It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

angel2062 HB User
low ferritin, weird symptoms

hi everyone, I'm new to the boards. I was wondering how low should ferritin be to have symptoms? I have battled low ferritin for 5 yrs. In 2007 i had to have iron shots as my ferritin was 7 but my hemaglobin was ok, my ferritin only got up to 58 so i thought i was ok. No doctor told me what it should be. I recently got bloodwork and my ferritin is at 16 and my hemaglobin at 142 so the doctor said it's not that causing your symptoms, but from what i'm reading here i beg to differ. I am extremly tired but can't sleep, cold, restless legs,feel like i'm on a boat at times,weak legs,extremly tight neck/shoulder muscles that is not relieved by massage. The ranges for ferritin on lab results are 6-136 and i'm at 16 so could this cause my symptoms? getting pretty upset with these doctors. please help!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: low ferritin, weird symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel2062 View Post
hi everyone, I'm new to the boards. I was wondering how low should ferritin be to have symptoms? I have battled low ferritin for 5 yrs. In 2007 i had to have iron shots as my ferritin was 7 but my hemaglobin was ok, my ferritin only got up to 58 so i thought i was ok. No doctor told me what it should be. I recently got bloodwork and my ferritin is at 16 and my hemaglobin at 142 so the doctor said it's not that causing your symptoms, but from what i'm reading here i beg to differ. I am extremly tired but can't sleep, cold, restless legs,feel like i'm on a boat at times,weak legs,extremly tight neck/shoulder muscles that is not relieved by massage. The ranges for ferritin on lab results are 6-136 and i'm at 16 so could this cause my symptoms? getting pretty upset with these doctors. please help!
Most people don't even report feeling better till their ferritin reaches 50-70 ish. I disagree with your Dr. and believe ferritin can be the cause of your symptoms only because I am in the same boat and have experienced it first hand. I have a pretty good Dr. who won't even get rid of the anemia diagnosis until my ferritin numbers get up there, and he has first hand told me having low ferritin can cause symptoms like the ones you have listed (I have had them too). Have you found the cause of your anemia? There is a reason this is happening and that needs to be found and treated or you will continue to battle with this. Also have you had your b12 checked? It might not hurt to have that checked out as well as Vitamin D. I'm not sure what the medical system is like in Canada but is there anyway for you to get a second opinion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
(female)

angel2062 HB User

thanks for replying, i have had my b12 checked it was 620 ok i think. my folate was 15 but i don't know what this is or what it can do to you. Didn't get vit d checked but going to a new dr next week so i will let you know what happens.Did you get the feeling like your balance is not quite right? and i wish i could sleep any advice? thanks again

Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel2062 View Post
thanks for replying, i have had my b12 checked it was 620 ok i think. my folate was 15 but i don't know what this is or what it can do to you. Didn't get vit d checked but going to a new dr next week so i will let you know what happens.Did you get the feeling like your balance is not quite right? and i wish i could sleep any advice? thanks again
Yes! I was having panic attacks over my balance and often told my Dr. I feel like I'm in a boat, I can relate to that symptom 100%. It still comes and goes, but it was something that I had daily nonstop for months. The other symptom that drives me crazy is the ringing in my ears. I started to get optical issues too, it's all enough to make someone a basket case. As far as the sleeping goes I am still stuck on that one. My sleeping schedule is a mess because of all this. Do you have a health food store near you, there are some great natural remedies out there. Melatonin being one, I have found it works a bit for me. If you have a natural health food store near you I would recommend going in there and asking them for something natural to help with your sleep issues. That or you can wait till you get into the new Dr. and mention it to him and see if he can give you something to help with that problem.

The following user gives a hug of support to Heatherx5:
angel2062 (01-17-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
angel2062 (01-17-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

Jess8 HB User

Hi all -

I am new to these posts. I have a ferretin level of 19! I have seen my GP, OBGYN and endocrinologist and all have said that my ferretin was "normal" Not only did I start seeing an alternative medicine doctor did she tell me that my ferretin was very low. She is amazing! Love her! I go once a month to get ferretin/b12 shots. She uses Quest diagnostics to send in blood and there range is pretty broad. I think its 12-260 or something along those lines.

I have had EVERY test known to man, been to an ENT had the battery of inner ear tests and all results came back normal, saw a neuro, MRI was fine.

