It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

viennah HB User
Cool Best to take two iron pills at once, or one in AM and one in PM?

I've been seeing a gastroenterologist and a hematologist. The gastroenterologist prescribed iron supplements for my iron deficency. Today I saw the hematologist, and he believes the amount prescribed by the gastroenterologist is too low. He told me I needed to double the dosage and take two pills a day.

Now I'm wondering if he meant taking them twice a day, like one in the morning and a second one at night, or if I should take both pills at once.

Does it make a difference? Which would be most effective?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Best to take two iron pills at once, or one in AM and one in PM?

I would take one twice a day for 2 reasons. One is that iron upsets the stomach of some people and I think you'll get more complete absorption if it is split up. Calcium taken at the same time as iron will reduce the iron absorption, so separate the two if you take calcium by one hour. Taking the iron with food will reduce chance of upset stomach.

Last edited by ladybud; 10-03-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

viennah HB User

I will take one in AM and one in PM in that case.

After doing some research, this new dosage seems high, especially considering I have chronic gastritis and post-infectious IBS already, and thus somach pain.

I was on 300mg of Euro-Fer, which I believe is Ferrous Fumarate, and has an elemental iron of 100mg. Taking two of these will really irritate my stomach, no? Especially since it makes taking my antiacids more complexe to avoid taking it with the iron.

ughh... I don't know what to do! I need more iron and energy, but less stomach pain. Why cant I have both!?!

I'm starting to think I should ask for injectible iron instead....

Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You might want to switch from antacids to a histamine 2 blocker like ranitidine (OTC) or get a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) Rx from your Dr so you can take the iron and skip the antacids. The other two are much more effective at clearing up the gastritis. If your ferritin levels don't come up within 2-3 months, you may not be absorbing it well, and an injectable may be the next step.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
(female)

viennah HB User

I've had the chronic gastritis from post-infection IBS since December (following a severe stomach infection) and it has shown no signs of improvement since! I used to take Nexium but the pills were so large, I asked the doctor to swtich, and now I take Prevacid Fast-tab, a dissolvable version. It's helping take the edge of the stomach pains.

The iron deficiency may be more important to treat first. It's better to drag myself to work with a bloated tummy and a stomach ache than not go at all because I'm to tired to even keep my eyes open!

Reply Reply