It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

ubm9 HB User
Am I deficient if ferritin is low but iron is normal?

Am I iron deficient if my ferritin is 3, but my iron is 90, which is in the middle of normal range? Hemoglobin is .5 below normal. Do I need to start supplementing?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Am I deficient if ferritin is low but iron is normal?

I guess this would just depend on the Dr. I had normal iron, hematocrit, and hemoglobin but my Dr. said he was leaving the anemia diagnosis till my ferritin balanced itself out. I started really low in all numbers but have been taking iron 7 months, ferritin is so hard to raise.
I would definitely say yes you should be supplementing, of course under a Dr's care. I started with a ferritin of 2 and am now at a 33, 7 months later. The problem with anemia is that there is a reason for it, anemia is a symptom of a larger issue. So if in fact you are anemic there is a reason that needs to be found and fixed otherwise it will be a battle.
In anemia the ferritin is the first usually to go down.....the your iron serum numbers will follow...then down goes the saturation. Then you are anemic. It's looking to me like that is what is happening to you, so while your iron may be normal right now your stores are being depleted, if it doesn't get treated I guarantee your iron serum will be low soon enough.
Find a Dr. and get this treated or figure out some sort of diet full of iron rich foods.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
(female)

wersthebeef HB User

No one can tell you to take iron supplements besides a doctor, but I just want to say don't ignore this problem with your iron. Iron deficiency is just a nutritional problem. When your body goes to make red blood cells and there's no iron there... then you get to be anemic, which is a blood problem. It's awful. Don't forget about your iron.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Which is why I said take iron under a Dr's care. Lots of times Dr's will wait until people are pretty poor off before they will even start. Sorry this person's ferritin is a 3. It takes months to restore ferritin, they should be taking iron and I can say that and am not a Dr. A lot of people come here looking for insight with their numbers and say "Hey do I need iron, my Dr. says I'm fine" with numbers like this and need to be flat out told, yes you do need iron! There is a lot more to anemia then just hemoglobin. Ferritin is a big one and offers some pretty fun side effects when you are low.

Sure iron deficiency is a nutritional problem, but it just doesn't HAPPEN. Iron deficiency is a SYMPTOM of a larger problem, that needs to be fixed in order for iron therapy to be any good. Be it heavy periods, celiac's disease, uclers, etc. IDA is a symptom. You can't just take iron and think your going to be ok, the problem causing it needs to be found and fixed. Unless of course it's a vegitarian then I would suspect it's because they aren't getting enough iron in their diet.

It happens in the order I told and ferritin stores are usually the first thing to go, then your iron serum. Ferritin isn't something that just SHOOTS back up either.

You can sit around and gobble up all the iron you want and have a heavy period and lose it all again, easy. Point, the reason needs fixed, it's not just diet alone.

Last edited by Heatherx5; 12-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Reply Reply