It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
(female)

Debbier HB User
Low ferritin

Hi everyone.

I have been battling with Iron for about a year. I started with Ferritin level of 9 and low hemoglobin and iron serum. A Year later my hemoglobin and iron serum is normal and Ferritin is 7. Lately I am tired, unmotivated, and having increased heart palpitations. My dr told me its not the ferritin and to just take one slow fe iron pill daily. I have hypothyroid and that is also in the normal range 3.17. All of my other tests were normal. I feel horrible and don' t know if its worth it to see a hematologist if they will just tell me the same thing, take an iron pill. I would love to hear some opinions. Thanks, Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Low ferritin

Hi I am also battling with low iron but it was caused by a bad hemmoraghe(spelling)

What is the thyroid test they gave you that is 3.17? If you are hypo, you will have trouble absorbing iron anyway. I am taking pro fe samples from doc and also have hypothyroidism. Since the script is too high am going to order Ferrex 150 OTC.

If that is the TSH test, it is too high and you need Ft4 and Ft3test and they should be in the upper part of the ranges, in case you don't know about this.

Last edited by Lady50; 10-11-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
(female)

Debbier HB User

Yes the tsh is 3.17. T3 2.7. T4 1.29. My primary told me numbers in range and would not change my synthyroid.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I don't want to sound mean but you have a typical TSH worshipping doctor and mine is the same way. She thinks anything in the range is fine but that is not right. My TSH was 2 something and my Ft4 was a little bit below the middle of the range and it is suppose to be in the upper 1/3.

So not having the money to look for another doctor I have to selfmedicate(adding to levothyroxine that she gave me). Feel tons better accept for the low iron which leaves me a bit tired.

I have heard that natural doctors are much better at treating thyroid.

There is a thyroid support here and they all know this too. Maybe they could help you find a good doctor in your area.

You need to post the labranges along with your thyroid results.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

I think lady gave you some good advice. As far as the ferritin goes, yours is way to low. With all the reading and studying I have done I have found that most people don't even report feeling well till their ferritin reaches 50-70's range. We are talking about numbers that can reach up to 200's. Your iron stores are near depleted and that number alone can be enough to feel the way you feel.

Reply Reply