It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

longtail62400 HB User
Question Normal ferretin, low serum iron and saturation??

I'm a 45 year old woman with history of iron deficiency. My serum iron has ben hanging around 30 and saturation around 9-10% for the past few years, following the birth of my daughter. About a month ago, I went to the hematologist for 4 week course of intravenous iron (I had trouble with oral iron upsetting my stomach.) About 4 doses of IV iron, my blood tests came back and are lower than before the iron.

Hemoglobin: 11.9 (down from 12.5)
Hematocrit 37.5
Red Blood Cells: 4.0
Ferretin: 136 (up from 35)
Serum Iron: 29 (down from 32)
Iron Saturation: 8% (down from 9%)
TBC: 235 (down slightly)

I'm confused. Why would be ferretin go up and my serum and saturation and hemoglobin go down?

I had some very mild, brief spotting for about 2 weeks from break through bleeding from my birth control pills, but that's it. Can anyone explain??

Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

AineEriu HB User
Re: Normal ferretin, low serum iron and saturation??

The quick and dirty answer is that your bone marrow was greedy for iron and most of what you got by IV you stored. I'm the opposite. All mine is going to hemoglobin and what's left over is going to stores and finally serum iron. Your bone marrow said YIPPIE! ALL MINE! You're probably going to need another 4 weeks and you will probably need to maintain it with supplements. Ever tried Proferrin or carbonyl iron? Have you ruled out internal bleeding yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
(female)

longtail62400 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had any tests to check for a bleeding source. It's been about 8 years since my last colonoscopy and about 6 since my last endoscopy. What other tests do they need to run? I've never tried Proferrin or carbonyl iron. I tried ferrous sulfate and it really messed up my stomach. I have IBS so anything that causes constipation is a problem. I also tried ferrous fumarate and Slow FE (ok on the stomach but no impact on iron).

Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
(female)

AineEriu HB User

Endoscopy and colonoscopy is the most common to test for internal bleeding.

Slow FE probably had no effect on you because it's time released and people with IBS often have absorption issues. I've had gastric bypass, I know all about those! I had IBS really, really bad before I had surgery. It basically cured it. Of course the surgery has issues of its own.

Ferrous this and that are all ferric salts. 88% of the pill is just that -- salts. The rest is the actual elemental iron and the only part that actually does anything. The salts are what messes you up so bad. Carbonyl iron is just the elemental iron, nothing else. If it says 25mg on it, it means 25mg of elemental iron, period. Ferric salts ravage the GI tract of a gastric bypass patient AND we don't absorb it anyway... they do no favors to everyone else, either! So my choice was obvious. You can order it on the internet or get it from a CVS store. Sundown makes it and it's called Perfect Iron.

You probably want to start with at least 50-100mg. I take 300mg no problem. Some people have taken 600mg. In studies, anemic participants have taken 1000mg a day for 12 weeks with no adverse effects. It's very non-toxic for iron. I've had no constipation or anything from taking carbonyl. I worked up to 300mg a day, split into 2 doses, over the course of 6 weeks. I have a very sensitive stomach and wanted to make it as gentle as possible on myself. I take it with 1,000 mg of vitamin C at each dose (the proper ratio) and an hour or two away from coffee, tea, caffiene, dairy, calcium, wheat or eggs and my other vitamins except copper. Everything interferes with non-heme iron. Which carbonyl is, and so is the ferric salts.

Proferrin is another animal entirely. It's a heme iron, which is just like the kind we get from red meat. It's much better absorbed than anything else. One pill has 12mg of elemental heme iron. That's the equivalent of 10 small steaks. It boosts your hemoglobin quick and it has zero side effects. Zero.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-03-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Reply Reply