It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User
Anyone experiencing weight loss with anemia?

I have been anemic for years but never took care of it because i couldn't handle the iron pills. Well things are just getting worse, my ferratin level is too low, hospital lab will not go further than their lowest level and mine is less than that, hemoglobin is at 88. I am currently taking a natural product called hemoplex and will have blood tests soon to see if my levels are up. My problem is i have lost a lot of weight and do not want to lose anymore but cannot seem to maintain my weight because of the severe loss of appetite. I used to love food, can't even be bothered to eat now, also was eating ice cubes for two years, have recently stopped craving them so i am hoping my levels are up.
I read a lot of women gain weight, anyone out there having my weight loss, issue?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Anyone experiencing weight loss with anemia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufu View Post
I have been anemic for years but never took care of it because i couldn't handle the iron pills. Well things are just getting worse, my ferratin level is too low, hospital lab will not go further than their lowest level and mine is less than that, hemoglobin is at 88. I am currently taking a natural product called hemoplex and will have blood tests soon to see if my levels are up. My problem is i have lost a lot of weight and do not want to lose anymore but cannot seem to maintain my weight because of the severe loss of appetite. I used to love food, can't even be bothered to eat now, also was eating ice cubes for two years, have recently stopped craving them so i am hoping my levels are up.
I read a lot of women gain weight, anyone out there having my weight loss, issue?
I did lose a little bit of weight in the beginning but after a while of taking iron my appetite came back and my pica went away (thank God) my teeth were actually breaking from the constant ice chewing. Give it some time I'm sure you will bounce back. The problem with anemia is it's something that takes forever. I would say if your PICA is gone that you are probably having a rise in numbers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

Thank you Heather, i thought that was the reason for not having those cravings anymore
i will know soon after the blood tests. Thank you for your reply, i hope i can at least maintain my weight, it becomes scary.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufu View Post
Thank you Heather, i thought that was the reason for not having those cravings anymore
i will know soon after the blood tests. Thank you for your reply, i hope i can at least maintain my weight, it becomes scary.

Yes it is very scary! The physical and mental number it does on your body is crazy! Every once in a while I will get a big drink full of ice and try and crunch on it and my body just cringes. I hope your blood tests come back and things are on the rise for you. Remember it takes time, especially going the oral route, don't get discouraged your body will get itself sorted with the iron your taking.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
(female)

wersthebeef HB User

I've lost about 12 pounds over the past 2 months of dealing with anemia. I'm 113 lbs now. I just don't have the appetite I used to, and the stomach upsets with the iron pills don't help either. My anemia is getting better though.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

I know what you mean, i go to the grocery store because i have to and i wander around because i never have an appetite nor am i interested in food anymore. I'm glad your anemia is getting better.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
(female)

jusjamgirl HB User

Can someone tell me if a feritin level of 11 is low and can this cause weight loss? Thanks.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
(female)

arttochoke HB User

I would say a definite yes to that jusjamgirl if the anaemia affects your appetite like it does with me, my level is 11 and over about 5 weeks I have lost 14 lbs in weight. Luckily I was slightly overweight anyway, I could probably do with losing another 7 lbs to be optimum for my height.. I do go to the gym when I can so its probably a combination but the nausea, appetite loss and dizziness are the worst symptoms ever, can't do anything. I'm on day 12 of tablets and no improvement yet. It's going to take time.. Just wish my employers would realise this. I just can't function properly at the moment! Here's sincerely hoping it gets better for us all ASAP.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
(female)

jusjamgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttochoke View Post
I would say a definite yes to that jusjamgirl if the anaemia affects your appetite like it does with me, my level is 11 and over about 5 weeks I have lost 14 lbs in weight. Luckily I was slightly overweight anyway, I could probably do with losing another 7 lbs to be optimum for my height.. I do go to the gym when I can so its probably a combination but the nausea, appetite loss and dizziness are the worst symptoms ever, can't do anything. I'm on day 12 of tablets and no improvement yet. It's going to take time.. Just wish my employers would realise this. I just can't function properly at the moment! Here's sincerely hoping it gets better for us all ASAP.
Dizziness, appetite loss and nausea are certainly the worst part experienced with a ferratin level of 11. Some doctors will ignore this level of ferratin but if you are experiencing symptoms I think it is best to increase your ferratin level. You definitely unable to function very well and it is even worst if you are going through perimenopause. I know the feeling. Hang on and have the expectation that it will get better.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

I have a level of 6 and have lost so much weight!!! I also have nausea! does anyone get gerd also? I sure hope everyone is feeling better soon!!!!! keep up on updates. I cant find hemoplex anywhere! I think I am gonna have to order it.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
(female)

b2b HB User

Yes, I have lost 11 lbs since February of this year. My ferritin level was 15. My appetite is bit better now, after taking iron pills, and eating iron rich foods.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
(female)

abclittle HB User
Unhappy Re: Anyone experiencing weight loss with anemia?

I always wondered why I had always ate so much yet never put weight on but when I got diagnosed with anaemia I realised that's why,I feel like it's more of a strain on our poor bodys

Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
(female)

arttochoke HB User

b2b how long did it take for your appetite to come back? I find I feel worse in the mornings and can only eat from around 11am onwards, sometimes not until after lunchtime, some days being better than others. I find it completely depressing that it feels like I'm waking up with a hangover every day - dizzy, nauseas, no appetite, tired.. sigh.. Day 21 of iron tablets and no huge difference yet..

Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
(female)

b2b HB User

After about one month of taking iron pills my appetite came back. For few weeks my weight stayed the same then this morning I saw that I am one pound down. It is scary! But again this is one of the symptoms that I have to deal with, dizziness, blurred vision, loss of balance and headaches are some of the others. Doctors are not too concerned. Did you ever ask your doctor about iron injections? I used to get them before, but for some reason this time my doctor put me on pills, and with them it takes long time to work.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
(female)

barbie99 HB User

I have wondered for months where my appetite had gone....I never knew it could be related to low iron. Results back today...My level is 8.

I'm starting Blood Builder by MegaFoods. Wish me luck....I have lost so much weight....due to no appetite...I was getting scared!

The following user gives a hug of support to barbie99:
worrywort (11-28-2014)
Reply Reply