It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User
Bruising with anemia?

I noticed that I bruise very easily lately. I was told back in February I had very low iron so was taking 325 mg of iron (ferrous sulfate) 3x a day! I took this for 3 months, had my iron levels checked AGAIN and my iron went DOWN MORE instead of up!

I was having major leg cramping at night-- that has gone down since I've been taking a muscle relaxer EVERY night due to my TMJ acting up at the same time. I am still taking iron supplements and trying to eat more iron but due to TMJ it is hard at times. I drink TONS of water.

I have had itchy legs in the evening so I scratch them and I noticed the other day my thigh, the outside of my right thigh (quadricep really) is BRUISED, like bad! I also notice small bruises on my ankle bones which I have NO clue where I get them from. I see my doc again next week and will bring this up. Anyone else have this going on? I also black out a lot when I stand up, but that has been going on for years. Usually if I get up too fast.

p.s. my thyroid and kidney function came back normal. I had a whole panel done, with blood work. I think my vitamin D was a little low but I take extra of that with calcium at night.

Last edited by Mandolyn; 06-27-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
(female)

cahcinderella HB User
Re: Bruising with anemia?

Hi, I am also anemic and am having trouble with getting my levels up. Just curious....is you're white blood cell count elevated??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

I'm not sure about my white blood cell count. My doctor didn't mention anything last time I saw him. He just said my ferritin/iron was low and hemoglobin/hemocrit and prescribed me ferrous sulfate which I am still taking.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
(female)

Cymrygirl HB User

I get little bruises from time to time and no idea where they've come from, mostly on my arms and legs. I got them from since before I was actually diagnosed as anemic, so not sure if they are symptomatic or not. The last ones I got were a week or two ago in kind of unusual places (not places that would be hit or otherwise in contact with something that would make a bruise) -- the underside of my upper arm, and the back of my calf, both on the left side. Both of them were typical of the bruises I usually get, about the size of a nickel or quarter, and blue/purple by the time I see them.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

I normally get them on the side of my calf or thigh. I do workout and I used to think I just worked my legs too much or something but lately I am NOT working out enough to make this happen. Even before I don't think they came from doing squats. But I am starting to think maybe my blood is thin...

Old 07-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
(female)

arttochoke HB User
If I really scratch my leg, especially on the outside of my thighs or calves I get bruises. I think it's just scratching too hard can bust the blood vessels. I've had it happen for years. I also get smaller bruises on shins and arms but mainly they are from me being careless and walking into my bed or tables at work! I'm quite clumsy with my lower legs! I have noticed a bit more bruising since my ferritin has been low, but I wonder whether its me being more clumsy because I've felt so dizzy! I guess you have to work out what's normal for you bruising-wise.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Yeah, my legs ITCH at night! I am always scratching them and when I use regular lotion for dry skin it makes it worse so I haven't been using it. I am not diabetic and my kidney function is fine. I just have low iron and ferritin and red blood cell count is low. My doctor prescribed me ferrous sulfate so I take it twice a day at 325 mg. But it's not helping according to my last blood test. My levels went FURTHER DOWN! So I need to find out what is going on.

Reply Reply