HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Aneurysm (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/aneurysm/)
-   -   has anyone here had a ruptured brain aneurysm? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/aneurysm/208243-has-anyone-here-had-ruptured-brain-aneurysm.html)

pauline38 09-15-2004 06:28 PM

has anyone here had a ruptured brain aneurysm?

could you tell me what it feels like? with all of the weird headaches i get how will i know if it is an aneurysm????

Evonne667 11-14-2004 04:48 AM

Re: has anyone here had a ruptured brain aneurysm?

Hi

Sorry I can't explain to you how they feel. But my dad died of a subachranoid haemorrage 6 years ago.

It all started when he went to the shop and bent down for the newspaper, he suddenly became very dizzy with cold sweats followed by a severe headache. He was in bed with this headache for 4 days, doctors put it down to head cold. But on the 4th day he collapsed, we rushed him to hospital where they still didn't diagnose the aneurysm, they said it sounds like blood poisoning. They kept him in overnight, but the following day he collapsed again but this time come round like he had some sort of stroke. They tried to operate but it was too late for him. God rest him.

What I am trying to say you would know by the headache, because this is a sudden and severe headache, one you have never had before. Which only ease with painkillers, it never goes until the problem is sorted out. BTW. My father never suffered from headaches before all this.

pauline38 11-14-2004 06:23 AM

I am really sorry about your Dad! I also know someone who was in bed her headache was so bad and quite out of it, so much so that she was not capable of initiating a doctor's visit and her Mother never did either. I guess if you can't function because of it, it's time to get moving and have it checked out. Thanks for sharing that with me.

survivin 11-14-2004 11:03 AM

i have worked as an E.R. tech,flight medic(helicopter) and paramedic for sometime. now i am disabled with PTSD but i have dealt with this problem a number of times. sometines it wikll present after an instant where you placed a little additional strain on the pressure in your skull like bending over or pushing something and so on. sometimes present with other "increased cranial pressure symptoms" like blurred vision,nausea,confusion,lack of ability to feel or move a limb or smile. and of course the all famous instant death. but they "sometimes" can be repaired if diagnosed in a timely manner. a cranial CT should be ably to rule that out.
to EvonneMCFC,, i am so sorry to hear about that. when i hear stories like that. it makes me want to be able to put DR's in the electric chair for killing thier patients.

DylansMom 11-18-2004 06:48 AM

A lady I just met had her aneurism surgery 2 months ago and she said she got a terrible headache after exercising. It felt like someone hit her over the back of her head with a baseball bat and she felt a crack. I think it lasted 3 days before she got help and she is about 30 years old. Luckily the surgery worked (she seems healthy now) and her MRI check up and angiogram follow up is in January.

boaz 11-23-2004 03:44 PM

My husband had one and survived Thank you God!!, he'd always had "sinus headaches" he calls them, he smokes and I know that's the irritant to him, anyway he never told me his head hurt he just fell unconscious to the floor one morning, think about your family history, if say grandparents died of "strokes" which is what they may have called them before they had MRI's and dye tests available, anyone have polycystic kidney disease in your family, I read their connected don't know how or why? Also my dad had a hemorragic (sp?) stroke, which is where the vessel burts under high blood pressure weakened by it HBP, he lay in bed for several days almost screaming in his pain, something he'd never do, and would throw up his water before I got out of the door, I guess it was leaking then cause blood outside it's vessels hurts, bad, and he collapsed, then came to and had a seizure. Go get it checked if it continues bad, only 1 in 4 survive a brain aneurysm (that's ruptured) my hubby's that one I guess, but he has a few mental problems, otherwise we're very blessed. Please get to a doctor and let us know.....it may save your life, and the least you can look silly but who cares you'll be alive and feel better...

Alex6657 11-23-2004 08:46 PM

I very often describe my MONSTER headaches as brain aneurysms, but I've never actually had one.

Good luck in finding out what's going on.

tlsranch 01-19-2005 11:02 AM

I was diagnosed with a carotid arterial dissecting aneurysm in the brain just superior to the base of the skull 7 months ago. My symptoms were forgetfulness, dizziness, severe headache, fainting, then full-blown seizure to respiratory arrest. The hospital ran every test on me known to man-kind, and some that didn't, before they found the aneurysm. As soon as it was found, I had many surgeons coming to my hospital room wanting to see me, but not fix me. Every one of them said that I was inoperable. I am on a high dosage of coumadin to try and keep the aneurysm from moving which will ultimately lead to death or worse, comatose.

hrtofluv 01-31-2005 12:40 PM

My aunt just had surgery to repair 2 brain aneurysms.
She had gotten onto her sister's boat even though she had complained with a headache prior to getting there. Once on the boat, she got extremely worse and started vomiting - still thinking it was a serious migraine, they took her to the ER for hopefully a shot to help.
Upon review of the CT - they found 2 aneurysms (one large and one small). They took her via ambulance to Duke (about a 6-7 hour typical drive) in NC to have surgery on the larger one the next day. On the way, they determined that the smaller one would have to be done first and was done that night. The next day (after a short recovery period) they did surgery on the larger one.
She is fine now, but it was scary for awhile.
She just said it was the worst headache she had EVER had and she KNEW she was dying.
My mom's friend got a call from her 30-something daughter one day while doing laundry. She said she had a migraine and was going to take something and lie down. Her mom got worried after not being able to get her to answer the phone after an hour (she called to check on her). She had died. Her mom said she had told her that it was the worst migraine she had ever had before she laid down.
I have had one migraine where I called my mom to come over and sit with the kids just "in case" before - the worst one I've ever had. But she couldn't convince me to go to the ER. Now that my aunt along with my mom's friend's daughter have died - I know to NEVER let a "worst headache ever" just go. I mean the best thing to do is go to the ER and get it checked out. If it's a migraine - they can at least give you a shot of something to help. But if it is an aneurysm - then maybe they can save you.
Oh yeah - also had a former co-worker on an airplane complain with his eye just absolutely killing him. He went to the restroom on the plane to wash his face off and when he bent over, blood started pouring out of his eye. When they landed, they rushed him to the ER. He had a rupture that bled out through his eye - the ER doc said he'd never seen it before, but that him leaning over and letting it bleed out that way saved his life.
Best of Luck to you all!