It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

ryanandmaran1 HB User
Very scared about possible aneurysm!

I really hope that someone can ease my mind or give me some advice on what to do.

I am terribly worried that I may have an unruptured aneurysm. I'll start with my history: First, I had an great aunt die of an aneurysm at age 32. She had smoked since she was 18 and had just had a baby before the rupture.

As for myself, I smoked from age 17 - 22. I drank heavily (4 - 5 drinks a day, every day) for the majority of my 21st year. I also did cocaine every now and then that same year.

I am now 27, and no longer participate in any of the above behaviors, except for the occasional glass of wine or beer. I eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. My blood pressure is usually around 110/60.

HOWEVER, a few months ago, my right eyelid started twitching, and it hasn't stopped since. Even though this seems to be harmless in the majority of cases, everything I read on the internet says to consult a doctor if the twitch continues longer than a couple weeks, but every doctor I've spoken with shrug it off as if it's nothing.

Also, my blood pressure rose suddenly about two weeks ago and it hasn't gone down. I have tested it several times over the course of these weeks and it is always the same- about 126/76. I realize that is still not considered high blood pressure, but it is high for me. Does anyone know what would cause that kind of increase to remain?

In addition, I developed headaches on five days ago that have just now started to ease up. I went to urgent care two days ago and the doctor I saw ordered a CT scan. I have yet to find out the results, but she already told me that it will not detect an aneurysm.

So then I was hoping that when I had my follow up appointment with my doctor today, I could ask him for an MRI. But it didn't work out that way. He didn't even speculate on what could be causing the headaches, only saying that it wasn't a tumor or an aneurysm. (How does he know that??) He also said that the only way to detect aneurysms are invasive procedures that aren't necessary for someone not exhibiting any clinical signs of an aneurysm rupture. But an MRI isn't invasive, right?

So what I'm thinking of doing is just going to a Radiology place and paying for an MRI myself. I realize this is expensive, but I need peace of mind. Honestly, I am going crazy with worry.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 07:42 AM   #2

PJG HB User
Re: Very scared about possible aneurysm!

I had a CT scan of my head done 3 weeks ago due to headaches. They were trying to rule out a brain tumor or an aneurysm. However, they found an aneurysm and ordered a followup CT Angio which is just like the first CT scan except they use more dye. I saw a nuerosurgeon just last week and I had to take the films of my CT scans with me. So please have this test. It certainly does show if you have an anuerysm and many do run in families. However, also know that unruptured anuerysms usually do not have any symptoms. You are given an IV to inject the dye during the test but that is the worst part of it. It is very easy and quick. It only takes about 5-10 minutes.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

ryanandmaran1 HB User

I practically begged for an MRI, but they send that is too expensive of a test to do just to ease a patient's mind. So all I got was the CAT scan, which I found out looked perfectly normal.

So your aneurysm showed up on just an ordinary CAT scan? I was told those don't revel aneurysms? What will they do with yours?

Do you think I am at risk for having one? Is that why you think I should beg for more tests? Because my doctors are all convinced I am fine, but now I am scared again!!

P.S. My headaches went away and I now think they may have been caffeine-withdrawal headaches. Also, I am on day two of anti-axiety medication and my eyelid twitch is slowly disappearing.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #4

PJG HB User

You must have a CT with contrast. The contrast is dye which shows your blood vessels in your brain and yes, it will show an aneurysm. Find a doctor who will order that test for you just to put your mind at ease. As I said, aneurysms rarely have any symtoms and the odds of you having one are very slim. I am having an angiogram on Tuesday so my doctor will know the exact size, shape and location of my aneurysm and he will then suggest either surgery or just keeping an eye on it and repeating the CT scan in 6 months. As I said though....anyone's odds of having one is very slim. I just happen to be one of the unlucky ones.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

mayansun HB User

I would also advocate for further tests if you are concerned. I had an unruptured aneurysm diagnosed last year and had it clipped in June 2004, I'm 28 with no history of high blood pressure, smoking etc.

The aneurysm was first found on an MRI (w/o contrast) and confirmed with a CT with contrast and right before surgery and after an angiogram. Depending on the size and location, an MRI can detect an aneursym.

As another poster said there are typically no symptoms of unruptured aneurysms (unless due to the location they are impacting a nerve or something).

For more information you may wish to visit www.bafound.org the Brain Aneurysm Foundation website.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
(female)

studey HB User

It showed up on my ct that I had a annie , but they wanted better pictures of it and ordered MRI's and then a angiogram, That was years ago....It is inoperabe...Sometimes it is better not to know......Or is iT !!!!

Old 08-30-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
(female)

ryanandmaran1 HB User

Thank you all for your responses. Obviously, I would LOVE it if my doctor would agree to an MRI (since I found out I definitely cannot afford one!) but he won't. So I just need to trust him when he says he doesn't think I have one and let it go. There's no sense worrying myself sick about it. I already know far too much about aneurysms as it is, from doing so much research on them!

I'm very sorry that all of you have had to go through this frightening experience. Especially you, Studey. Thank you for all the advice and reassurance.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
(female)

silverstar2 HB User

For those of you that found out you had one.. what were your symptoms leading up to the point of getting tested?

Old 09-14-2005, 06:38 PM   #9
(female)

studey HB User
Talking Re: Very scared about possible aneurysm!

I just had a severe (thuderbolt ) headache, like no other, I never get headaches anyhow and this headpain had me rocking back and forth, grabbing my head. Very sudden. Anytime a headache like this happens to anyone~~~~get yourself to a hospital or to your PCP immediately. Now after that sudden headache, I have severe daily headaches but before that day, I never complained about a headache and didn't really know what one was...I sure do now...Hugs, Cindy

Old 09-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #10
(male)

ryanbabs HB User

I don't see the correlation in a twitch and aneurysms...but I'm no doctor. You seem to have a lot of anxiety due to your great aunt having that. My grandmother has had 2 aneurysms removed from her abdomen probably due to blood thinners she takes for blood pressure for years. She's also fought off colon cancer twice! She is one tough cookie!

I'm not sure how they found hers, but if you are really concerned, please find a doctor that will listen. I know what it's like to be blown off as a head case (2 neuros and my GP)...I have had twitches all over and tremors for over 2 yrs now (amongst other neuro symptoms), and just found out I was positive for Lyme's last week...

Please note also...your blood pressure will raise when you are anxious. I went to the doctor 4 yrs ago for bronchitis and they told me my BP was 140/100. I freaked out and everytime I tested it, it would be high...sometimes in the 160 range...now I know it is normal as my fears went from cardio to neuro problems. When I get my BP checked now, I think nothing of it and it is always 120 or less. My doc kept telling me it was normal, and I was getting nervous, but I wouldn't listen.

Last edited by ryanbabs; 09-14-2005 at 09:53 PM.

Closed Thread