It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

esme13 HB User
iron makes me feel crazy! need advice

Hi-
I'm just another woman with an iron deficiency that doctors aren't interested in treating! I feel terrible. I'm honestly thinking that life isn't worth living if I continue to feel so bad. I have a wonderful husband and 11 year old daughter and I'm just not the wife and mom I want to be to them feeling this way.

The symptoms started about a year ago... heart palpitations, constant anxiety/panic feelings for absolutely no reason at all, shortness of breath, dizziness, achy muscles, headaches, fatigue, falling asleep accidentally all the time, can't sleep at night(), Restless Leg Syndrome.

I'm 35 and I have moderate 8-9 day periods every 24 days. I eat really well (no junk, organic, etc.) and am not a vegetarian. I have untreated H. Pylori which isn't causing me much stomach distress right now. I also have mitral valve prolapse and I'm taking a low dose of Bystolic(beta blocker) for that.

Last January my doctor did a blood test and my Ferritin was 10. She said to take OTC iron pills. I tried every different type and formulation and they all made my stomach feel like it was being stabbed and I felt high/drunk on them. After I took them I was so spaced out and dizzy I couldn't even drive! I felt just crazy!

In Nov. I went to see an Internist and my iron levels were:
Total Iron: 68
Saturation: 18%
Ferritin: 16

He too told me to take iron supplements; no specific dose. I am able to tolerate beef liver pills as well as low doses of "whole food" iron (Mega Food Blood Builder). I take those at about 60mg combined a day. After almost 2 months I am actually feeling worse! He mentioned IV iron, but I'm worried I will feel even worse from that than just from the iron pills.

I have an appointment with a Integrative Medicine doctor, but not until the end of Feb. I can't wait that long to feel even a little better. I'm just not sure what to do!

Anyone else feel high, drunk, out of control, crazy, dizzy, spaced out, etc on iron? Do my numbers look the least bit alarming? I just feel certain that an iron deficiency is the cause of all my symptoms. I need some wisdom and advice!

Thank you!

Last edited by esme13; 12-22-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: clarity

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
(female)

gingers HB User
Re: iron makes me feel crazy! need advice

I'm new to a low iron diagnosis and just started iron yesterday so I have no advice. I just wanted to say I hope you've gotten some answers and are feeling better. *hugs*

Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
(female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User

Have you tried ferrous bisglycinate? I buy them as "Easy Iron" at the local whole foods store. So far they are the only kind that don't do a number on my stomach.
I haven't experienced "high/drunk" feelings with any iron pill though - I wonder if that's an interaction with your other meds? Do you take them more or less together?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
(female)

CatValentine HB User
Lightbulb Re: iron makes me feel crazy! need advice

Hi, I'm 15.
When I got my diagnosis my iron level was 7. By then I felt like crawling in a hole and dying. Anemia's symptoms can be very similar to that of depression and anemia and general can take a lot out of you, especial when your periods are long or heavy. My advice to you is a very iron filled breakfast and to take one or two iron supplements with milk. I take mine with milk just to keep from getting belly aches. Sometimes the iron supplements and healthy eating just don't seem to be enough, I understand, the only way I have to deal with this is to grin and bare, I know that sounds horrible, but that's the only way I know! Also if these certain symptoms worsen there's a chance that instead of anemia you have depression, or both

Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
(female)

CatValentine HB User

I totally misread this, it's absolutely normal to feel or get that way, my friends tease me about it all the time!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Hey Cat! Drinks such as tea, coffee and milk tend to interfere with your body's iron absorption. Have you noticed this or has it effected your numbers much, just curious?

Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

When I was taking iron pills, I was in a bad mood pretty much all the time, (I'm certain it was from taking large doses of iron). I have since stopped taking iron pills, and started eating more food with iron and supplementing with Vitamin C. My iron level is probably still low, but at least I'm not in a bad mood all the time. I guess it's a catch 22!

Reply Reply