It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

Marie1010 HB User
Newbie Inroduction- Anemic and Confused

Hello, I'm glad I found this site. I was diagnosed with Anemia at 15 but it wasn't until 5 months ago that things got really bad.

I was sleeping for 12-15 hours, nauseous, craved ice cubes, headaches and all. I went to my doctor, he casually suggested blood work and I said definitely. A few days later he called and just said "Your severely Anemic". I was shocked but glad to know what was wrong. He suggested Iron vitamins and that was it.

I went to a good vitamin store and stocked up on Hema-Plex, Vit. C,D, B complex and Amino Acids.

The problem is that things have slightly improved but the nausea is still present. I don't crave any food, I'm nauseous all the time and I can barely function.

The doctor said I may need an Iron Infusion but I have no insurance.

Just stuck and not sure what to do. I may ask for a referral to a Hematologist.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Newbie Inroduction- Anemic and Confused

Welcome to the boards. I am very sorry you are going through this. When you are severely anemic and taking iron daily it's a good idea to have your numbers checked monthly for a little while, just to see where you are and if things are improving. It while take the iron a while to get in your system and kick in, especially when you are taking it orally. I know how you feel, I didn't have insurance either and couldn't get infusions. Infusions however will work faster though. If you are planning on sticking with doing it orally, you are going to be in for a long battle. It took me about 3 months to even feel a change in energy levels. Not saying this will be the case with you as everyone is different but it's also not a quick fix. It takes 3 months for your body to even build new healthy red blood cells.

Anemia is just a symptom of a larger problem. The cause for the anemia needs to be found and fixed. How much iron are you taking? Usually you need more then the normal amount and higher doses are prescribed. I was taking 325 mgs of iron a day. Iron gives me some seriously nasty side effects though so I went to the health food store and got hemaplex as well. I switched to the slow release kind though to see if it would be easier on my gut. So far I like it.

Avoid caffeine and take your pill with a glass of orange juice, the vitamin C will help the iron absorb better. Try and eat more iron rich foods. Liver, leafy greens, stuff like that. Cook in cast iron pans.

I wish I could tell you this is a quick fix. Hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User
Re: Newbie Inroduction- Anemic and Confused

Keep taking the hemoplex iron tablets take three or four a day if you have to, also take two tablespoons of blackstrap molasses every morning this is loaded with iron.
From severe anema to needing a transfusion i just got my results today and i am back to normal levels within six months. I was a mess myself and i chewed on ice cubes for two years. My hemoglobin was 88 and my ferratin was too low to measure six months ago, today it's at 144 and ferratin at 17, al my counts are up and my cells are back to normal size. I feel great, and hemoplex has no side effects. Good luck, i hope ou have the same results as me

Reply Reply