It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

tiredallwys HB User
light headed, tired and always irritated with no energy

I had very bad light headedness, taking couple steps made me feel dizzy...this went on for almost a month, now I am tiny better but has the same symptoms. When I went to the doctor she said I have little bit of anemia and didn't find anything with my blood work....maybe I should do a head MRI.

Here is my blood work..

Ferritin low 5 ng/ mL
Iron saturation low 9%
Hemoglobin low 11.1 g/dl
MCV low 76.1 fL
MCH low 24.3 pg
MCHC low 31.9 g/dL
RDW high 17.4
Platelets normal 272
WBC normal 4.6
RBC normal 4.55

Lymphocytes high 48.8
TSH normal .80

I have been anemic for a while but these days I have lost interest in anything, irritated by kids, always tired and complaining. I usually can't take iron supplements due to irritation in stomach but I wanted to try this time. It made me nauseous, acid reflux, heart burn etc. On top of all these I get migraine every other day.

Any advice appreciated...

Old 05-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
(female)

alamogal635 HB User
Re: light headed, tired and always irritated with no energy

Don't know what all brands and types of Iron you have tried. ONe that seems well tolerated is Hemoplex. Other folks have said slow release iron is better tolerated. I seem to tolerate iron supplements well, but have heard good things about the ones mentioned above. Also, my doctor has me taking Prilosec at supper time and it helped with any possible stomach upsets. I don't know what else in the way of advice to offer, but I hope you feel better and that things work out so that you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You are anemic enough to be having dizziness and fatigue from it. If you can find an iron supplement you can tolerate, I think you'll feel better. It is easy to lose patience when you are too tired to function. The real question is, why are you anemic? That is important to find out, rather than just treating the symptoms and not the cause.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
(female)

tiredallwys HB User

I had tried slow iron and even kids flinstones but made me very nauseous, stomach cramps, heart burn etc.

I had done colonoscopy and found hemmaroids but doctor doesn't think that is the reason....this was couple of years and I was in similar situation.

I have been generally tired with low energy last few years but now I am unable to cope the dizziness, sometimes depression, low energy that I can't focus on work or family.i don't think doctor thinks because of anemia, she didn't even prescribe for any brand.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

My personal opinion on this one is the anemia needs to be treated be it taking a pill and dealing with the side effects or finding a hematologist and getting some infusions. Have you talked with a hematologist? If you can't tolerate the iron in your gut try putting it directly in your veins, this needs treated. If you can't tolerate that iron then your best bet is going to be finding the cause, anemia is just a symptom. Find the cause and fix it. I agree with lady. You need to also find a Dr./hematologist that is going to help you treat this before it gets any worse.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Is there any chance you have gluten intolerance or celiac disease? It causes anemia by preventing iron absorption in the GI tract. If you have that, oral iron won't help you anyway, you would need IV iron infusions and a gluyen free diet. I would look into that unless you have any other explanation for your anemia.

Reply Reply

Tags
anemia, ferritin