It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User
Smile anemia and severe shortness of breath

Do any of you anemia suffers have severe shortness of breath with onset of physical activity (ie leisure swimming, walking up a hill, walking up stairs in the house?).

I was diagnosed with anemia 5 yrs ago and i 've seen diff MDs, some of whom asked me to take iron supps. I had fibroids which were removed almost 3 yrs ago, but still have heavy periods. I now don't take any supps but was thinking of going back. The last time I checked, the hema was "lower" than the range, but they told me that I was no longer anemic b/c it wasn't "at low enough levels".Last year's ferritin levels were 5. THe yr before was better, was 9. Hematocrit 35.9. Hemaglobin fluctuates borderline, just under range.

Is it necessary to see a hematologist? I never did and I wonder if I should since the regular Mds don't seem to really care. Who should I be seeing for low ferritin levels and borderline just out of range hemaglobin?

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
(female)

Monetg98 HB User
Re: Ferritin levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness Seeker View Post
Do any of you anemia suffers have severe shortness of breath with onset of physical activity (ie leisure swimming, walking up a hill, walking up stairs in the house?).

I was diagnosed with anemia 5 yrs ago and i 've seen diff MDs, some of whom asked me to take iron supps. I had fibroids which were removed almost 3 yrs ago, but still have heavy periods. I now don't take any supps but was thinking of going back. The last time I checked, the hema was "lower" than the range, but they told me that I was no longer anemic b/c it wasn't "at low enough levels".Last year's ferritin levels were 5. THe yr before was better, was 9. Hematocrit 35.9. Hemaglobin fluctuates borderline, just under range.

Is it necessary to see a hematologist? I never did and I wonder if I should since the regular Mds don't seem to really care. Who should I be seeing for low ferritin levels and borderline just out of range hemaglobin?

Thanks.
Fitness seeker you and I are in the same boat. Read my other post on this thread. You need to see a hematologist. Regular doctors, dont specialize in blood disorders, and most dont care and will tell you anything! I had one doctor tell me that a ferritin level of 15 was fine, but another one tell me it was too LOW! and was causing my dizziness and light headed feeling. Now ive dropped to an 8 and i feel like crap!! today is not my day. Im tired and yes to walk up the stairs makes me feel tired!!!! i get dizzy and liightheaded a lot. I can barely stand up to cook some days. I feel foggy headed and cant think straight. Its like everything is in a haze. I just started back taking 325mg of ferrous sulfate 3 timea a day. But i only do it twice. It makes me sick, if not taken with enough foods. Im 31 and feel 90!! I cant wait to get my insurance this week and see a hematologist... then my GYN to get rid of these fibroids! My hemoglobin is 9

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
(female)

@monet, thanks. What type of fibroids do you have? I never realized my periods were heavy and long b/c growing up i had no sisters and aunts and we never talked about these things. I always had long periods--7 days since i was a teen. At some point it went to 10. I first started seeing a gynecologist after i was diagnosed severely anemic. I never knew who to see for anemia. I thought a family MD. But after that, i saw a gynecologist. Ok, i later wondered if i was supposed to see a hematologist. I guess i' will now. I've seen so many Mds for these problems ppl think i'm crazy. (i didn't know if the shortness of breath was related to a lung/heart /breathin issue or was it related to the anemia...or both).

how often do you get tested to "monitor" your ferritin/iron/hema?

My ferritin/iron is still 'alert' low after the fibroids surgery. I wonder if htat's normal. And is it normal to have "within or close to within range" of hema but super low ferritin.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
(female)

Monetg98 HB User

i dont know what type of fibroid i have. I had one 9cm fobroid removed june 2009 and they found another one during my preganancy in 2010. After my periods started back in December 2010, they got heavier and heavier....Then in august 2011, i noticed the symptoms.... and then got blood tested and the MD told me to go see a Hematologist. But now they are monitoring it, until I see my GYN and remove these new fibroids. They are 3 cm....do you ever get dizzy or lightheaded?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

@Monet-I only get dizzy when i bend down to pick something up that i dropped on the floor or to tie shoes, etc. My main prob is i'm exhausted and fatigued alot (but this could be due to sleep debt, insomnia, sleep apnea).....i get shortness of breath walking up a hill/stairs or any physical activity.

My fibroids were causing heavy bleeding and heavy pains. They were 'submucosal'. Do/did you get alot of pain? If not, they say it doesn't need to be dealt with. I had mine done outpatient. Was your surgery outpatient or inpatient?

The family MD that i saw for 2-3 yrs had me do a 2nd ultrasound after I had my surgery, b/c she keeps thinking the anemia was causing the shortness of breath. So i did have another ultrasound done, which showed re-growth. But since then I'm trying to get an accurate diagnosis from a hospital, b/c the family MD just wasn't thinkking out of the box and we were not making any progress. She just told me to consider another surgery.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
(female)

Monetg98 HB User

Fitness, I has inpatient surgery. Abdominal Myomectomy, 2 days in the hospital. I didnt have any pain, jusyt heavy bleeding. My period lasted 7 days, but the first 2 days gushing blood, changing pads every 30 mins. I sleep with an adult diaper now on my first day, just so i can get sleep!!!!! Some doctors dont care and when I find a doc who does not care, I MOVE ON. Im so sick of some of them....Its our health, we gotta look out for us. Doctors are becoming very sloppy with diagnosis.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
(female)

@monet--yes, mine are quite heavy as well. I use the thickest pad there is (recently i went overseas for vacation and they dont even carry THICK pads like they do in the US!) and i sometimes double-pad. Yes, a year ago, I too started using Depend as well, not only at night but during the day too, esp the first few days. I got so sick of cleaning the sheets, my mattress, underpants, etc.

I have cluster fibroids so there are many of them, but the surgery took care of 3 prominent ones. Not sure if it's even feasible to get most of them.

So what changes did you see after the surgery? I used to have severe cramps that radiate pretty badly. I would have to hold my breath and sometimes hold my tummy b/c the pain is so sharp and sudden. AFter my surgery i didn't get the those sharp cramps. It went from 10 days back to 7 days, but i think they are still very heavy.

Do you have trouble falling asleep during your period? i notice that i get particularly sensitive and can't seem to sleep during that time at night and my legs get very weak and exhausted, prob due to the severe blood loss.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
(female)

anwhaley84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness seeker View Post
@monet, thanks. What type of fibroids do you have? I never realized my periods were heavy and long b/c growing up i had no sisters and aunts and we never talked about these things. I always had long periods--7 days since i was a teen. At some point it went to 10. I first started seeing a gynecologist after i was diagnosed severely anemic. I never knew who to see for anemia. I thought a family md. But after that, i saw a gynecologist. Ok, i later wondered if i was supposed to see a hematologist. I guess i' will now. I've seen so many mds for these problems ppl think i'm crazy. (i didn't know if the shortness of breath was related to a lung/heart /breathin issue or was it related to the anemia...or both).

How often do you get tested to "monitor" your ferritin/iron/hema?

My ferritin/iron is still 'alert' low after the fibroids surgery. I wonder if htat's normal. And is it normal to have "within or close to within range" of hema but super low ferritin.
yes my hemo is 11.8 my ferritin is only a four probly from when i had my baby and my hemo dipped down to a 6.8 and it used the storage(ferritin) and nvr built it back up they say it can make you feel like crap it can't hurt you unless it start's bringing your hemo to low

Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
(female)

Ok I will take the advice of some of you ladies, by contacting a hematologist for the low/non existent ferritin I have. I had been questioning my MD but nobody ever really cared. Some say take supps. Once it went back i was told not to take supps. I've been suffering on/off w/ symptoms that may/may not be related and just need to really be leading a normal life.

Now some of you also mentioned thyroid issues. When I first went to get a 2nd opinion at this hopsital i went to a gynecology b/c i thought that's who i'm supposed to see for the anemia (and she sent me to an internist). she looked over my labs over the yrs and did say she was concerned w /the 'elevations'. my thyroid levels started with 2+ and over the course of 3 -4 labs it went to 3.5 or so. She didn't know what to make of it and sent me to an internist, who didn't seem to care much but sent me for other tests for my symptoms of 'shortness of breath'.

