It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
(female)

LoveMyCollies HB User
Feeling Awful After Iron Infusions

Hi,This is my first post .Ive been having IV Iron Infusions over recent months due to my Ferratin Level being really low and low haemoglobin .A couple of weeks ago my Ferratin level was down to 2 and haemoglobin 8.3 and dropping ,walking was so painful , Im so breathless ,I was itching all over and this time even my vision was effected as well as the exhaustion etc .This week Ive had another IV iron infusion and feel dreadful .Last time was similar ,on the second day I had flu type symptoms and felt terrible but this time I feel even worse .On top of the anaemia symptoms (as obviously the Iron infusion hasnt kicked in to help yet) Ive again got the flu type symptoms,very painful joints aching all over ,constant headaches and dizziness .This time they set the infusion to go through quicker and Im wondering if that wasnt such a good thing .I know I needed to have it but at the moment its really making me anxious about having it again as I feel so awful .Apologies if this sounds like Im moaning so much I just want to know if others have gone through similar ?

Thankyou In advance

The Following User Says Thank You to LoveMyCollies For This Useful Post:
Silva rose (06-30-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Feeling Awful After Iron Infusions

Unfortunately for me I don't have insurance so IV Iron was not in my budget. My numbers were almost the same exact as yours. Ferr was 2 and Hemo was 8.6.
The way you are describing is the exact way I felt anyways w/o infusions. I also have very very bad anxiety that I didn't have before I started getting sick, I think it comes with the anemia.
Hopefully this will start going away for you soon and you feel better.

Have you talked to your Dr. about your anxieties? Maybe he can give you something next time to help you stay calm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi has the doctor been notified of this new feeling after the infusion? If not I think it needs being done in my opinion.

In the natural health professional realms of thought some say the iron capsules should not be taken at all because they contain iron crystals which they claimed were bad for the body.
There were other methods of increasing the iron levels such as taking teas of herbs high in iron, eating beans, nuts, raisins, dried apricots without sulfur, and using citrus such as lemons, organges and grapefruit for the vitamin C to help absorb it. Romaine lettuce, dark green vegetables and dark green leafy vegetables are also said to be good for the blood. Peace, sjb

Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
(male)

BOOSTEDDRKP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyCollies View Post
Hi,This is my first post .Ive been having IV Iron Infusions over recent months due to my Ferratin Level being really low and low haemoglobin .A couple of weeks ago my Ferratin level was down to 2 and haemoglobin 8.3 and dropping ,walking was so painful , Im so breathless ,I was itching all over and this time even my vision was effected as well as the exhaustion etc .This week Ive had another IV iron infusion and feel dreadful .Last time was similar ,on the second day I had flu type symptoms and felt terrible but this time I feel even worse .On top of the anaemia symptoms (as obviously the Iron infusion hasnt kicked in to help yet) Ive again got the flu type symptoms,very painful joints aching all over ,constant headaches and dizziness .This time they set the infusion to go through quicker and Im wondering if that wasnt such a good thing .I know I needed to have it but at the moment its really making me anxious about having it again as I feel so awful .Apologies if this sounds like Im moaning so much I just want to know if others have gone through similar ?

Thankyou In advance
I'm new here too; not knowing any other health issues you may have, your age etc., it's difficult to help you out to a extent. I will say having your Iron stores or Feeritin levels that low, is not going to help you raise your hemoglobin what so ever at all! You are anemic definitely for whatever reasons that are applicable; you Must get your iron levels in the normal range ASAP, in order to raise your HCT/HGB levels and begin to Feel Better overall. I would highly suggest, especially in females, to take a regular supplement containing high levels of at the very least, Folate/Folic Acid, B12, B6, and C, which will all help you with raising your counts and absorption of iron. Your doctor can write you a script for a prenatal vitamin containing these or you can go to a good natural health foods store and purchase a really good B Complex. You definitely would feel better and have quicker success with this particular aid; you can also ask your doctor if he or she would give you Epogen, Epogen is a synthetic drug that stimulates Eurythroposes and helps build red blood cells within two weeks. You Are Anemic and your counts you mentioned are way too low for anyone! You can have all sorts of issues in the way you're feeling due to this. I'd highly recommend getting the vitamin supplement as suggested, just speaking about his issue in particular, as well as, adding a really good multivitamin to your daily regimen, ASAP. I'd also be interested in what other blood levels have been drawn or tests that have been conducted; usually there's a medical reason why you ate not making sufficient amounts of red blood cells, in your case, one in particular is your iron counts, but then again, there's usually a reason as to why your Fe/Iron counts are so low as well...
Have you had any type of renal/kidney blood work or urinalysis performed? Like I said, really difficult to help you too, too much without knowing all the particulars. Hopefully I've helped you a little, and No you're not crazy, you are anemic! Let me know if I can help you or if you have any further questions, and be sure and ask your physician about a really good B Complex and prescribing you Epogen injections, or even Arenesap, which is similar to Epogen but PO/oral. And BTW; any other excuse your doctor gives you not to do what I've mentioned here-in, is them not hoping you, based on your general query, this I promise you... You may even inquire about getting Vitamin B12 injections, perhaps 2000mcg's a month. Hope this helps, All the very best to you.
Stay Well,
DrKev

Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
(male)

BOOSTEDDRKP HB User
Lightbulb Re: Feeling Awful After Iron Infusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyCollies View Post

I'm new here too; not knowing any other health issues you may have, your age etc., it's difficult to help you out to a extent. I will say having your Iron stores or Feeritin levels that low, is not going to help you raise your hemoglobin what so ever at all! You are anemic definitely for whatever reasons that are applicable; you Must get your iron levels in the normal range ASAP, in order to raise your HCT/HGB levels and begin to Feel Better overall. I would highly suggest, especially in females, to take a regular supplement containing high levels of at the very least, Folate/Folic Acid, B12, B6, and C, which will all help you with raising your counts and absorption of iron. Your doctor can write you a script for a prenatal vitamin containing these or you can go to a good natural health foods store and purchase a really good B Complex. You definitely would feel better and have quicker success with this particular aid; you can also ask your doctor if he or she would give you Epogen, Epogen is a synthetic drug that stimulates Eurythroposes and helps build red blood cells within two weeks. You Are Anemic and your counts you mentioned are way too low for anyone! You can have all sorts of issues in the way you're feeling due to this. I'd highly recommend getting the vitamin supplement as suggested, just speaking about his issue in particular, as well as, adding a really good multivitamin to your daily regimen, ASAP. I'd also be interested in what other blood levels have been drawn or tests that have been conducted; usually there's a medical reason why you ate not making sufficient amounts of red blood cells, in your case, one in particular is your iron counts, but then again, there's usually a reason as to why your Fe/Iron counts are so low as well...
Have you had any type of renal/kidney blood work or urinalysis performed? Like I said, really difficult to help you too, too much without knowing all the particulars. Hopefully I've helped you a little, and No you're not crazy, you are anemic! Let me know if I can help you or if you have any further questions, and be sure and ask your physician about a really good B Complex and prescribing you Epogen injections, or even Arenesap, which is similar to Epogen but PO/oral. And BTW; any other excuse your doctor gives you not to do what I've mentioned here-in, is them not hoping you, based on your general query, this I promise you... You may even inquire about getting Vitamin B12 injections, perhaps 2000mcg's a month. Hope this helps, All the very best to you.
Stay Well,
DrKev

Thankyou In advance
Stay Well,
DrKev

Reply Reply