It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

kris85 HB User
is my iron low enough to be causing these symtoms

Hi all

I'm 28 yr old female & was just hoping for some answers as the whole iron thing is confusing me!

for the past few months I've been getting the following: lightheaded & dizzy spells, disorientated/disconnected feeling, skipped beats (palps) mostly during exercise, extreme fatigue (more the past few weeks), generally feeling off & no motivation, cranky.. few other small things but thats the main stuff..

went to dr, had blood test plus some heart tests to rule anything serious..

Everything checked out except my iron came back at 15 which my dr said was quite low and may be the cause of symptoms - however may not be either!

i know i dont get enough iron so i wasnt surprised - i also gave birth 10 months ago which maybe contributed - but when reading on iron deficiency, most sites I've seen dont seem to class it as a deficiency unless 12 or under..

my question is - is my iron low enough to be causing me to feel so darn crappy?? im on supplements now but i know they can take a fair old while to kick in and in the meantime i need answers! im scared theres something else more serious going on but my dr just took the easy path by blaming iron.

any help would be greatly appreciated!! thank you

Old 02-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: is my iron low enough to be causing these symtoms

Yes your low iron would cause those symptoms. When mine was very low at 36 it was hard for me to even stand up very long, but I am 59 year female.

So did doc put you on iron I hope?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

What lady said . On top of that if your iron was only a 15, your ferritin is even lower I'm sure and that is no good. Low ferritin causes a lot of symptoms like the ones you have listed and then some!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
(female)

kris85 HB User

thanks for replying! I'm taking iron now but read somewhere it can sometimes take months to see improvements I hope it eases my symptoms. I'm so so tired which makes it so hard to look after my son - and the symptoms can be quite scary! I know iron deficiency isn't a small thing but I do hope its whats causing everything as at least its something treatable

Reply Reply