It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

patient42 HB User
Abnormal CBC Results - Cause for concern?

Hi all .. I had a complete blood count I and these items were flagged as Low-

Hematocrit - 32.9 (L)

Hemoglobin - 10.3 (L)

MCH - 21.5 (L)

MCHC - 31.3 (L)

MCV - 69 (L)

RBC - 4.78 (normal)

RDW 18.1 (L)

WBC - 9.4 (normal)

Doctor didn't inform me nor express concern for these flags. Are these numbers cause for further investigation?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Abnormal CBC Results - Cause for concern?

Your numbers very well could indicate anemia. If I knew nothing about it I probably wouldn't look twice but since I do, I would go back to the Dr. if I were you and request an iron serum, iron saturation, ferritin, and a B12 test.

Since your numbers are just teetering on the edge of being low he may have not thought twice about it, or he may have and figured it was nothing to be worried about. You however need to advocate for yourself, if your questioning it; go back and ease your mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
(female)

patient42 HB User

Thanks, Heatherx5.. It's scary when doctors don't seem to pay attention and we as patients are at their mercy. I contacted my doctor about my results and she did not call me back, but had her nurse call and tell me it looks like I'm "slightly anemic," and that it would make no sense to do another test now. She suggested I increase my iron intake through diet and a multivitamin w/iron and come back in 3 months to do a re-test of my blood count..then if the numbers are still out of wack they will proceed with further testing..

Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

...and this is when I get irritated with Dr's. Basically lets wait till your drop lower and are worse of. Not to mention the fact that YOU had to call them for them to look at it again. If your hematocrit and hemoglobin are low I can almost guarantee your iron and ferritin are low too. Those are usually the first things to go then the red blood counts etc start becoming effected. You can find some really good multivitamins at the health food store. A good one to look into is called hemaplex. They will be able to point you in the right direction. Explain to them your situation. The thing with taking iron is it is something that needs to be monitored by the Dr. I would start taking it and call and make an appointment for in a month and when you get there tell them you would like your iron serum, ferritin, b12, and vitamin D levels checked too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
patient42 (01-30-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
(female)

Mariah32 HB User

Yep, sure is frustrating! I didn't see any mention of symptoms in your post, though you might have mentioned those to your doctor. If you haven't yet, I would make sure to talk about that (assuming you have some). They tend to be a little more willing to do further testing when they can document symptoms in addition to abnormal test results. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mariah32 For This Useful Post:
patient42 (01-30-2013)
Reply Reply