It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
(female)

worriedmumof4 HB User
5 year old ferritin level is 12 ug/L

Hi,

My 5 year old daughters ferritin level is 12 ug/L normal range is 22-158

is this classed as very low or is it ok? i am worried, we knew something wasnt right as she is constantly exhausted and is shouting for bed by 6:30 most night, sleeping 12/13 hours a night and still waking up tried and if you let her sleep on an afternoon she sleeps for up to 2 hours at a time

doctors have but her on sytron

she has an underlying condition, period fever syndrome

The following user gives a hug of support to worriedmumof4:
Heatherx5 (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
(female)

worriedmumof4 HB User
Re: 5 year old ferritin level is 12 ug/L

just sent a copy of blood tests to her consultant at RVI and they want her in on tuesday for more tests :/

worried now

The following user gives a hug of support to worriedmumof4:
Heatherx5 (08-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Try and stay calm momma. This is pretty low and low ferritin can cause a lot of symptoms, especially tired. If you already know the cause and the Dr. has her on Iron then you are a step ahead. Most of the time the cause of low iron in kids is them not getting enough iron in their diets. A ferritin of 12 is pretty low but these are just her stores, what was her iron serum? My ferritin was a 2 if that helps you out at all. Wonder what her hemoglobin and hemocrit were? Ferritin takes a while to go back up with the oral route, but if she is taking meds then I wouldn't think hers will not drop much more and should climb now.

I am sure she will be fine just have her keep taking her meds and give her lots of iron enriched foods, I personally suggest cereals that have irons as well as the B's and folic acid. Red meats etc, I'm sure you know the drill. I am sure you will see her iron/ferritin get right back up there.

I also wanted to add, as a mom. I feel for you but if your daughters Dr. thought for one second she was in any serious danger you would probably be siting in a hospital with her. Try not to worry so much, and keep us posted what you find out!

Last edited by Heatherx5; 08-23-2012 at 09:32 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
worriedmumof4 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
(female)

worriedmumof4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherx5 View Post
Try and stay calm momma. This is pretty low and low ferritin can cause a lot of symptoms, especially tired. If you already know the cause and the Dr. has her on Iron then you are a step ahead. Most of the time the cause of low iron in kids is them not getting enough iron in their diets. A ferritin of 12 is pretty low but these are just her stores, what was her iron serum? My ferritin was a 2 if that helps you out at all. Wonder what her hemoglobin and hemocrit were? Ferritin takes a while to go back up with the oral route, but if she is taking meds then I wouldn't think hers will not drop much more and should climb now.

I am sure she will be fine just have her keep taking her meds and give her lots of iron enriched foods, I personally suggest cereals that have irons as well as the B's and folic acid. Red meats etc, I'm sure you know the drill. I am sure you will see her iron/ferritin get right back up there.

I also wanted to add, as a mom. I feel for you but if your daughters Dr. thought for one second she was in any serious danger you would probably be siting in a hospital with her. Try not to worry so much, and keep us posted what you find out!
Hi, thanks for your kind words,

her hb is 11.1 and haematocrit is 0.324 (norm 0.34-0.40)
they dont know the cause of her anemia, i am assuming thats why her consultant wants her in for more tests.

she has just woken up after a 12 hour nights sleep and is laid rubbing her eye complaining she is tired horrible to see, she should be running riot at that age! lol

also, her lymphocyte count is down to 2.8, norm is 6.0-9.0 :/ i know this is to do with her immune

Last edited by worriedmumof4; 08-24-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
(female)

worriedmumof4 HB User

also, her lymphocyte count is down to 2.8, norm is 6.0-9.0 :/ i know this is to do with her immune

Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

My white bloods go down sometimes too. White bloods are the immune system, it could be possible that she has a bug. There are some anemia associated with low white blood counts, but there is treatment for it too. I can't even imagine the worry you are going through right now, I'm not even going to pretend too. I know one thing I have learned with Anemia is that it's something that is very treatable.

I have to tell you your post really touched my heart, I have a little girl that is 4. So I started doing some research of my own and I just learned something new. I knew that men and women had different ferritin protocols but I didn't really think about children. I have been reading about this for a while actually and here is what I found:

The standard Ferritin levels for children 6 months to 15 years:
7-140 ng/mL or 7-140 mcg/L
I even found a lab (well known) that says a normal WBC for children can be as low as 3,000 - 10,000 cells/mcl.

I have looked at a lot of lab result sites that pretty much give the same numbers. Maybe the lab that did her tests has a higher standard. It would put her low but still in range of ok. Her hemocrit is a little low too, but not really super bad either. Still worth checking into just to be safe!

What is her diet like? Does she eat a lot of irony foods? I know my kids really don't. I guess what I'm getting at is her diet(red bloods)......and maybe a little bug(white bloods)......and maybe they are all just playing off of each other and she's just not feeling well. Her numbers really aren't THAT bad.

Sending you all some positive vibes and hoping for the best for your little one! I would just let her sleep when she wants and give her lots of good irony stuff. I think she will bounce right back. <3 Also Celiac's might be something you want to check into. Oh and another thing I am wondering could it be possible that the period fever syndrome is causing her low wbc count?

Last edited by Heatherx5; 08-24-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
(female)

worriedmumof4 HB User

Hi,

her diet is varied, she is not a massive eater but doesn't do to badly. I even tried her with some steak on saturday and she enjoyed it! I have been giving her green vegetables and an iron supplement added to fresh orange juice as i have been told vitamin c helps the body absorb iron

i have been advised to get the hosp to check her B12 levels too

I believe the periodic fever syndrome is playing a part in this issue, her consultant is great and I cant fault him, as soon as i emailed his secretary her blood results he had her email me back saying he wanted her in this tuesday for further investigations, i think they want to get to the bottom of the reason for the anemia as it has happened in the past but i dont think her ferritin got that low last time, i need to double check with her last blood results

She has been poorly now for 2 years with this periodic fever syndrome and its just so upsetting seeing her so run down, my other 3 kids will be outside playing and she will be just laid on the sofa with her blanket and fav teddy

Thanks for your help and kind words

Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
(female)

worriedmumof4 HB User

Hi,

her diet is varied, she is not a massive eater but doesn't do to badly. I even tried her with some steak on saturday and she enjoyed it! I have been giving her green vegetables and an iron supplement added to fresh orange juice as i have been told vitamin c helps the body absorb iron

i have been advised to get the hosp to check her B12 levels too

I believe the periodic fever syndrome is playing a part in this issue, her consultant is great and I cant fault him, as soon as i emailed his secretary her blood results he had her email me back saying he wanted her in this tuesday for further investigations, i think they want to get to the bottom of the reason for the anemia as it has happened in the past but i dont think her ferritin got that low last time, i need to double check with her last blood results

She has been poorly now for 2 years with this periodic fever syndrome and its just so upsetting seeing her so run down, my other 3 kids will be outside playing and she will be just laid on the sofa with her blanket and fav teddy

Thanks for your help and kind words

Old 08-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
(female)

worriedmumof4 HB User

has anyone heard of a rash associated with anemia? she has now developed a rash on a back which looks alot like old bruising but when you look closely it looks like small spots under the skin (not raised, flat)

any idea's anyone?

Reply Reply