It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

Brewskie8 HB User
Iron Deficiency

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've had a low iron issue for my whole life. I had a blood test done a few weeks ago and the doctor called me back in. She said my ferritin was dangerously low, I was basically running on fumes. These are the only numbers I have sorry! I was given FeraMAX 150mg and told to eat iron rich foods. I've taken oral supplements before and they are horrible on my stomach and bowels.

Ferritin: 6
B12: 200
HgB: 124

I've been taken the FeraMAX for a week, and I'm completely blocked. I've just found out I am pregnant with my 3rd baby, we are ecstatic! I'm wondering how this iron issue will effect me or the baby during pregnancy? Breast feeding? Etc. I've also previously had a miscarriage, and I worry if that happens again and I lose the amount of blood I lost before what will that mean. I've had 2 recent dizzy spells where I thought I was going to pass out, one prior to the pregnancy, one just today. I've had previous episodes of heart palpitations which I read is also a symptom.

Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I see my MD on Friday to discuss my concerns.

Thanks so much!

T

Old 11-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Iron Deficiency

First of all your ferritin is pretty low. That number itself takes months to go up especially if you are taking oral iron. I started with a 2 and am now at a 33 this is after months (7 to be exact) of taking iron. Most people don't even report feeling better till their ferritin reaches levels of 50-70 and on up. We are talking about a number that can go all the way to 200. Such a pain.

Congrats on your pregnancy!
Being pregnant just makes this issue a little more sensitive for you, because you are going to need MORE iron for you & baby. It's common and normal for women to become anemic during pregnancy. Your B12 is also pretty low and I'm hoping she is treating you for that as well. Definitely something that goes hand in hand with anemia and not something you want to be running short on so make sure you are taking B12 and folate, not only for you but for baby too. Since your going into this pregnancy already anemic and doing as your Dr. advised I am sure your numbers will slowly start getting better, I would definitely not stop taking the iron.

The only problem I really see you getting out of all this is being more run down and tired. Yes the palps are part of the anemia, you will tire more easily and probably in general have a more hard time. The normal experience pregnant women have will most likely be amplified for you. Once that iron starts kicking in and doing what it should some of these symptoms should alleviate for you. Just take it easy and try and enjoy this pregnancy the best you can!

If you can take your iron on an empty stomach with a glass of OJ. If your stomach won't tolerate it, eat something with it but avoid coffee, tea, and milk.

As far as the other problem, I am just the opposite, it sucks. Try eating foods high in fiber, drink lots of water, and if all else fails maybe you can try a slow release iron. Just some ideas! Best of luck and welcome to the boards! Keep us posted on how you are doing. Edited to add: Taking iron and breastfeeding is perfectly fine, as I said anemia is almost normal/expected in women that become pregnant, lots of women are prescribed iron after pregnancies to treat anemia developed during pregnancy.

Last edited by Heatherx5; 11-29-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply