It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
(female)

diamonds61 HB User
Iron thru IV

How long does it take for one to feel better after having iron IV therapy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
(female)

canada1982 HB User
Re: Iron thru IV

It can take up to 3 weeks to start feeling a difference. I had 3 iron infusions in August during a 10 day period and after I got over the side effects (which are a small price to pay for feeling better), I noticed that I felt better within days but noticed a huge boost after a few weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

kcobuffalo HB User

I had my first visit to a hematologist today where he immediately ordered me to have an iron infusion through IV (first of three infusion therapy treatments scheduled for the next three weeks).

My former primary doctor diagnosed me with thalassemia (mediteranean anemia) in 1998 and put me on iron supplements and a stool softener. It honestly did nothing for my iron levels and just caused more gastro problems than anything.

I decided to get more bloodwork with my new primary doctor in pursuit of seeing a hematologist to verify if I do have thalassemia and if so, what type/severity? If not - then figure out why my iron and hemoglobin levels are so low and how to treat it. The hematologist said my iron levels are rock bottom - one level is 2 (normal range is 11-350) and the other level is 4 (normal range is 20-100). I can't remember what the levels represent - but i think it's iron and hemaglobin.

What are the side effects of getting iron infusions??

Old 09-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
(female)

canada1982 HB User

If you have thalasseima then why are you taking iron supplements? That is a huge no if you have thal because you can have iron build up and might need iron chelation therapy, or cause irreparable damage to your organs. Also, with thal, it affects the oxygen level in your blood so of course your hemoglobin is going to be low. It is genetic! I suggest you do some more research on thalassemia to understand what it is and what you need to do to manage it. You can't cure it but you can manage it. Folic acid, b12 and wheat grass are great supplements to take if you have thal.

The side effects that I had with my iron ivs were bone pain, sore muscles, and dark urine as not all of the iron is absorbed.

Reply Reply

Tags
anemia, iron