It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

ev225 HB User
Constantly exhausted and sleepy, and getting worse

I keep going to my doctor for answers, but all he can say is that it is perfectly normal.

My history is consisting of Severe lack of Iron when I was 14. (I had 5 and was told the normal was 200 for a female my age). I went to the doctor because I was very sleepy, and had a shortness of breath. in the later years I was diagnosed again with lack of iron twice, although not nearly as bad as the first time. In all of this time, the feeling of always being tired and exhausted never ceased, but rather increased. A year ago I once more paid a visit to my doctor, for the very same thing. And this time, all he could say was that it's normal for someone my age to be tired, as long as I got sleep at night it was fine. I got some bloodwork done, just in case, and the result was folic acid deficiency. It couldn't explain why I was tired, but now lack of iron wasn't the reason. It was normal.

Shortly after I developed a huge craving for food. I didn't want food. I needed it. The heavier the meal, the more painful and faster the need for food returned. (within the hour was becoming a normal thing). I went from my normal eating cycle, not very hungry one week, a little more hungry next week to make up for the last. To pretty much constantly hungry. If I wasn't really full, I wasn't full at all. And if I was really full, I had to eat just the same portion an hour later. Two to three dinners a day became normal! I gained 5 kilos this period, and was still under the definition of normal weight compared to my height. I went to the doctor of course, but it was at the end of my hungerperiod. Did some bloodwork and came out with a little elevated metabolic. (which redused itself to normal over a week). This period only lastet about 2-3 months.

After this I developed other symptomes with my tiredness. Before I couldn't fall asleep if something was moving, like on a bus. Now I sometimes let myself fall asleep, but quickly awaken after 2-3 minutes with a sudden shock throughout my body. This short naps always includes dreams. Other times I do not let myself fall asleep, but I now I have because suddenly a few minutes have passed by and for me it seems like 1 second. I do not dream when this happens.

This was not enough to contact my doctor for the zillionth time about my tiredness, only to get the respons "It's normal". This was until I developed yet another symptom. Halucinations. Sometimes, I hear music unreasonably loud right before I fall asleep. It's so loud, I try my best to wake up, to make it go away, though I know I am tired enough to fall asleep even with my ears almost hurting. The loud music sounds like music on the radio, catchy, familiar, but not like anything Ive ever heard before, and no one is singing.

With this I researched through the interwebs the connection between fatigue/tiredness and halucinations before sleep.. and the result was Narcolepsy. Of course it terrified me at first, but then it also made me a little happy. Finally a reason why I can sleep durring the day without problems, finally a reason why I can sleep just enough durring the night (I have tried to sleep more, but it doesn't really help, it just increases my need for a nap durring the day) and still feel like I never got to bed last night. Sometimes I give in for a nap, but I regret it every single time. Because a nap makes me feel horrible, more exhausted, and gives me a brain crushing headache.

Do I really have to be, what? Thirty? fourty? Untill I can feel fully rested? Because I never do. I havent for as long as I can remember. All I know is that it was easier to wake up before, than it is waking up now. For this, I hate sleeping. I wish I could trade it with something more useful. Because the only thing sleeping does for me, is keeping me alive. With all the dreaming, I don't know why my brain can't focus on giving me a good night sleep.

People say they sleep like a rock. Most of the time I wake up multipletimes durring the night, because I have undiagnosed RLS. And my whole body have this tingeling, like my legs do durring the day and before I sleep. It doesn't take a long time before I fall asleep again..

Well, so I paid my last visit to the doctor about my hallucinationproblem, increasing fatigue and tiredness, but yet again he told me that all of this is normal. Halucinating before sleep? No problem. He told me if I started halucinating after sleep then I should contact him. He did take some normal bloodwork done though, but I don't have much hopes for them.

So I want to know what people think. Does anyone here have any mutual experience with this? I'm not really looking forward to everyday, since I know I will be tired from start to finish. But I guess I simply have to live with it since it is perfectly normal..

I'd like to add that I was bullied by a teacher first year in jr. high (14), for "dreaming" in class. or "going to my own place". "disapearing from reality". All I can remember, is being tired. and now that Ive started working, I recently got a quote by a customer since I work at a supermarked. "It looked like you were falling sleep".

Is there anyone who can relate to this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Constantly exhausted and sleepy, and getting worse

I can relate to a little bit of this. I wake up tired. It's really weird I barely drag through my days and have really disassociated myself from me, if that makes any sense. I constantly feel like I am walking around on a cloud or in a dream. I was not like this prior to the anemia. I also developed some anxiety and depression and think that they are just feeding off of each other. I have been having "ocular migraines" lately too. I have had 2 in the last month and they are scary. If you have anemia it is enough to make you feel tired all the time and want to do nothing but sleep. I'm wondering what your lab numbers are. Have you gotten the results yet. I am sorry but for your Dr. to just keep saying this is normal is baffling to me, this clearly to me isn't normal. Have you had your B12 checked, Vitamin D?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

ev225 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherx5 View Post
I can relate to a little bit of this. I wake up tired. It's really weird I barely drag through my days and have really disassociated myself from me, if that makes any sense. I constantly feel like I am walking around on a cloud or in a dream. I was not like this prior to the anemia. I also developed some anxiety and depression and think that they are just feeding off of each other. I have been having "ocular migraines" lately too. I have had 2 in the last month and they are scary. If you have anemia it is enough to make you feel tired all the time and want to do nothing but sleep. I'm wondering what your lab numbers are. Have you gotten the results yet. I am sorry but for your Dr. to just keep saying this is normal is baffling to me, this clearly to me isn't normal. Have you had your B12 checked, Vitamin D?
Months ago I had lack of folic acid. It's a B vitamin, which my doctor stated had nothing to do with my tiredness. Studies shows that if your pregnant and have a lack of folic acid it may increase the chance of still births because the back of the head of the baby wont grow together and the brain will be undeveloped. As for me who's not pregnant it's good to have the levels up, then I won't have to increase too much when I do get pregnant...

But I'm kind of confused, because a blood donor doctor told me that folic acid was indeed closely related to animia and was a reason enough to not give blood.

If there are any results on any of the blood tests, I will now by the end of next week. If not, then I guess my doctor was right. It is completely normal for someone my age to experience execive tiredness, halucination before sleep, falling asleep without noticing, frequently waking up at night.. though! I kind of know why that happens.. It's because of my RLS.. which I don't mind too much, but it bothers others..

Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
(female)

flyingaimlessly HB User

Out of curiosity, have you tried magnesium to help with your sleeping/RLS? I was reading up on magnesium recently in relationship to some of my non-iron related problems like air hunger and muscle weakness and it popped up in almost all of my searches that magnesium was great for RLS and helping you sleep.

Reply Reply