It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

krob27 HB User
Low Transferrin AND iron. Need help!

lkjhgfdsaer

Last edited by krob27; 02-27-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: add comment

Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Low Transferrin AND iron. Need help!

Welcome. First of all Dr. Google sucks, stop using him. I am sure that your Dr. knows your history with drinking, if he is treating you then he has a handle on things. He will most likely just have you take iron and retest you after taking it for a while and see how those numbers are doing. There are many things that can cause anemia. Many. I think by you quitting the drinking and taking care of yourself by taking the iron you are making great strides. Your numbers aren't really that to far off from normal. Give it a couple months and do your best to stop drinking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

krob27 HB User

Thanks for the response! I am really skeptical about taking iron with transferrin levels this low. I've read that with low transferrin, sometimes this type of anemia can mimic iron deficiency, and by taking iron supplements, I'd be at risk for developing an iron overload... Also, does anyone know if low transferrin is a good indication of a liver problem? My liver function test looked good. Nothing was abnormal there, but I can't really find any causes of low transferrin other than liver problems, which would be directly caused by liver disease or indirectly by another health issue that would affect my liver. Any other feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
(female)

denisenewmark HB User
Smile Re: Low Transferrin AND iron. Need help!

I commend you for stopping alcohol! That was a huge step and probably the best thing ever! If you are a smoker I would give that up too - and begin to eat as healthy as you can? Fresh if you can - meat/chicken/pork and veggies. Let us know how your hematologist appt goes - hugs!!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
(female)

krob27 HB User

Thanks! Yep, still going strong on not drinking. I feel great... I should be getting my referral soon. I hope all is well, and this isn't from a liver problem.. I do smoke, but I really have to take it one step at a time. I figure not drinking is step one. I plan on quitting smoking again soon, too.

Reply Reply