It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
(male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User
How to educate my doctor

I was recently tested and found my b12 level was 228....when my doctor looked at my result she said "everything's normal" clearly she needs educating...she seems to be a good doctor, she listened to what I had to say and seemed genuinely concerned but she wouldn't officially diagnose me with b12 deficiency because the references were 211-976...in order for her to treat me properly she needs to know about b12 deficiency and what is considered deficiency and what is actual deficiency...so I thought I'd buy her "could it be b12" by Sally Pachalok and Jeffrey Stewart...it's a great source of information that was written by her peers...I guess my question is...would it be rude of me to do so or disrespectful somehow?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: How to educate my doctor

I don't think it would be a rude gesture, but that is just me. I'm no Dr. and I can tell you your B12 is low and needs treated. My Dr. treats anything below 350 and I still feel that is even low. Some other countries say 600 is low. I guess you could do the book thing and maybe tell her why and if she takes it bad then she does. Obviously you are only doing it for her and hoping for something positive to come out of it. Even with a b12 of 228 you are close to low, why wouldn't she treat it? Some Dr's are better at other things, maybe this is just something she isn't good with and needs it. If she took the book and read it, not only would it help her but it would help all her patients too.

In the meantime go to the store and get yourself some sublingual B12. The ones I found only came in 500. I take 1000 a day and they dissolve right under your tongue. I was able to bring up my b12 about 500 points in a month. You can't overdose on B12 so you could even take more if you wanted.

Last edited by Heatherx5; 10-07-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
(male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

She was going by the reference levels from labcorp (the company that tested my blood) which stated that normal b12 levels are between 211-946 -_-

I've actually been taking sublinguals (5000 mcg) for a little over a week and its helped (especially my energy levels) but I'm worried it won't be enough to alleviate the neuro symptoms I'm having...so educating her is my only choice right? I'm going ahead with the plan and if she is resistant, I'll find another doctor I suppose....Thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Well I'm glad you took thing into your own hands and started taking something. Hoping that your symptoms lift for you and there is no irreversible damage. . Educating her is your only choice and if she refuses then you seem to know what to do. Find another Dr., preferably one that will be all over this. Best of luck to you!

I guess I just see it as how close you are to being out of the normal range isn't ok, why not just treat it before it dips below. I don't understand why Dr's do this.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
(male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherx5 View Post
Well I'm glad you took thing into your own hands and started taking something. Hoping that your symptoms lift for you and there is no irreversible damage. . Educating her is your only choice and if she refuses then you seem to know what to do. Find another Dr., preferably one that will be all over this. Best of luck to you!

I guess I just see it as how close you are to being out of the normal range isn't ok, why not just treat it before it dips below. I don't understand why Dr's do this.
Yeah I don't either....she was so cavalier about it...I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get a sooner appt....November 30 is too far away...I'm also going to buy the book this week and I guess we will see how she takes it...it's funny because I learned today that a childhood friend of mine had gastric bypass recently and was having my exact same symptoms and her b12 was 286 and her doctor immediately prescribed shots and educated her on sublinguals...yet here I am playing teacher...le sigh...

Last edited by Ivebeenbetter; 10-07-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
(female)

flyingaimlessly HB User

Don't feel rude educating your doctor at all! It's your health, you've got to speak up for yourself. My doctor never would've tested my B-12 if I hadn't asked. He even told me there was no way I was deficient in it when I asked because my red blood cells are small (due to IDA) and B-12 deficiency makes them bigger. Sometimes you just have to force them to think a little bit outside of their box, they're so focused on getting you in and out in 15 minutes most of the time they just don't process all the way through what you tell them.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
(male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaimlessly View Post
Don't feel rude educating your doctor at all! It's your health, you've got to speak up for yourself. My doctor never would've tested my B-12 if I hadn't asked. He even told me there was no way I was deficient in it when I asked because my red blood cells are small (due to IDA) and B-12 deficiency makes them bigger. Sometimes you just have to force them to think a little bit outside of their box, they're so focused on getting you in and out in 15 minutes most of the time they just don't process all the way through what you tell them.
Thankfully I got my appt moved up to next wed coming up....I bought the book and am going to give it to her and hopefully she will receive it well...thank you for your response I'm glad that I'm not the only one who had to force the doctor to test for b12....I hope you get well soon

Last edited by Ivebeenbetter; 10-10-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Reply Reply