It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
It is time for less iron now

I have been taking high dose iron for a month and started having symptoms of getting too much. Such as fluid retention, tired, hearing heartbeat on exertion(which could have something to do with suppressing thyroid). My doc doesn't know if iron suppresses thyroid. Blah!!!

So am taking 130mgs of elemental iron liquid ferrous sulfate now until end of December. Can't raise thyroid meds because if I stop the iron thyroid hormones will go up too quickly. Hopefully the less iron will do the trick.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
(female)

wersthebeef HB User
Re: It is time for less iron now

I don't think you should stop iron unless your doctor says to. Iron supplements can make you feel weird and cause some GI distress, but they are going to make you feel great in the long run. Sometimes when I take iron, it's a very intense and anxious feeling. But after weeks of taking it I can finally walk without my legs hurting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Thanks but my doctor does not know her #### from a hole in the ground about iron and thyroid.

I decided to take 87mgs of elemental iron a day of ferrous fumerate. The sulfate almost killed me. Don't know if it was just too much or what.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

I feel like you Lady....I went and had to get labs twice because they messed up. The 2nd time I'm firm on this I want my iron and ferritin checked, they only checked ferritin. I have been taking iron for 7 months, my Dr. has not once suggested to me that I go to a GI Dr. I'm going to get a thermal ablation on the 10th to slow the cycles down and pray that is it. I started with a ferritin of 2 and am now at a 33, 7 months. What gives. Wish Dr's would take this more seriously.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah even if you get upset they don't care.

Reply Reply