now.
Good luck, I hope you continue to feel alive again!!
Thank you,
Debbie

Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
(female)

peggydwi HB User

Quote:
well, six days later and yesterday i woke up and felt like i came out of a fog. Still a bit tired but the absolute fatigue is gone. I also gained a good amount of weight after the infusion (from the iv???) but that suddenly dropped off yesterday and today as well. I see people are reading this so i'll try and update after my second infusion next week to let you know if i have the same side effects or not.
what is iron infusion? I had blodd transfusions in the hospital. Little confused.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
(female)

bleetchblonde HB User

I go for my 2nd & last infusion tomorrow.
I too, was very tired-more than usual. But I don't think it was from the benedryl as I take benedryl every night because my sinuses stuff up.
I was very tired, like my body was just put thru something...you know?
So I expect to be tired more than usual tomorrow & the next couple days. I stocked up on what I need.
And if I'm not tired, then Yay!!!
Overall geogal, do you feel better? More energy?
I'll check in the next couple days.
Debbie

The following user gives a hug of support to bleetchblonde:
geogal (03-17-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
(female)

geogal HB User

Hi Debbie (and anybody else reading this).

Oh my goodness, I am just so recommending this for anybody who struggles with anemia. Several months later and I feel great. I am not kidding when I say I probably haven't had this much energy since before my daughter was born. I' gained about 10 lbs which surprised me. I guess I'm hungrier as well? But, I'm back into walking and have lost about half that.

Yes, infusions weren't easy on me. That exhaustion afterward was not fun but if my levels are ever that low again, I'll be in there in a heartbeat. Wish I had done this years ago. I feel like I've lost years where I could have been doing so much more, you know?

The minute I find out anybody has struggled with anemia for years, I recommend this.

So, Debbie, how are you doing?

Last edited by Administrator; 03-18-2012 at 08:34 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to geogal For This Useful Post:
lfurer (04-17-2012)
Reply Reply