It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Building up iron after chronic blood loss

I have been on high dose iron for 3 months. My doctor said it would take 3 months to buildup the iron. Do you think that sounds about right? I have read it can take up to 6 months.

Do you know what test there is for storage iron? Is it ferritin test? I doubt my doctors knowledge is why I am asking.

I am postmenopause, no periods.

Last edited by Lady50; 12-14-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Building up iron after chronic blood loss

As long as the bleeding has been found and stopped; but I really don't see it happening in 3 months. There is a test for iron storage and you are correct, it is the ferritin test. This is the number that takes quite a long time to raise. Ferritin is one of the causes for so many ill side effects with being low on iron. Most people don't even report feeling well till their ferritin reaches the 50's -- 70's.

I had a uterine ablation on Monday and have been taking heavy doses of iron for 8 months, my OB told me I can plan on taking iron for at least another year. So for me it will be about 2 years of taking iron. Eeek. My ferritin started at a 2 and is now a 33. It's a long road.

I guess it just depends on you. How well you are absorbing, the route that you are taking. Etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Wishing you well after that ablation. When I was going through menopause had lost a lot of blood from hormones changing. That was many moons ago.

Yeah my bloodpressure after taking iron has been kind of high and looks like I have a tan and kind of bronze looking around pressure points such as the waist. But, the ferritin will tell the whole story. Thank you.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50 View Post
Wishing you well after that ablation. When I was going through menopause had lost a lot of blood from hormones changing. That was many moons ago.

Yeah my bloodpressure after taking iron has been kind of high and looks like I have a tan and kind of bronze looking around pressure points such as the waist. But, the ferritin will tell the whole story. Thank you.
Ok this is new to me, is there a connection between high blood pressure and iron? My blood pressure has been high for months! I didn't even link up the 2.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did do some reading and it does happen in some people. Do not know why but with me too much iron suppresses my thyroid which makes my bloodpressure go up. Not sure if that is the correct answer. My doctor did not know.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Interesting and good to know. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thought I would update. Went to doctor in January 9th this year. Seems my thyroid was low and maybe the whole time while taking iron. After asking the NP to raise my dose she did. They only know about TSh not ft4 ft3 you see.

I stopped the iron in December and started feeling more energetic.

She told me my hemoglobin was 13 and told me others on the phone, storage iron, hemocrat etc. I need to get copies of it.

Still get that pulsatile tinnitus after exertion and laying down. My fingernails are a bit whitish in the middle.

I still get tired easy and have been on raised dose of thyroid hormone for a month, but takes 6 to 8 weeks to build up.

So it is hard to tell if it is from anemia or hypothyroidism.

So am not sure if 13 is a good hemo since it is at the bottom of the range. I think the bottom was 12.

Any ideas? ( I don't trust some docs)

Reply Reply