It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
(female)

diverdown1 HB User
Frustrated by doctors' lack of concern

Hi, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for the past few days. This site is a fantastic source of information, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction for finding help.

I've had the same symptoms for the past two years and they have steadily gotten worse. I saw an endocrinologist 1.5 years ago (who ordered blood work) as well as my ob/gyn, and both could not give me answers. Last week I saw a GP who ordered more blood work and told me everything was fine if just a little low in some areas - told me I definitely was not anemic and was not worried about my ferritin level. Here are my symptoms and the lower numbers in my blood work:

Symptoms:

hair loss
low energy/lethargy
always tired
insomnia
foggy thinking
headaches
irritable
numbness/tingling in wrist (seeing a chiropractor)
back pain (seeing a chiropractor)

Labs:
WBC 4.1 (range 4.5-11)
RBC 3.93 (range 4.2-5.4)
HGB 12 (range 12-16)
HCT 36.9 (range 37-47)
Ferritin 7.4 (range 10-140)

Hormones and thyroid are fine
B12 was not tested

From reading the posts here, I am thinking that my symptoms stem from my low ferritin, but I can't seem to find a doctor that will take this seriously. The GP I saw last week attributed my symptoms to the fact that I am a mom to young twin boys and suggested I go on anti-anxiety meds. He couldn't explain why my hair is constantly shedding.

I'm frustrated to say the least. Should I see a hematologist or maybe try an internist? Am I correct in thinking my low ferritin is the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading this far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
(female)

Diana64 HB UserDiana64 HB User
Re: Frustrated by doctors' lack of concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdown1 View Post
Hi, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for the past few days. This site is a fantastic source of information, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction for finding help.

I've had the same symptoms for the past two years and they have steadily gotten worse. I saw an endocrinologist 1.5 years ago (who ordered blood work) as well as my ob/gyn, and both could not give me answers. Last week I saw a GP who ordered more blood work and told me everything was fine if just a little low in some areas - told me I definitely was not anemic and was not worried about my ferritin level. Here are my symptoms and the lower numbers in my blood work:

Symptoms:

hair loss
low energy/lethargy
always tired
insomnia
foggy thinking
headaches
irritable
numbness/tingling in wrist (seeing a chiropractor)
back pain (seeing a chiropractor)

Labs:
WBC 4.1 (range 4.5-11)
RBC 3.93 (range 4.2-5.4)
HGB 12 (range 12-16)
HCT 36.9 (range 37-47)
Ferritin 7.4 (range 10-140)

Hormones and thyroid are fine
B12 was not tested

From reading the posts here, I am thinking that my symptoms stem from my low ferritin, but I can't seem to find a doctor that will take this seriously. The GP I saw last week attributed my symptoms to the fact that I am a mom to young twin boys and suggested I go on anti-anxiety meds. He couldn't explain why my hair is constantly shedding.

I'm frustrated to say the least. Should I see a hematologist or maybe try an internist? Am I correct in thinking my low ferritin is the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading this far.

Hi! Your ferritin level is way too low and explains all your symptoms!
I made the same experience as you, my doc told me all the time I'm stressed out because of my two kids... But I was anemic for years!
I wouldn't harm to see an internist, but I would start with iron tabs ( like gentle iron) also without a doc. The new norm range for ferritin is 50-200, so everything below 50 is actually too low.
Good luck!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

I agree with everything Diane has told you. If your Dr. is not taking you serious then it probably would't hurt to see someone else. My Dr. doesn't even look at my hemoglobin or hematocrit numbers anymore. They are fine, but my ferritin and iron are not so he makes me take iron.

Your hematocrit and hemoglobin are both normal but in low range of normal so what is he waiting for them to start diving too? I would definitely be seeking another opinion especially if you are going to start taking iron, it's something that needs to be monitored.

I doubt you will be getting to much iron anytime soon, ferritin takes quite a while to raise so taking iron right now till you can find someone else to see would probably be a good thing at this point.

I just love that whole "you have anxiety" reasoning. I'm sorry I do have anxiety and it's caused by anemia, I wasn't like this before. If your feeling anxious, I would directly relate it to the anemia as well. It causes a whole lot of problems . I hope you find someone willing to take you more serious, I think your best bet would be a hematologist, it's what they specialize in.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
(female)

diverdown1 HB User

Thank you both for your responses. I've taken your advice and have started taking an iron supplement. I have an appointment scheduled with an internist in 3 weeks who will hopefully be more proactive then the other doctors.

Reply Reply