It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
High dose iron for 18 days now have symptoms the same as before

I had the pulatile tinnitus with low iron, pale fingernails, pale skin. Now after being on iron for 18 days 150mg to 200mg(elemental iron), feel the same as before starting iron. With pulsatile tinnitus and tiredness. Accept I do not have all the paleness. Also have low thyroid so. Just the same thing over again.

Was feeling great about a week ago then bam it hit me. Anyway I am off all iron for bloodtests Monday.

Last edited by Lady50; 03-02-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: High dose iron for 18 days now have symptoms the same as before

Wishing you the best on your labs lady. Sometimes it takes iron a while to kick in and it really just depends on how low you are hopefully you aren't having any absorption issues. I went in to get my labs done finallyyyy and the Dr. told me to wake 2 weeks, seems I have a bad sinus infection and he didn't want false numbers. I am just ready to know already, if this ablation was worth it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I have very bad ear infection Go figure!!! Having whitecoat hypertension is complicating things a bit, and pointing out to NP that she missed seeing my low iron, saturation and ferritin.

Instead of having me check my BP at home and writing it down. She wants me to come in Friday and have it checked at the office. I think that sounds like a payback.LOL Ain't gonna happen.

Going to find and endocrinologist for thyroid and hematologist for iron.

Got my bloodrawn for a bunch of stuff and think she is waiting for me to come in get BP tested and then show me results.Ain't gonna happen.

Sorry just babbling here while pulling out the hair.LOL

Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It usually takes 1-2 months for anemia to correct and then another 3-4 months for iron stores to replenish, so give it time. If it doesn't work, you may have an absorption issue, such as occurs with celiac disease from gluten intolerance. I would just ask your NP's office to email or mail your lab results to you, and take BP recordings at home, with written documentation to be put in your medical record. Getting your thyroid straightened out will definitely help your fatigue as well as getting the anemia corrected.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you LadyBud that sounds like a great idea and am sticking to it.LOL After a few weeks after taking high dose iron it seems to suppress my thyroid a bit and needs to be reduced. Think that is normal isn't it? Well only if you have a low thyroid I guess.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I have never heard of iron suppressing your thyroid, unless you have hemachromatosis, iron overload, which can deposit in the thyroid and make it go hypo. Others may want to weigh in on this, as I could be off in my thinking.

Reply Reply