I have many symptoms..the most bothersome to me is the feeling like I am on a boat...my equilibruim is SO off. Its weird because as of late...the rockiness comes and goes. Usually Im ok in the morning but by early afternoon, its comes on without warning. When i am sitting at work...the whole cubicle is rocking!!! Its really scary and makes me anxious and depressed. Then 20 mins later...its subsides but then comes back again. Nausea is not terrible and doesnt always accompany the rocking/floating feeling. Does anyone know if this could be a ferretin issue?? Please help

Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess8 View Post
Hi all -

I am new to these posts. I have a ferretin level of 19! I have seen my GP, OBGYN and endocrinologist and all have said that my ferretin was "normal" Not only did I start seeing an alternative medicine doctor did she tell me that my ferretin was very low. She is amazing! Love her! I go once a month to get ferretin/b12 shots. She uses Quest diagnostics to send in blood and there range is pretty broad. I think its 12-260 or something along those lines.

I have had EVERY test known to man, been to an ENT had the battery of inner ear tests and all results came back normal, saw a neuro, MRI was fine.

I have many symptoms..the most bothersome to me is the feeling like I am on a boat...my equilibruim is SO off. Its weird because as of late...the rockiness comes and goes. Usually Im ok in the morning but by early afternoon, its comes on without warning. When i am sitting at work...the whole cubicle is rocking!!! Its really scary and makes me anxious and depressed. Then 20 mins later...its subsides but then comes back again. Nausea is not terrible and doesnt always accompany the rocking/floating feeling. Does anyone know if this could be a ferretin issue?? Please help
Most definitely it can be Jess. A lot of people with low ferritin report struggling with dizziness and horrible balance. When I first started taking iron my body always felt like it was going to far left, I was running into walls and felt like I was in a boat or about to fall off the face of the earth and spin uncontrollably. Low ferritin is a medical problem and it needs addressed and treated. The number takes months even years to go up, taking iron is half the battle.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
(female)

Jess8 HB User

Thank you Heather! My issue is never spinning but that feeling like im on a boat. Ive also been reading a lot about Mal de debarqument. I wondering if I have that as well. i saw on another thread about treatment with Bio indentical hormones. I know I do have a hormone deficency as well as low ferretin and iron. I am taking ferretin tablets now. they are 325mcg and I take it 2 times a day plus b12. I do get month injections as well. What do you suggest the best supplement is for ferretin? THANK YOU!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I didn't get spinning much but I felt so dizzy and off balance that it could happen at any time. Personally for me, I was taking prescribed stuff in the beginning. I took it for 5 months with barely any results. I switched to a brand that you can get from nature food stores, Hemaplex (slow release). Our bodies can only absorb so much iron at a time so if you take a huge amount it all gets released your body just dumps the rest. I guess I'm thinking if it's released slower over time my body will absorb more rather then getting hit with the large dose and getting rid of the rest. So far I love the results my ferritin went up quite a bit in a month and I'm ready to go get labs done again to see where I'm at. I like it. It's a huge horse pill but it's worth it. Also get yourself some unsulphured blackstrap molasses, you can eat a couple tablespoons of that a day as well. It tastes like black licorice and is pretty rich but has good amounts of iron in it and has other health benefits, look it up! The Hemaplex is fairly cheap I was paying almost 100 a month on iron because my insurance won't pay for iron, they say it's over the counter treatable (whatever) now I pay about 10.

Also, if you have a good nature food store around you, you may be lucky and find someone with great knowledge, talk to them. Ask them what they suggest. I swear these people make more sense then my Dr's have at times. They are smart and can point you in the direction of everything you need too. The molasses is sold at them as well.

Last edited by Heatherx5; 02-10-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Low iron/ferritin/anemia is often associated with gluten intolerance particularly celiac disease, because the iron, as well as many vitamins, doesn't get absorbed by the diseased small bowel. I would recommend anyone who is chronically low on iron or anemic without apparent cause be checked for that. The restless leg syndrome is definitely related to low iron/ferritin and also Vit D deficiency, which can cause calcium deficiency, resulting in osteoporosis. So getting Vit D levels checked is important, as is a bone density test if low. RLS definitely causes insomnia, and Vit D deficiency can contribute to the aching leg pain that often accompanies RLS. Some research on gluten intolerance and celiac disease may clarify some of this for you.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
(female)

Jess8 HB User

THANK YOU so much Heather! I am seeing my alternative medicine doc this weekend and I will ask her about those things! How is your ''off balance-ness" do you still have it? Mine would come out of no where! I would be fine one minute than all of the sudden i was on a boat!!! So strange!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

