It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
(male)

Bezza743 HB User
Anemia Symptoms???

for the last few months i have felt fatigued to the point where i would have 6-7 hours of sleep per night, go to school, then come home and fall asleep for 1-3 hours. Is this normal? i have noticed that i have lost motivation to exercise during the day, since i always feel fatigued, however when it is 8-9 o'clock at night im up and about feeling really energetic to the point where i would go outside and jump on my trampoline or kick a ball around for 1-2 hours. i am only 17 years old, weigh 73kg and am 189cm tall. surely i shoudnt be this tired everyday???? homework isnt a problem as such and i eat pretty healthy - vegies most if not all nights as well as pasta, rice, tuna, steak, chicken, bananas, sandwiches and alot of cereal!!!!! (Mostly weet bix [wheat biscuits] or Uncle Tobies PLUS Antioxidant Lift) i eat alot of weet bix, usually between 10-15 a day ( at different times) surely this would provide stable energy throughout my day yet i feel sluggish and unfocused. i only use low fat milk and i am an avid tea drinker. i use at most only 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per cuppa and i usually drink between 2-5 cups of tea a day. i also drink at least a 1L of water a day. what is wrong with me?? surely these foods and drinks would provide me with enough qauality nutrients and energy to allow me to be focused an d alert and motivated during the day? i dont eat or drink any junk food either!!!! could anemia be the culprit? i read somewhere that that can cause chronic fatigue....? i know this is probably totally unrelated but i also have noticed that for the past few months if not few years i have very restless legs, usually in the calf area, that require me to stretch and exercise in order to stop them from feeling funny. it mostly happens before i go to bed or when i lie down. is restless leg syndrome a symptom of anemia? i also have times when i get up too quickly from a sitting or lying down position on the couch or bed that cause me to get dizzy and disorientated.... what could this be ??? Low blood pressure??? this feeling usually makes me resort to getting on my hands and knees or holding onto something so i dont trip or lose balance and fall over and hit something as that has happened to me once before when i felt dizzy, blacked out, fallen over and smashed my head on a coffee table, resulting in me to get several stitches..... i am also a very moody and irratable person at times when i am tired, usually in the mornings.

ps. when i wake up, either on a school day or weekend, i feel unrefreshed. this occurs most days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
(female)

Somnambulist HB User
Re: Anemia Symptoms???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezza743 View Post
for the last few months i have felt fatigued to the point where i would have 6-7 hours of sleep per night, go to school, then come home and fall asleep for 1-3 hours. Is this normal? i have noticed that i have lost motivation to exercise during the day, since i always feel fatigued, however when it is 8-9 o'clock at night im up and about feeling really energetic to the point where i would go outside and jump on my trampoline or kick a ball around for 1-2 hours. i am only 17 years old, weigh 73kg and am 189cm tall. surely i shoudnt be this tired everyday???? homework isnt a problem as such and i eat pretty healthy - vegies most if not all nights as well as pasta, rice, tuna, steak, chicken, bananas, sandwiches and alot of cereal!!!!! (Mostly weet bix [wheat biscuits] or Uncle Tobies PLUS Antioxidant Lift) i eat alot of weet bix, usually between 10-15 a day ( at different times) surely this would provide stable energy throughout my day yet i feel sluggish and unfocused. i only use low fat milk and i am an avid tea drinker. i use at most only 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per cuppa and i usually drink between 2-5 cups of tea a day. i also drink at least a 1L of water a day. what is wrong with me?? surely these foods and drinks would provide me with enough qauality nutrients and energy to allow me to be focused an d alert and motivated during the day? i dont eat or drink any junk food either!!!! could anemia be the culprit? i read somewhere that that can cause chronic fatigue....? i know this is probably totally unrelated but i also have noticed that for the past few months if not few years i have very restless legs, usually in the calf area, that require me to stretch and exercise in order to stop them from feeling funny. it mostly happens before i go to bed or when i lie down. is restless leg syndrome a symptom of anemia? i also have times when i get up too quickly from a sitting or lying down position on the couch or bed that cause me to get dizzy and disorientated.... what could this be ??? Low blood pressure??? this feeling usually makes me resort to getting on my hands and knees or holding onto something so i dont trip or lose balance and fall over and hit something as that has happened to me once before when i felt dizzy, blacked out, fallen over and smashed my head on a coffee table, resulting in me to get several stitches..... i am also a very moody and irratable person at times when i am tired, usually in the mornings.

ps. when i wake up, either on a school day or weekend, i feel unrefreshed. this occurs most days.

Standing up and getting dizzy could be anemia and it is also low blood pressure -- how's your BP look? Can you have someone take it while you're sitting and then again when you're standing to see the difference?

You may be going through a growth spurt which would account for being tired, but it could be chronic fatigue or even anxiety (are you anxious about anything the past few months? Even if it don't feel it outwardly, could anything be bothering you behind the scenes?)

I'm trying to think of what else -- mostly you sound really healthy but then it is hard to know without seeing your blood tests and stuff. Can't hurt to get checked for anemia (esp if you have heavy periods.)

Otherwise I'm wondering about sleeping problems like sleep apnea which can cause all kinds of symptoms when you're awake.

wiki says "Sleep apnea affects not only adults but some children as well.[4] As stated by El-Ad, "patients complain about excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) and impaired alertness".[4] In other words, common effects of sleep apnea include daytime fatigue, a slower reaction time, and vision problems.[4] Moreover, patients are examined using “standard test batteries” in order to further identify parts of the brain that are affected by sleep apnea.[4] Tests have shown that certain parts of the brain cause different effects. The “executive functioning” part of the brain affects the way the patient plans and initiates tasks.[4] Second, the part of the brain that deals with attention causes difficulty in paying attention, working effectively and processing information when in a waking state.[4] Thirdly, the part of the brain that uses memory and learning is also affected.[4] Due to the disruption in daytime cognitive state, behavioral effects are also present. This includes moodiness, belligerence, as well as a decrease in attentiveness and drive."

Last edited by Somnambulist; 01-31-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
anemia, low blood pressure, restless leg syndrome