It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

Swoozle HB User
Low ferritin the cause?

Hi. I went to my docs in November due to losing hair, feeling run down, daily palpitations etc. All of my bloods have come back normal except low ferritin of 7. After a few month of iron pills it has gone up to 11. The iron is killing my stomach and my doc suggested that getting the levels back to normal may not make any difference to my symptoms!. I was hoping to get them up to at least eliminate this as the cause of my feeling ill and tired all the time. Does anyone have similar issues or have any ideas or suggestions?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User
Re: Low ferritin the cause?

I had low ferritin a couple of years ago..same as you losing hair and run down. I took the Slo-Fe supplement with Lysine. That was easy and the stomach and the lysine helped it to absorb better. My ferritin came up and my hair came back. I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
(female)

Swoozle HB User
Smile Re: Low ferritin the cause?

Thanks. I will give it a go. Is it available on perscription and how long did it take to feel better and for hair to start growing back?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Low ferritin takes a very long time to bounce back from. Months...years. Depends on how well your body is absorbing and if the cause has been found. Usually iron deficiencies are just a symptom of a larger problem. Heavy bleeding, celiac's disease, b12 deficiencies, ulcers, etc. Most people don't report feeling better till their ferritin levels reach 50-70's. Taking iron will make a difference but it's not like taking a round of antibiotics, it takes a while, longer then any of us wish .

If you are having issues with your stomach it is ok to take it with food. Drink OJ with it as it helps the absorption. Try a slow release kind of iron. I am taking Hema-plex sustained release right now it's packed with other vitamins as well and I love it. Some of the side effects do suck and sometimes you have to switch around to find one that is easier for your system. This is where having a Dr. comes in handy because he can give you some ideas. Also you are going to want to be getting your labs checked every now and again. It's not recommended to take iron w/o Dr's care.

Best wishes!

The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
Swoozle (03-27-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoozle View Post
Hi. I went to my docs in November due to losing hair, feeling run down, daily palpitations etc. All of my bloods have come back normal except low ferritin of 7. After a few month of iron pills it has gone up to 11. The iron is killing my stomach and my doc suggested that getting the levels back to normal may not make any difference to my symptoms!. I was hoping to get them up to at least eliminate this as the cause of my feeling ill and tired all the time. Does anyone have similar issues or have any ideas or suggestions?
swoozle, my ferritin was 9
i was prescribed iron, 325 mg 3x a day. i thought "WHAT? 3 times a day!!?"
first off... if i need it 3 times a day then of course i will take it-- but the rules with taking medications is what frustrates me. i have to take it before meals but then i am also on wellbutrin 2 times a day and taking magnesium and b-complex and not sure how to take all of these. and i take xanax at night. GEE WHIZ. i think i digest more pills than i do food.

i'm sorry the iron is killing your stomach.. what do you mean? cramping? i know it causes constipation and that is one thing i am NOT looking forward to. I already try to eat extra fiber because i get constipated easily.
but what is the brand of iron you are taking... is it prescription?
mine is just ferrous sulfate.
i'm sure it's going to jack me up.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #6
(female)

Swoozle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolyn View Post
swoozle, my ferritin was 9
i was prescribed iron, 325 mg 3x a day. i thought "WHAT? 3 times a day!!?"
first off... if i need it 3 times a day then of course i will take it-- but the rules with taking medications is what frustrates me. i have to take it before meals but then i am also on wellbutrin 2 times a day and taking magnesium and b-complex and not sure how to take all of these. and i take xanax at night. GEE WHIZ. i think i digest more pills than i do food.

i'm sorry the iron is killing your stomach.. what do you mean? cramping? i know it causes constipation and that is one thing i am NOT looking forward to. I already try to eat extra fiber because i get constipated easily.
but what is the brand of iron you are taking... is it prescription?
mine is just ferrous sulfate.
i'm sure it's going to jack me up.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
(female)

Swoozle HB User

Hi, the doc percribed Ferrous Sulphate but the stomach troubles included heartburn, nausea and terrible abdominal cramps with constipation. I'm thinking of switching to the suggested slow release iron or even liquid iron? From what you guys say it will take a while to get back to normal but hopefully we'll all get there. i had wondered about iron infusions to speed things up but don't think I qualify as my haemoglobin was normal??

Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
(female)

Swoozle HB User

Hi Heather. Thanks for the advice:-) Are you still suffering from low ferritin now? is your doctor quite sympathetic? It's interesting that you mention the underlying cause, my doctor didn't mention anything about what may be causing it and hasn't investigated.
Kind regards

Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
(female)

Swoozle HB User

Good luck with your Ferrous Sulphate. Everyone is different so hopefully your stomach will not reacte badly to it. Fingers crossed for you :-)

Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User

I assumed whatever my doc prescribed was a slow release... hmm..
But it doesn't say on the bottle. That worries me because my stomach is sensitive too.
I guess I need to make sure I eat after I take it.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

There is a cause. I started with a ferritin of a 2 last year. I have had heavy monthlies every month for as long as I can remember, I got an ablation and need to get my labs checked again to see if they are getting any better now that I'm not bleeding anymore. Do you have heavy periods? Ulcers? Gluten intolerance (Celiac's Disease) a lot of the times a simple change in diet or something to slow/stop bleeding etc is a life saver, but if you keep struggling with this I can't stress enough that you have your Dr. start investigating why you are continuously becoming anemic.

The first thing that goes with anemia is your ferritin which is your iron stores, the iron serum, the saturation, then your hemoglobin and hematocrit will start slipping.

My Dr. is very good to me. My last check my ferritin had reached a 33, my hematocrit and hemoglobin were finally up but I can not stress to you enough that just because you have a normal hemoglobin and hematocrit doesn't mean a thing, many people can still be anemic and these number can still be normal. I still feel bad and I still have bad days. Having a low ferritin can cause so many unpleasant side effects.

I just did a ton of research because I wanted to know what was wrong with me. I taught myself what I had and what was going on with my body, I also taught myself how to read labs. I got every side effect possible and then some I'm sure including anxiety, panic, and depression. My Dr. wanted to treat me for depression and OCD at first then ended up calling me back and telling me to come trade anti-depressants for iron. :/ Going on a year now. Longest year of my life.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

I had my ablation in December and my OB told me I can plan on taking iron for at least another year. It's a long bounceback and miserable! I won't stop taking iron till my ferritin is at least close to 200.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
(female)

snowbell60 HB User

I have been feeling really run down and all my tests came normal except for a ferritin level of 8. My hgb is 12.3 though. My doctor asked me to take one iron pill a day. I started with iron bisglycinate - 18mg a day since I read that it has less side effects. However, I get slight headache, bloated stomach and nausea whenever I take it. Anyone else used that kind and noticed side effects ? Would a slow release iron have less side-effects ?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

You know snow having low ferritin can cause the same side effects? I feel and felt the same way, I just sucked it up and took the iron because honestly feeling the way I feel without it was so much worse.

Symptoms of low ferritin:

Minor aches
Pica
Fatigue
Weakness
Heart palpitations
Increased pulse
Loss of energy
Loss of libido
Confusion
Irritability
Headache
Hairloss
Loss of energy levels in the body
Confusion
Pale skin and eyes
Brittle nails
Cognitive problems
Excessive bruising
Pain in abdomen
Tingling and numbness of the fingers and toes.

The list goes on and on. Take a slower release might be easier but the lower your dose the less iron your getting, the longer this is going to take. Also you might want to give yourself/body a while to adjust to the iron sometimes a lot of the side effects from the iron go away as your body adjust. How long did you take that dose of iron?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
(female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherx5 View Post
You know snow having low ferritin can cause the same side effects? I feel and felt the same way, I just sucked it up and took the iron because honestly feeling the way I feel without it was so much worse.

Symptoms of low ferritin:

Minor aches
Pica
Fatigue
Weakness
Heart palpitations
Increased pulse
Loss of energy
Loss of libido
Confusion
Irritability
Headache
Hairloss
Loss of energy levels in the body
Confusion
Pale skin and eyes
Brittle nails
Cognitive problems
Excessive bruising
Pain in abdomen
Tingling and numbness of the fingers and toes.

The list goes on and on. Take a slower release might be easier but the lower your dose the less iron your getting, the longer this is going to take. Also you might want to give yourself/body a while to adjust to the iron sometimes a lot of the side effects from the iron go away as your body adjust. How long did you take that dose of iron?
I did feel worst before starting the Iron. I felt like I was sleeping my life away. The slower release Iron tablets that I have seen have more daily allowance than the one I am taking. I am taking 18mg, which is just 100% daily coverage. My doctor wanted me to take just that much or just Women's one a day with Iron. I have been taking it for a little more than a month now. My physical fatigue is slightly better but I still feel pretty lightheaded some days.

Reply Reply