You are welcome. You can do what lady has said too, get tested for Celiac's. I always forget about that one but there is a test for it and it might be worth looking into. As far as the off balance goes I have my good days and bad. I was at one point waking up with it, I actually had nose surgery because of some sinus issues to try and get rid of it. Nope. I regret it, because this whole time it has been the anemia! I have more good days now, maybe get it a few times a week rather then waking up with it all day everyday!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
(female)

angel2062 HB User

hi i have been having the same thing. my naturopath told me if you don't have enough ferritin your muscles can become tight which i have so i went to a physiotherapist who has a laser(red and infrared light) she put it on both sides of my neck. i also had a chiropractor working on tight neck muscles and that feeling of swaying/rocking goes away check it out. hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to angel2062 For This Useful Post:
Jess8 (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
(female)

Jess8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherx5 View Post
You are welcome. You can do what lady has said too, get tested for Celiac's. I always forget about that one but there is a test for it and it might be worth looking into. As far as the off balance goes I have my good days and bad. I was at one point waking up with it, I actually had nose surgery because of some sinus issues to try and get rid of it. Nope. I regret it, because this whole time it has been the anemia! I have more good days now, maybe get it a few times a week rather then waking up with it all day everyday!
Heather - I have been tested for Celiac and do not have it BUT do have an interolerance to it. Thank you for the info on Hemaplex...I will definetly look into that!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
(female)

mgmom3 HB User

I'm brand new to these boards. I stumbled on this board in desperation to find other people with the same symptoms. I, too, have been struggling with the rocking boat/swaying dizziness. I've had it for 12 years but it was fine for a few years to where I didn't even notice it. However, I experienced a "true" vertigo episode (room spinning, nausea, vomiting) in Aug 2012 and, since then, it's been a struggle again. The last 2 months it's been pretty consistent on a daily basis. Y'all know it's nerve wracking!

I have a history of low ferritin so I was hoping that my levels were low and causing the consistent dizziness but my labs say I'm at a 50. Is that still low enough to cause this dizziness?!? I was at a 28 in April so I started taking iron again regularly 2 weeks before this lab work was done. Could that have caused it to have a higher reading?

Here's the latest:
CBC(Q,L,S) HEMATOCRIT 44.0 % (35.0-45.0)
CBC(Q,L,S) MCV 94.9 fL (80.0-100.0)
CBC(Q,L,S) MCH 31.1 pg (27.0-33.0)
CBC(Q,L,S) HEMOGLOBIN 14.4 g/dL (11.7-15.5)
CBC(Q,L,S) RED BLOOD CELL COUNT 4.64 Million/uL (3.80-5.10)
CBC(Q,L,S) WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT 5.6 Thousand/uL (3.8-10.8)
Ferritin (Q,L,S) FERRITIN 50 ng/mL (10-154)

I appreciate any help and support.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
(female)

mgmom3 HB User

I'm brand new to these boards. I stumbled on this board in desperation to find other people with the same symptoms. I, too, have been struggling with the rocking boat/swaying dizziness. It started 12 years ago, but it was fine for a few years to where I didn't even notice it. However, I experienced a "true" vertigo episode (room spinning, nausea, vomiting) in Aug 2012 and, since then, it's been a struggle again. The last 2 months it's been pretty consistent on a daily basis. Y'all know it's nerve wracking!

I have a history of low ferritin so I was actually hoping that my levels were low and causing the consistent dizziness but my labs say I'm at a 50. Is that still low enough to cause this dizziness?!? I was at a 28 in April so I started taking iron again regularly 2 weeks before this lab work was done. Could that have caused it to have a higher reading?

Here's my latest labs:
CBC(Q,L,S) HEMATOCRIT 44.0 % (35.0-45.0)
CBC(Q,L,S) MCV 94.9 fL (80.0-100.0)
CBC(Q,L,S) MCH 31.1 pg (27.0-33.0)
CBC(Q,L,S) HEMOGLOBIN 14.4 g/dL (11.7-15.5)
CBC(Q,L,S) RED BLOOD CELL COUNT 4.64 Million/uL (3.80-5.10)
CBC(Q,L,S) WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT 5.6 Thousand/uL (3.8-10.8)
IRON AND TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY % SATURATION 44 % (calc) (15-50)
IRON AND TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY IRON BINDING CAPACITY 328 mcg/dL (250-450)
IRON AND TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY IRON, TOTAL 143 mcg/dL (40-175)
FERRITIN 50 ng/mL (10-154)

I've learned over the last year that I lean towards hypothyroidism with borderline Hashimoto's and I am gluten intolerant.

I appreciate any advice and support.

Reply Reply