It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

k52m75b HB User
Severe Anemia

My teenage daughter was diagnosed with severe iron deficiency anemia. Her blood test numbers were exactly half of the low end of percents/number ranges. I'm scared. Could this be life threatening? Doctor said all other ecg and tests were fine. He prescribed ferrous sulfate 325mg three times daily. How long before she feels better and is out of the danger zone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Severe Anemia

It can be life threatening if someone is severely bleeding or the anemia goes untreated for a while. Since your daughter is being treated for it I wouldn't be to worried about that. Remember anemia is just a symptom of a larger problem so the cause needs to be found. In most young girls anemia is usually caused by monthly cycles, I am no Dr. so it's something he will probably want to investigate.

Anemia can be pretty draining, once the iron starts kicking in I would say she might notice a difference anywhere from a couple weeks to a month or maybe more. It honestly just depends on the person and how well they are absorbing the iron. With the dosage she is on I would say it shouldn't take to long, again I'm not a Dr. We can only hope! It took me months before I started to feel better.

As far is life threatening etc goes, I wouldn't worry to much about that now that she is being treated! Glad you guys caught this before it got any worse. Best wishes!

Wanted to add: Have her take her iron with a glass of orange juice, it helps the body to absorb the iron better. Avoid caffeine, tea etc it reduces the amount the iron is absorbed. Cook in cast iron if you can. Leafy greens.

Last edited by Heatherx5; 01-16-2013 at 12:04 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
k52m75b (01-16-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply