It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
(female)

ghession HB User
Unhappy Iron - 22 Ferritin 3.8 Hemoglobin 11.2

I just got back from the doctor and I knew my iron was log but I didn't think it was this low. I had gastric by pass 8 years ago and ever since then and iron pill does nothing to improve it. About 4 years ago I had iron transfusion I had 2 a week for about 8 weeks. I have a feeling it will be that way again. I go see the hematologist on Tuesday. My B12 was also a little low at 276 and Vitamin D was 17 which is considered insufficient. I want to know if anyone has an idea of how many treatements it will take? The dr gave me a once a week pill for D and I have shots of B12 once a week.
Thanks for any enlightenment.
Gayle

Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Iron - 22 Ferritin 3.8 Hemoglobin 11.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghession View Post
I just got back from the doctor and I knew my iron was log but I didn't think it was this low. I had gastric by pass 8 years ago and ever since then and iron pill does nothing to improve it. About 4 years ago I had iron transfusion I had 2 a week for about 8 weeks. I have a feeling it will be that way again. I go see the hematologist on Tuesday. My B12 was also a little low at 276 and Vitamin D was 17 which is considered insufficient. I want to know if anyone has an idea of how many treatements it will take? The dr gave me a once a week pill for D and I have shots of B12 once a week.
Thanks for any enlightenment.
Gayle
I honestly don't know how many treatments it will take you to get back on top but it sounds like your off to a great start. I know they give infusions to people that are low for a faster treatment method I really don't see it taking to long for you as it's going right where it needs to rather then to the gut. Your D and B12 are super low and hopefully those treatments kick in for you soon and you start feeling great again. Sorry I couldn't have answers for you I have never had infusions .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
(female)

ghession HB User

You helped and reading other people's stories on here helps. I am so tired of being tired all the time I can't wait to have all of this kick in soon. Thanks for the post.

The following user gives a hug of support to ghession:
Heatherx5 (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

I agree with you there. It's definitely a battle!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
(female)

shersita HB User

I had been anemic all my life (I'm 31 now), red meat, oat, green veggies, etc, don't help me to fight the anemia. I haven't had any blood transfusion, but on several blood test I had saw my hemoglobin in the range 6 and 9 . I have 2 years now that I don't suffer from my entire life anemia, my solution is keep myself on permanent daily basis black molasses (I drink 2 spoon of it everyday in the morning) so, on the last 2 years my hemoglobin is between 13-15 instead of my all entire life 6-9.

Iron pills alone without B12 and vitamin C doesn't work, since the body need vitamin C and B12 to absorb iron otherwise your iron on blood will keep low. I have heard that people who have had any gastro surgery loose the capacity to absorb vitamin B12 for life (but I cannot confirm this, ask your doc to get better answers), so those people need to take vitamin B12 and iron for life. Vitamin B12 is found on red meat (suppodsely human body absord vitamin B12 from animal source more than from other sources) and iron pills should be taken with empty stomach, since it has better chances to be absorbed in your body when vitamin B12 comes next.

Last edited by shersita; 09-30-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
(female)

AineEriu HB User

I had gastric bypass 5 years and now I'm having trouble with iron. But that's because my surgeon told me not to take it. Whether or not I absorb it, time will tell. Some of us never will and we'll always need iron infusions. How much and what form of iron have you been taking? Some forms are terrible and useless for us. And amounts, we need lots of the good stuff.

Your B12 and Vitamin D is REALLY bad. The B12 is flirting with permanent nerve damage. Nevermind what the lab range is, we need our B12 at 1000-2000. I keep mine around 1500. I see you're getting shots. I'd also suggest supplementing with sublingual 5,000mcg of the methylcobalamin form of B12 a day. Methylcobalamin is the active form of B12. Some people do fine on the non-active form, cyanocobalamin, but some don't. Cyanocobalamin is converted to methylcobalamin and much gets lost in the conversion process. You also won't absorb iron well if your B12 is so low and you won't be absorbing calcium if your D is so low. No calcium leads to osteoporosis and with no calcium getting through (remember we need 1500-2000mg of calcium citrate per day post op) it won't take long for that to happen. A couple of years of leeching calcium from your bones -- to keep it circulating in your blood to regulate your heart why is why serum calcium levels are useless indicators of actual calcium intake -- is all it takes. How is your folate and copper levels? Folic acid plays a big role in absorbing iron too, as does copper. Copper should be above 90 and folate should be between 15 and 20, optimally. These guidelines are for us with surgery.

If the doctor gave you a prescription for vitamin D, throw it out. I'm not kidding. It is D2 and even normal people don't absorb it that well. WE don't absorb it AT ALL. It's oil based and we malabsorb oils. Many of us in my support group have been on this merry go round and we know how it ends. Find some dry Vitamin D3 and start taking 50,000IU a day and recheck your level in a month. If you can't recheck it, then take that amount for 3 days a week until you can. You can get toxic, but it really takes quite a bit for us and you need your level above 80 which is going to take some work. Again, I'm not speaking for the folks with a normal gut.

Like me, you got the surgery to be healthy. I'm a bit miffed I ended up here when it was avoidable, and I hope you kinda feel the same way! It's motivation.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-03-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Reply Reply