It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

sally73 HB User
First post: Ferritin level 5.4

I'm a 38 year-old woman and have been feeling horrible--dizzy, faint, fatigued, etc. Went to the doc and my blood test came back with a ferritin level of 5.4. She said to take supplements and come back in 6 weeks and if it's not higher I will have to go to a hemotologist and/or get an IV or iron. I bought Bifera (iron supplement) last night at the drug store. I'm a little freaked. Can someone tell me how abnormal this is and how I can fix it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User
Re: First post: Ferritin level 5.4

Anything under 10 for ferritin is considered low. Did you get a hgb level.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
(female)

sally73 HB User

No--getting information seems to be like pulling teeth. But I am going to try to get them to send me the results so I have a full picture.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Post your results when you get them, the hgb level will show if you have anemia.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
(female)

sally73 HB User

She said hemoglobin was 12.9

Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
(female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

Welcome to the club! My ferritin level was 5. My hemoglobin was 10.7. I am surprised you doctor didn't tell you which iron supplement to take. Mine recommended ferrous gluconate, and wrote a prescription for it. Ferrous sulfate is pretty common, too. Depending on your other conditions, the doctor should have told you which one to take. I would check with them. The oral irons are hard on the stomach, and lots of times people won't stick with them. The ferritin level is a measure of how your iron stores are. It takes time to rebuild. The docs will tell you the ferritin level is not what makes you feel bad, but I have a hard time believing it. I get very exhausted. Since I started the iron a month ago, my ferritin level is up to 12. I thought I would eventually get iron injections or IV iron, but a doctor I work with said they don't like to do that unless the hemoglobin gets much lower. It is a slow, frustrating process. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
(female)

sally73 HB User

I found my doctor's instructions--which came from her assistant, very confusing. She said to take Feosol, but then she said to take it twice a day and to take 325 mg. I find that very confusing, because first of all, the Feosol are 45 mg per pill, and the instructions say to take no more than 1. Does that make any sense to you? I wish she would have just written me a prescription. I am so tired of feeling horrible. They said if my levels haven't gotten better in 6 weeks, then it's an IV of iron and I go to a hemotologist. Another thing that was weird was that my sodium levels were low and my cholesterol was high. I looked that up and that combination with the low ferritin levels seems to be indicitive of hypothyrodism, which runs in my family. But my hypothyroidism test came out normal. I have gained weight like crazy--it is totally out of control, and I'm exhausted and feel dizzy and sometimes nauseated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
Welcome to the club! My ferritin level was 5. My hemoglobin was 10.7. I am surprised you doctor didn't tell you which iron supplement to take. Mine recommended ferrous gluconate, and wrote a prescription for it. Ferrous sulfate is pretty common, too. Depending on your other conditions, the doctor should have told you which one to take. I would check with them. The oral irons are hard on the stomach, and lots of times people won't stick with them. The ferritin level is a measure of how your iron stores are. It takes time to rebuild. The docs will tell you the ferritin level is not what makes you feel bad, but I have a hard time believing it. I get very exhausted. Since I started the iron a month ago, my ferritin level is up to 12. I thought I would eventually get iron injections or IV iron, but a doctor I work with said they don't like to do that unless the hemoglobin gets much lower. It is a slow, frustrating process. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hi, I am on ferrous fumarate 305mg twice a day if that helps you at all. I am also exhausted all the time and suffer from dizziness particularly if I stand up suddenly or move to quick. Like you I am really fed up with feeling horrible all the time, my doctor said this is because the body has to work harder on account of the low iron.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
(female)

sally73 HB User

Thank you! Do you take a particular brand, or did your doc prescribe something? I have both Feosol and Bifera and am not sure what I should be taking. Also, do you get headaches? I have had horrible headaches and last night I had one so bad it woke me up and kept me awake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenda View Post
Hi, I am on ferrous fumarate 305mg twice a day if that helps you at all. I am also exhausted all the time and suffer from dizziness particularly if I stand up suddenly or move to quick. Like you I am really fed up with feeling horrible all the time, my doctor said this is because the body has to work harder on account of the low iron.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

My doctor prescribed it, the brand name is Galfer but as I live in Ireland you might nit recognise the name. It is available OTC, I also have the headaches in the top half of my head kind of from the ears up. How about you?

Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
(female)

sally73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenda View Post
My doctor prescribed it, the brand name is Galfer but as I live in Ireland you might nit recognise the name. It is available OTC, I also have the headaches in the top half of my head kind of from the ears up. How about you?
Mine tend to be behind my right eyeball.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
(female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

Ferrous sulfate 325mg is the most common dose. It usually also says it has 65 mg of elemental iron in it. I am not sure why, but that is how it is labeled. The drawbacks with the ferrous type iron is they cause stomach upset and constipation. I think a lot of people give up on taking them because of this. Polysaccharide iron is supposed to be easier on the system. My previous doc put me on something that really worked, and I will probably go back on it. It was called Anemia Guard by Perque. I bought it on the internet from a supplement store. My current doc is more traditional, so I am going through the motions, but the other one was into integrative medicine. A lot of the supplements were crazy, but this one was good.

Reply Reply