It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
(female)

charlibee HB User
could someone check these numbers? incompetent doctor?

I recently had a hemorrhage while giving birth which was completely unexpected. The only medical kind of trouble I had during birth was low energy and found out I was anemic. (ps, I took iron supplements and got into the low area of the normal range before giving birth, luckily).

Anyways, I want to figure out why I hemorrhaged (any health issues being overlooked) and went to have my blood tested for iron levels and any clotting issues. My doc said the results came back 'fine', but when I requested a copy, they did not look fine to me.

But what do I know, I'm not a doctor!

Could I get the advise from some of you here on what you think of these numbers:

wbc - 7.5
rbc - 4.16 (low) (range 4.2-5.5) m/uL
hgb 11.7 (low) (range 12-16) g/dL
HCT 38.7
MCV 93
MCH 28.1
MCHC 30.2 (low) (range 32-36) g/dL
RDW 13.7
PLT 282
MPV 11.6 (high) (range 7.4-10.4) IL

I'm a novice to all this. Did a google search and came to the conclusion that this could mean: bleed easily, low iron, autoimmune/inflammation, etc. and that High platelet volume is usually the result of infection, anemia, blood loss, cancer and arthritis/inflammatory diseases or luekemia, mycoplasmas, cirrhosis, lymphoma etc. That's all I came up with.

ALL I want to know is if I have a blood disorder and/or clotting issue..?? I've dealt with too many incompetent doctors in the past so I am very skeptical of her saying I'm 'fine'.

Don't these numbers mean something is a little off in my blood??

Thank you for any thoughts, opinions, etc. I've given up on doctors and have no insurance now for the time being so finding a 'good one' is not an option at the moment.

Last edited by charlibee; 02-07-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: could someone check these numbers? incompetent doctor?

Your lab results indicate very mild anemia, iron deficiency (Low mchc) left over from the hemorrhage. The large platellet size is probably from the anemia. There is nothing here to indicate inflammation, infection or any clotting problem or bleeding problem. Those are other tests that would have to be done to evaluate that, but really there is no need. Many women bleed excessively after birth because the uterine muscle is so fatigues from labor contractions, that it sometimes doesn't contract well to clamp off bleeding vessels after the placenta separates. Once there has been acute blood loss, iron supplements should be taken at least 3 months to restore the iron stores in the liver. Once your count comes up and the iron stores replaced, you should be fine. Your Dr probably wasn't concerned because the anemia is borderline and the reason for it already known.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
(female)

redheadsouthpaw HB User

There are lots of reasons that women can hemmorrhage during/after birth. I don't know what yours was, but usually it has nothing to do with an underlying medical problem, and the cause of the hemmorrhage is usually resolved soon after the birth. (some reasons for hemmorrhage can include prolonged labor, labor induced with medications, large baby, etc etc) Your RBC and hgb are just a bit low, but that is probably to be expected after your hemmorrhage, and that is probably why your doctor is not concerned about it. As long as you are not actively bleeding, your numbers will probably go back up to normal range before too long. If you are concerned, ask your doc for a follow up blood test to see if your counts are coming back to normal.
As for the MPV being elevated- I am not sure about that, but since elevated MPV can be related to anemia and blood loss, and you are borderline anemic with a recent hemmorrhage, I would guess that is the most likely reason. Especially since your platelet count is normal. The other thing that comes to my mind is, I know MPV can become elevated with pre-eclampsia, which some women develop when they are pregnant. I do not know if you had this or not, but if you did, perhaps this could be related. I am a nurse, not a doctor, so these are just my thoughts based on what I know ..why not give your doc a call and ask her to explain the specific results to you? It is her job to keep you informed and explain things to you, and if it gives you peace of mind it is worth it. Besides, it never hurts to have the doc take a second look at things anyway

Old 02-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
(female)

charlibee HB User

oops double post

Last edited by charlibee; 02-09-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: oops double post

Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
(female)

charlibee HB User

thanks so much for the responses I truly appreciate the thoughts shared. I'm still taking iron tablets and suppose next time around I will hope for the best. I had a 42 week prodromal labor so that was probably the major factor. I do bruise easily and bruises and bug bites seem to heal very slowly on me, so thats why I'm curious about any blood issues I might have.

I should post a separate thread on this but do any of you know if coq10 or fish oil would have made me more likely to bleed like that??? I know they warn to stop fish oil before surgery...wouldn't that apply before birth too??

Last edited by charlibee; 02-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Reply Reply