It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Need help with bloodtests?

Iron and Total Iron Binding capacity

Iron,Total 64 range 40-160
Iron Binding capacity 339 range 250-450
Ferritin 47 range 10-232

This is about 3 weeks after going off iron. NP said it was fine but to me iron still low as well as ferritin.

Hemoglobin 14.7 range 11.7-15.5

I have pale fingernails, face paleness as well as lips, tiredness.

Guess doc didn't think anything about it. Well I knew there might be something wrong so got my bloodtests.

Do you think I should be taking iron still. Don't think it was absorbing well since I was hypothyroid at the time, which the NP missed also.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Need help with bloodtests?

Lady, I'm sure you already know what I'm going to say and having been around long enough you know my feelings on ferritin. Wow, amazing number there but I honestly don't feel it's high enough. Remember most people don't even report feeling an ounce of better till ferritin reaches 50's to 70's. I don't see why they would take you off iron now why not let you take it for a bit longer and get them even higher. We both know how long it takes to get those ferritin numbers up there. Just because your crit and globin are now in the normal ranges doesn't mean everything is perfect we also both know how fast those can drop. I wish I was a Dr. right now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I know Heather its ridiculous. Had these test done early January and NP tells me all the tests on the phone. So I thought okay must be good accept she mentioned my cholesterol being a bit high, which goes with hypothyroidism.

Could beat myself up for not picking up my results to look them over. Maybe a bit of hypothyroidism brain fog.

My saturation rate is only 18% and should be 35%.

New something was wrong because of the pulsatile tinnitus and tiredness. pale fingernails. Will be taking 150 to 200mg of elemental iron per day.

Hope I notice the difference soon. My name is going to be "tired".LOL

Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

I was going to ask about your saturation and totally spaced it. Anemia brain is what I call it! Pull down your eyelids and look inside as well as gums, those are very good indicators as well. I am sorry you are going through this, still! Along with hypo that can't feel to good. I made them check my thyroid too, so far so good. Sometimes it's just so hard to believe that this little thing can do so much to someone. I hope that iron kicks in for you. I am sure you have seen a few of my posts where I mention that I got my ablation done, my hematocrit and hemoglobin are fine, great numbers! However, my OB says that I will need to take iron for at least another year just to get the ferritin number up. My ferritin was a 33 last time we checked, that should give you a little bit of an idea. I'm so glad I have Dr's that don't just go off hemoglobin and hematocrit and let me stay in the low zone. I think I got lucky there, my Dr. says 33 is still way to low. Keep me posted on how your doing.
Wishing you the best!

Reply Reply