Shd i follow up and see an endocrinologist (?) for the thyroid issue? She did run a test checking free t3 and t4 which came out within range. Is it normal for the thyroid numbers to jump so much ?

Thank you all. This health forum has been very helpful and supportive. i've been finding answers here that i haven't been able to get from my MDs. We need to continue to keep supporting each other.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
(female)

Monetg98 HB User

Fitness Seeker, after my surgery, my bleeding got way under control!! I bleed less and had more energy. During my period i do find it hard to sleep, already uncomfy from the heavy bleeding, but it seems my PMS is worse than ever. I feel very very tired and weak all over once my period starts and days after. My period ended a week ago, and im just feeling more strength and less dizzy/lightheaded. I feel lightheaded and dizzy when i bend my head too. Doctors really dont care,I went to the ER because i was dizzy and a doc gave me a scrip for valium!!!! yes, valium!!! another said i had vertigo, and most said my dizziness was ANXIETY!!! When a recent doct told me , your iron is too low, thats why you are feeling like this! So those other docs saw my numbers, but didn't care and misdiagnosed me, sad!!!! Right now as I lean forward to type this, I feel dizzy/lightheaded...like my head feels big. And im a little tired, I just want to live a normal life too! I want the on and off brain fog to go away!, not to mention the headaches, ugh!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
(female)

@monet-how frequently do you get blood tests to "monitor' your iron levels? THe last test i had was 1 yr ago so I requested for another test. What does your hematologist order, just iron/ferritin? Does he order any B12, Vit D levels?

Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
(female)

Monetg98 HB User

@Fitness, I usually get my bllod checked like twice a a year. But since september 2011, ive had it done 15 times, because these symptoms have had me in the ER and different doctors..All want to give different diagnosis. I haven't been able to see a hematologist, because I dont have insurance yet. As soon as I get it, I will go to one. I was told to go to one way back in august 2011. I know everything will go through soon and I will get it taken care of. Right now i take 325mg ferrous sulfate 3 times a day. A doctor at a free clinic gave me a scrip for that. I have to get restested in 4 weeks

Old 02-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
(female)

Monetg98 HB User

No one has ever checked my b12 or D. BUt when I get insurance, i will get all that done

Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
(female)

@Monet, Glad to hear you're getting your insurance. Is it a PPO insurance? PPO is alot better b/c it gives you the flexbility to see whomever you want. When i first purchased insurance I had to get a HMO and it was pure hell.

What's the diff betw OTC iron and prescription other than the prescription is higher dosage? Are your pills very big? I was given a sample 4-5 yrs ago when i first tested at a clinic for severe anemia...but they were so big it caused a gagging reflex, so I just bought oTC ones...I bought one that is a combo of B12/iron/folic acid.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
(female)

Monetg98 HB User

No, I applied for the state medicaid program. I have been applying for a YEAR! and they always said I had too much income. I had to be either broke or preggers. Yes, pregnant!! I dont have enough money to afford insurance though. I told them it was not fair, that women from other countries and US women, could lay up and have baby after baby and get free health care. But here i am very anemic, fibroids, bleeding heavy, really heavy, low income and cant get any help???!! So I went to the ER in late 2011 and this case worker ask how would i being paying. I told her I couldnt, my income is low. She went ahead and did a medicaid app for me and I was approved. See I take care of my sisters and other workers in the past kept saying their SSI was like my income too, cause its in my name. Which is not true, thats their money!!! LOL. My mom died and that is used to care for them and it not even much! But anyway the worker that approved me, said that their income was NOT suppose to be added as mine and that those previous workers were just lazy.
So now im just waiting on the final word. Im praying!! The best iron is the scrip kind of ferrous sulfate 325mg, cant get any stronger than that, lol. The pills are small too. Actually never heard of big iron pills. FYI- you should only take pure iron pills, dont get combo pills. Because it cuts down the amount of iron you need to fix anemia. You should get them separate, but always check with a GOOD doctor first

Reply Reply