It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

AJMW11 HB User
low hemoglobin, high total iron

My son's labwork is "conflicting" according to his pediatrician. He's been on iron supplements for 3 months for low hemoglobin at his 9 month old blood draw and just had his blood redrawn at 14 months old. His Hemoglobin is still slightly low (11.0), but his total iron is high (203) ad his iron binding capacity is also high (532).

His pediatrician told me to keep doing the supplements, but why would we supplement if his total iron is high? And does anyone know what these results could possibly mean? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: low hemoglobin, high total iron

Do you happen to have his TIBC/Transferrin & UIBC numbers? Did they check those? Do issues with iron run in your family at all? Does he have a chronic illness? Have you taken him to a hematologist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
(female)

AJMW11 HB User
Re: low hemoglobin, high total iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherx5 View Post
Do you happen to have his TIBC/Transferrin & UIBC numbers? Did they check those? Do issues with iron run in your family at all? Does he have a chronic illness? Have you taken him to a hematologist?
My mom and I are usually anemic but have not been diagnosed with any disease, we just "run low."
He has not been to a hematologist
TIBC was done and was also high, I believe 500 something. And his platelets are also high (400+).
I talked to his doc again last night and she said they did some kind of calculation using his numbers and determined that there was an iron deficiency component to his anemia so we have to continue supplementing, and the supplements we are giving him are really just a multivit with a little bit of iron so she didn't think it would be harmful.

Reply Reply