HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anemia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/)
-   -   It's only feeling tired... Not! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/953284-its-only-feeling-tired-not.html)

Kaymarina 06-16-2013 11:41 PM

It's only feeling tired... Not!

Just why does everybody seem to think anemia is all about being tired ... I've not felt exceptionally tired ... I've have felt more tired.. Well I've had 4 children under 7 .. That's tired! I have debilitating symptoms !! Please please hasn't anyone els had these awful tingles and sort of burning twinges all over my body at varying times, my eyes are constantly out of focus and ear are ringing . My muscles ache! Yet all the time when I read medical web sites are even see the doctor they just say " you may feel really tired and look pale ' all this does is throw me into doubt that all my symptoms are anemia.. I then begin to think that I've go what ..... Ms? Or some other incurable disease.. I then tell myself that you are crazy! But as soon as I feel a pain again or try to walk normally without feeling dizzy... Those dreaded thoughts come back!

Does anyone else feel like this........ Or is it just me???

Kaymarina 06-17-2013 07:53 AM

Re: It's only feeling tired... Not!

Just me then !

Smargie 06-17-2013 09:25 AM

So, If your doc says that the only anemia symptoms you should have are being tired and pale, is he or she looking into anything else?!

My symptoms are certainly not as severe as yours--no tingling or vision problems. I don't hear a whooshing sound in my ears, but I do get these weird brain zap things that cut off my hearing with each beat and more aches and pains than usual. That said, I have seen much of what's going on with you listed as symptoms of anemia.

Also, I don't feel as tired as you'd think I would either. I know what you mean about kids exhausting you. I only had 2, but they were 18 months apart, and I remember just living for the time they would both nap at the same time so that I could have a nap, too. I don't feel as exhausted now as I did then.

So, I don't think it's just you....There just aren't that many people on the site right now. If you dig back a little to earlier posts I think you'll find other people with similar issues as yours. And also that this site was a bit more active 6 months ago--lots more replies in general.

Hang in there Kaymarina...sending good thoughts to you across the Atlantic.

ladybud 06-17-2013 10:38 AM

I understand your concerns, as some of your symptoms are outside the usual symptoms of anemia. Here's what I know can be caused by anemia, depending of course on severity: the standard pale, tired, but also short of breath with exertion, dizziness, muscle cramps in legs, like while climbing stairs, fast heartbeat, having to lie down after exertion. Some people with low ferritin seem to get ringing in ears and visual disturbance. Some of your symptoms could point to another underlying problem associated with the anemia. Like the muscle aches, tingling and twinges could be associated with an autoimmune disease, of which there are many, and often associated with anemia. I would ask Dr to do an autoimmune workup on you, which should include the following: sed rate and CRP (inflammation), B12 & folate (Nerve function), Vit D (often deficient), CK (muscle enzyme for muscle pain), ANA (for lupus), RA (rheumatoid arthritis), urine (lupus) and chemistry panel (general for lots of things). It is essential the cause of the anemia be determined. I cannot emphasize that enough. Anemia is a symptom of something else, which has to be identified and treated. Treating the anemia only is a bandaid over a gaping wound.

b2b 06-17-2013 09:22 PM

Yes, you can have many symptoms with anemia. If you read my posts you can see all my symptoms. After the iron injection, I am feeling bit better, but I still have visual disturbances and sometime dizziness, headache. I think my ferritin level is still under 30. I used to have horrible muscle pain all over my body. My doctor claims that my blood test is fine, no reason to go any further. I am going to have MRI of my brain. Like you I am concern thinking could be something else. You need to ask your doctor for more tests. You are not alone, take care.

Kaymarina 06-18-2013 12:18 AM

Thank you for your replies. Well that makes me feel a bit better. I had b12 test it was 500 and also the inflammation test was fine. I am going to supplement vitamin d anyway I don't suppose it will do any harm and I am also adding b12 supplements ... Just in case ! This morning I've got up and ears are STILL ringing I've been taking the iron supplements religiously eating liver and all iron rich foods. This is my 2nd week off work and they are badgering me to give them a return date... I just dont know what to tell them ... As today I have headache muscle pains , have permanent dizziness and visual distortion as well as the ear thing. I wish I could fast forward the time and feel well again. I suppose its a good a thing that there aren't as many people on these boards at the moment.... Less people suffering hopefully ....

ladybud 06-18-2013 07:46 AM

Be sure to take Vit C with the iron. It will aid absorption of the iron. And no milk with the iron as that delays absorption. I do hope this works and you find some simple reason for your anemia. You may have to ask to see a hematologist to get to the bottom of the cause. Treating it is not enough.

Kaymarina 06-18-2013 08:19 AM

Thank you ladybud... I know my periods are to blame ..one lasted 7 weeks... But i got over that and then didn't have one for about 10 weeks which was great. Then I had a very bad one that only lasted a week and I thought I got away with it but .. No .. 4 weeks later I crashed again and this is the result an abundance of symptoms! My gp says that maybe the periods will stop soon .. I'm just praying I don't have another for a long while certainly not before my holiday .. I feel I live on an endurance course with my life. The joy of being a woman... I'm coming back as a man !

Cymrygirl 06-18-2013 01:40 PM

Kay, my mother-in-law often jokes that if reincarnation were real, she would want to come back as "the daddy." Y'know -- come in after work, sit on the couch until supper, eat, sit on the couch some more, go to bed, dominate the remote control (and thus the TV), rely on the wife to find things you are looking for, etc.

If part of the problem is your period, I wonder if you might be able to go on birth control pills to regulate it. In my 20's, it really helped me. I was very irregular -- sometimes going 4 weeks between times, sometimes as much as 7 weeks between. I had severe cramps the first full day which sometimes put me in bed. Once I got on birth control, though, I knew down to the day (almost down to the hour) when I would start, and the volume of fluid and severity of cramps were greatly lessened. I could breeze through my period in about 3 days as opposed to 5 or 6.

mama2boys 06-18-2013 06:50 PM

I sympathize with you! I also had many of those symptoms. Not to mention emotions out of control, restless legs, cloudy thinking, etc..... What are your hemoglobin and ferritin levels?

Kaymarina 06-21-2013 06:40 AM

Hi
Mama2 boys my ferritin is 2 hb 10

mama2boys 06-21-2013 07:51 AM

Have you had iron infusion at all! My ferritin was 3 and hemoglobin 8 and the day I went to the hematologist they infused me before I left! If you have not been to one yet I strongly re come it, I have had 2 infusions now and am starting to feel better.

Kaymarina 06-21-2013 08:27 AM

The doctor never offers it. He said because of allergic reactions he won't offer it.... I have no idea why.. I am literally giving up on doctors in England x. Do you think I should improve soon I'm taking ferrous fumerate 3x day and 1 spatone ... Please give me hope today .. The thought of a future like this is horrendous x

mama2boys 06-21-2013 10:29 AM

You need a hematologist ASAP! I would also suggest going to an ER and tell them how low your ferritin is! Until theses levels increase you will not feel better! I had asked my primary doctor for over a year to send me and I had to hit rock bottom before she would! Sometimes you need to step over them to get help! I could not absorb anything so taking things by mouth did nothing for me! I just think your levels are so low you need more help!!!

ladybud 06-22-2013 04:10 AM

I agree that a hematologist and IV iron infusions would be your best bet. You really have to advocate for yourself to get what you need and be insistent when PCP drag their feet and are too slow or conservative at treatment. If you can see a hema. directly without referral, I would.